1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. EricDH
    I would have to say that the difference between delta-sigma and True Multibit (or in general, multibit done right, with the attention to the time domain it deserves, like Mike does (and like Wadia in the past) and probably a bunch of others do) is more than "it sounds better". The sense of space on a real acoustical performance is fundamentally better. Once you appreciate that you don't want to go back. Certainly not for the modest price difference Schiit has between D-S and MB.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  2. jmimac351
    I didn't need a preamp but I bought one of the closeout Saga units. The price brought me into the market. "It's a remote controlled preamp with a tube for $200. It probably will never be worth less than $200... And people say it's great. I'd be *losing money* not to buy this..."

I use a Joule-Electra VAMP integrated in my office setup but the Saga now allows a stand-alone amp someday. Maybe I find a great deal on a little tube amp... or an Aegir amp. Or nothing. Whatever the case, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to lose $200 on this deal.

thebmc likes this.
  3. treecloud
    I think Jason and Mike and the rest of the Schiit team is the most interesting, creative, and fun audio electronics design firm in a looong time. I suppose that sense of fun is what gave rise to the nicknames, but I never could keep them straight, especially the mimby bimby... what?

Good idea to kill the nicks.

4. jmimac351
    Those nicknames can also make it more difficult to search for info about a specific product.

S-S-MR and golfbravobravo like this.
  5. bcowen
    Plus one on that. After more than a year of listening to this schiit, I still can't figure out what some of the nicknames refer to exactly. I remember spending an hour scanning through Schiit's website trying to find the "Mimby" everyone was talking about until it finally dawned on me it's what I was listening through while I was looking for it. :grimacing:

6. Robert Padgett
    Both you and I shared the same rationale. When Thunderdome broke open, I simply didn't see the advantages offered by the new and improved Saga+ for twice the money. I really didn't "need" a tube buffer preamp, as the Valhalla 2 and Vali 2 served those purposes. The remote control was the deal-maker.

Last night, while lying in bed, I was able to tweak the volume, without getting up, and touching anything.

$200 Value, You betcha! I have a new Modi 3 as the feed, and a receiver as the amplifier and my bedroom system is controlled by a remote at the bedside.

The Saga Classic may someday serve another role, but for right now, I am happy just being about to adjust from a distance.

ScubaMan2017 and bcowen like this.
  7. treecloud
    Flanking subs in the near field is an interesting variation also. This is basically where your subs have dual purpose as end tables on both sides of your listening position, and equidistant from the sweet spot. You don't want to cross them too high, about 100Hz, because localization effects creep in sooner than speaker flanked subs. Advantages? Room effect is reduced due to the near field placement, and aural improvements can include bass clarity, extension, and slam.

8. golfbravobravo
    Back in the day - when I worked for the UK's indigenous computer manufacturer - we were banned from using codenames as they invariably crept out to the public and into documentation of all kinds causing confusion at the very least. Though I do remember the Dragon being shot publicly on stage. IIRC, Manual from Faulty Towers was part of that undertaking.

We replaced the Dragon with a machine built around this newfangled thing called SPARC (and for those technical folks amongst you, ported UNIX SVR4 onto SPARC - most folks to this day think Sun did it) and delivered a very successful product. If any of you have read Kidder's 'Soul of a New Machine' he comes closest to capturing what it's like to build a new clean sheet machine in my experience.

Cheers

9. golfbravobravo
    You should take to @Ableza he knows some stuff about subs.

:)

Juan_R likes this.
  10. mks100
    Just curious if the certified renewed products on Amazon are certified through Schiit or a 3rd party. Thank you.

11. Ableza
    Really? I always thought SPARC came from Sun...

golfbravobravo likes this.
  12. golfbravobravo
    SPARC was a Sun product, but the team I was in ported SVR4 to SPARC. :)

Ableza likes this.
  13. Ableza
    AH! Thank you for the clarification. :)

14. XERO1
    Hey Jason.

Just noticed another typo on the Asgard 3 page.

It says: Gain: High = 6 (15.6dB) or Low = 1 (0dB), via rear switch

The gain switch is on the front. :nerd:

thebmc likes this.
  15. Paladin79
    IMG_1187.jpg This is part of the setup i will send @Jason Stoddard next week for his September 12th, 6sn7 equivalent shootout. I built all cables and two of the boxes, when hooked up two groups of four tubes each can be switched and listened to individually. All cables are as identical as I can make them.