Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 1, 2019 at 6:09 AM Post #50,043 of 149,387
Yep, I hear you, but some people want to chase measurements, and that's fine too--and you have to acknowledge that for best measurements you're looking at a delta-sigma design. Mike is absolutely adamant about True Multibit, but I'm more agnostic. My experience is that True Multibit sounds better, but if you guys like delta-sigma, that's fine too. I think measurements are important but not everything, but if you think they're all-important, that's fine too. We can all get along...there's tons of great products out there, today more than ever.

I would have to say that the difference between delta-sigma and True Multibit (or in general, multibit done right, with the attention to the time domain it deserves, like Mike does (and like Wadia in the past) and probably a bunch of others do) is more than "it sounds better". The sense of space on a real acoustical performance is fundamentally better. Once you appreciate that you don't want to go back. Certainly not for the modest price difference Schiit has between D-S and MB.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #50,044 of 149,387
I hope you don't feel too bummed about this trend, Jason, if you can call it such. Honestly, I did try the Saga + and liked it a lot and returned it *only* because I had to go mono with the Aegirs in order to drive my speakers properly. So I had to jump to Freya instead in order to run the Aegirs balanced. If I could have stayed with a stereo setup I would've been completely content with the Saga. I do hope in the end you retain one of them to keep something less expensive and in the smaller form factor. Not sure if Thunderdome means there is only one survivor...?

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the OG Saga blowout contributed to the lower sales of Saga S and +. That was an insanely good deal and it is easy to understand why they were snatched up.

I didn't need a preamp but I bought one of the closeout Saga units. The price brought me into the market. "It's a remote controlled preamp with a tube for $200. It probably will never be worth less than $200... And people say it's great. I'd be *losing money* not to buy this..."

I use a Joule-Electra VAMP integrated in my office setup but the Saga now allows a stand-alone amp someday. Maybe I find a great deal on a little tube amp... or an Aegir amp. Or nothing. Whatever the case, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to lose $200 on this deal.

Sep 1, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #50,045 of 149,387
In my arrogant opinion, "cute" nicknames indicate a lazy mind. Or at least they do to me.

I think Jason and Mike and the rest of the Schiit team is the most interesting, creative, and fun audio electronics design firm in a looong time. I suppose that sense of fun is what gave rise to the nicknames, but I never could keep them straight, especially the mimby bimby... what?

Good idea to kill the nicks.

Sep 1, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #50,047 of 149,387
I think Jason and Mike and the rest of the Schiit team is the most interesting, creative, and fun audio electronics design firm in a looong time. I suppose that sense of fun is what gave rise to the nicknames, but I never could keep them straight, especially the mimby bimby... what?

Good idea to kill the nicks.

Plus one on that. After more than a year of listening to this schiit, I still can't figure out what some of the nicknames refer to exactly. I remember spending an hour scanning through Schiit's website trying to find the "Mimby" everyone was talking about until it finally dawned on me it's what I was listening through while I was looking for it. :grimacing:

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #50,048 of 149,387
I didn't need a preamp but I bought one of the closeout Saga units. The price brought me into the market. "It's a remote-controlled preamp with a tube for $200. It probably will never be worth less than $200... And people say it's great. I'd be *losing money* not to buy this..."

--clip--

Both you and I shared the same rationale. When Thunderdome broke open, I simply didn't see the advantages offered by the new and improved Saga+ for twice the money. I really didn't "need" a tube buffer preamp, as the Valhalla 2 and Vali 2 served those purposes. The remote control was the deal-maker.

Last night, while lying in bed, I was able to tweak the volume, without getting up, and touching anything.

$200 Value, You betcha! I have a new Modi 3 as the feed, and a receiver as the amplifier and my bedroom system is controlled by a remote at the bedside.

The Saga Classic may someday serve another role, but for right now, I am happy just being about to adjust from a distance.

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #50,049 of 149,387
When integrated well, the added transparency and dynamics that flanking subs* bring to your mains is very very nice. I got my bookshelves (measured to 70Hz) to integrate with dual subs and the system got down to ~25Hz and sounded glorious. My current speakers measure almost flat down 20Hz (in-room) so I use the flanking subs to even out the bass. My better half says she's never heard music sound that way. Hopefully, that's a compliment :wink:

Using Room EQ Wizard (shareware) and a USB mic to integrate subs and smaller speakers makes the process more scientific but it can be done by ear.

*flanking subs is a google-able term. Lots of good information out there about the technique.

Flanking subs in the near field is an interesting variation also. This is basically where your subs have dual purpose as end tables on both sides of your listening position, and equidistant from the sweet spot. You don't want to cross them too high, about 100Hz, because localization effects creep in sooner than speaker flanked subs. Advantages? Room effect is reduced due to the near field placement, and aural improvements can include bass clarity, extension, and slam.

Sep 1, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #50,050 of 149,387
Those nicknames can also make it more difficult to search for info about a specific product.

Back in the day - when I worked for the UK's indigenous computer manufacturer - we were banned from using codenames as they invariably crept out to the public and into documentation of all kinds causing confusion at the very least. Though I do remember the Dragon being shot publicly on stage. IIRC, Manual from Faulty Towers was part of that undertaking.

We replaced the Dragon with a machine built around this newfangled thing called SPARC (and for those technical folks amongst you, ported UNIX SVR4 onto SPARC - most folks to this day think Sun did it) and delivered a very successful product. If any of you have read Kidder's 'Soul of a New Machine' he comes closest to capturing what it's like to build a new clean sheet machine in my experience.

Cheers

Sep 1, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #50,051 of 149,387
Flanking subs in the near field is an interesting variation also. This is basically where your subs have dual purpose as end tables on both sides of your listening position, and equidistant from the sweet spot. You don't want to cross them too high, about 100Hz, because localization effects creep in sooner than speaker flanked subs. Advantages? Room effect is reduced due to the near field placement, and aural improvements can include bass clarity, extension, and slam.

You should take to @Ableza he knows some stuff about subs.

:)

Sep 1, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #50,052 of 149,387
Just curious if the certified renewed products on Amazon are certified through Schiit or a 3rd party. Thank you.

Sep 1, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #50,053 of 149,387
Back in the day - when I worked for the UK's indigenous computer manufacturer - we were banned from using codenames as they invariably crept out to the public and into documentation of all kinds causing confusion at the very least. Though I do remember the Dragon being shot publicly on stage. IIRC, Manual from Faulty Towers was part of that undertaking.

We replaced the Dragon with a machine built around this newfangled thing called SPARC (and for those technical folks amongst you, ported UNIX SVR4 onto SPARC - most folks to this day think Sun did it) and delivered a very successful product. If any of you have read Kidder's 'Soul of a New Machine' he comes closest to capturing what it's like to build a new clean sheet machine in my experience.

Cheers
Really? I always thought SPARC came from Sun...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back