1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. rlow
    If you’re thinking of this mostly for for the 2-channel market, you need a motorized pot. I vote for a completely passive, with motorized pot, but make it a really good pot.

The goal should be to give folks a way to add the most transparent and simple volume control to your balanced DACs. Want input switching and gain, get a Freya S. But it needs a remote for sure. My two cents (for what it’s worth).

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    motberg, valiant66 and QueYo like this.
  2. bcowen
    Totally agree.

3. ScubaMan2017
    Tangent. Really? Tsk. :ksc75smile:
    My SYS is sitting neglected under my EITR and MODI. I was using it as a glorified A/B switch with the pot @ 100%. @Lurker0918 ... what are you using yours for?

4. bcowen
    @Jason Stoddard , I promise not to say anything about 300B's (in this post). :slight_smile:

If this has been covered in previous posts, my apologies 'cause I obviously missed it and I'll go re-read if necessary. But how does the new USB interface compare to the goings on with the EITR? Personally I think the EITR gets nowhere near the acclaim it deserves. In both my big rig and HP systems it makes a very noticeable improvement, which I assume is mostly due to isolating the crap-laden USB bus signal as it converts to the S/PDIF format. Is Unison a step up from that even?

5. artur9
    When integrated well, the added transparency and dynamics that flanking subs* bring to your mains is very very nice. I got my bookshelves (measured to 70Hz) to integrate with dual subs and the system got down to ~25Hz and sounded glorious. My current speakers measure almost flat down 20Hz (in-room) so I use the flanking subs to even out the bass. My better half says she's never heard music sound that way. Hopefully, that's a compliment :wink:

Using Room EQ Wizard (shareware) and a USB mic to integrate subs and smaller speakers makes the process more scientific but it can be done by ear.

*flanking subs is a google-able term. Lots of good information out there about the technique.

CAPT Deadpool likes this.
  6. Charente
    Perhaps, although I have heard no-one de-crying it ... all positive views and, I agree, it thoroughly deserves that ... it is a pity that the sales numbers don't justify its continued production or further development. An EITR 2, with Unison, would have been stellar IMO. I have bought my third and (probably) final EITR ... they are that good !

7. Alcophone
    Bifrost 2 in the house! Woohoo!

Rensek, Oveja Negra and QueYo like this.
  8. artur9
    Alcophone likes this.
  9. RickB
    Yes, the ability to use Unison with Modi Multibit would have been fantastic. But if Unison won't be offered with MM, it may be a deliberate decision to highlight the differences the higher tier products have with the entry level Multibit DAC.

10. Robert Padgett
    IF Unison USB sounds better than ModiMB EITR, it is going to be worth buying in. I finally got the EITR from a fellow Head-Fier and I simply cannot express how much better it sounds than Allo/DigiOne or HiFiBerry DigiPlus... no comparison. I can live with this. Bifrost 2 sounds like my next DAC, but I just bought a Modi 3 off b-stock...

RickB likes this.
  11. Derrick Swart
    Keep line up simple and replace the SYS with SYS S the same plus balanced connections for a bit more, i think that might be a hit, more expensive must be better logic !!!

thebmc likes this.
  12. RickB
    I agree that the Eitr is great; it's a fantastic combo with the Modi Mulitibit.

thebmc and bcowen like this.
  13. adydula
    ScubaMan 2017:

a. Did you try different players (example: Foobar, VLC, Clementine) = perceptable differences?
    Yes and no perceptable difference between Jriver MC 24 and Foobar 2000.

b. Replay Gain (i.e., loudness control): on/off?
    Off.

c. WASAPI: set as "event" or "pull" or "disabled"... Did you percieve a difference with this on/off?
    Tried both push and event in Foobar, in Jriver its only WASAPI, no choices.

Tried all the choices, they all were very close...I prefer WASAPI event. But its for technical reasons not a sonic attribute.

I'm pleased you got a chance to play with the beta-board and chose to share your musings, eh. :smile_phones:

Me too!!

I am totally elated that Mike and Jason released Unison and so glad I get to try it out instead of having to wait until January!
    Its a real winner here IMO. I have to say its "much" better sonically to me...

I will pop the Gen 5 back in after a few days to see what my "brain" percieves. :smile_phones:

I am now thinking of actually buying a Bifrost 2....the added benefit of all the other stuff in it and the price break for Bifrost owners is
    hard to pass up...thinking!!

Alex

14. belgiangenius
    So....when can we have Unison for our Yggdrasils? :ksc75smile:

15. RickB
    January I think.