Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 1, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #50,056 of 148,985
Hey Jason.

Just noticed another typo on the Asgard 3 page.

It says: Gain: High = 6 (15.6dB) or Low = 1 (0dB), via rear switch

The gain switch is on the front. :nerd:

Sep 1, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #50,057 of 148,985
IMG_1187.jpg This is part of the setup i will send @Jason Stoddard next week for his September 12th, 6sn7 equivalent shootout. I built all cables and two of the boxes, when hooked up two groups of four tubes each can be switched and listened to individually. All cables are as identical as I can make them.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #50,058 of 148,985
This is part of the setup i will send @Jason Stoddard next week for his September 12th, 6sn7 equivalent shootout. I built all cables and two of the boxes, when hooked up two groups of four tubes each can be switched and listened to individually.
Those purple/pink cables in the back...did you make those as well? They are pretty dope looking!

Sep 1, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #50,059 of 148,985
Those purple/pink cables in the back...did you make those as well? They are pretty dope looking!

Yeah those are Mogami star quad cable, I did not use a cotton mesh jacket on it, along with some Amphenol RCA connectors I like.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #50,060 of 148,985
This is part of the setup i will send @Jason Stoddard next week for his September 12th, 6sn7 equivalent shootout. I built all cables and two of the boxes, when hooked up two groups of four tubes each can be switched and listened to individually.
Good Shiit!

Sep 1, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #50,061 of 148,985
Fo
Yeah those are Mogami star quad cable, I did not use a jacket on it, along with some Amphenol RCA connectors I like.

Found it! Thank you! Do you think this would make good headphone cables as well? More curious than anything else =) mostly like them as you have purposed them...but the could make for a fun headphone cable build...

Sep 1, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #50,062 of 148,985
Right now I have all cables going from a Vali 2, through four switched channels, and on to a headphone output just to check out the cables. Jason will use pre-amps on to a power amp, and basically switch between four Saga's or whatever setup he prefers. I have had a half dozen people check out the tubes I am sending so if anything varies with those it will not be for lack of trying. :smile_phones: @bcowen provided parts and helped on four octal extension sockets. All tubes are encased in PVC so testing will be totally blind.IMG_1174 (1).jpg All tube bases are identical as well.

Sep 1, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #50,063 of 148,985
Fo

Found it! Thank you! Do you think this would make good headphone cables as well? More curious than anything else =) mostly like them as you have purposed them...but the could make for a fun headphone cable build...

I have built headphone cables with it, being star quad you can easily split off two wires per channel for dual entry headphones. Some people go to the trouble of removing the individual OFC wires, and then braiding the cables but please do not go to that much trouble. If you need some headphone wire I will send it to you no charge. I built a similar setup for testing headphone wire and really once you get oxygen free copper of decent quality, I really did not come across anyone who could tell much difference in wire, unless i substituted silver for copper.

If you try such a build, I use heat shrink tubing on the twisted pairs of wires going to each side of the headphone, this insures that all twists remain the same. If you need some help we can talk in a DIY thread on here.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #50,064 of 148,985
I have built headphone cables with it, being star quad you can easily split off two wires per channel for dual entry headphones. Some people go to the trouble of removing the individual OFC wires, and then braiding the cables but please do not go to that much trouble. If you need some headphone wire I will send it to you no charge. I built a similar setup for testing headphone wire and really once you get oxygen free copper of decent quality, I really did not come across anyone who could tell much difference in wire, unless i substituted silver for copper.
I’ll take you up on the offer, I’m on vacation but once I’m back, I’ll send you a pm (if I don’t forget, ADHD is a mo’flicka). I’ll send you a PayPal for shipping costs!

Sep 1, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #50,065 of 148,985
All cables are as identical as I can make them.

Um, Tom, you have *got* to quit putting off that appointment to the eye doctor. :stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

upload_2019-9-1_17-5-36.png

Sep 1, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #50,066 of 148,985
Um, Tom, you have *got* to quit putting off that appointment to the eye doctor. :stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

LMAO, four stereo channels, four colors. There are 18 individual cables, I am trying to keep it simple.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #50,067 of 148,985
Hey Jason.

Just noticed another typo on the Asgard 3 page.

It says: Gain: High = 6 (15.6dB) or Low = 1 (0dB), via rear switch

The gain switch is on the front. :nerd:
The Bifrost 2 manual warns not to cover any vent holes. It has no vent holes. :)

It also says not to put it close to a "heat source". So... no to stacking a Jotunheim on top? :ksc75smile:

It got quite hot under there, maybe Bifrost 2 could use some vent holes on the sides at least.

Sep 1, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #50,068 of 148,985
Flanking subs in the near field is an interesting variation also. This is basically where your subs have dual purpose as end tables on both sides of your listening position, and equidistant from the sweet spot. You don't want to cross them too high, about 100Hz, because localization effects creep in sooner than speaker flanked subs. Advantages? Room effect is reduced due to the near field placement, and aural improvements can include bass clarity, extension, and slam.
Amphion has an interesting solution; expansive but you can diy with minidsp

Sep 1, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #50,069 of 148,985
@Jason Stoddard

Are there any plans to incorporate relay-switched volume on any of the HP amps? Or the SYS? Channel imbalance on a HP is even more obvious than on a full stereo rig.

Not at any sane price level or size--it would only fit in a Mjolnir-sized amp, and Mjolnir is really too big. And we have tons of Asgard-sized headamps. And the Alps RK27 series pots are really good.

Would a remote-driven – but not relay-switched – volume control fit this chassis class? I drive a Yggy+Ragnarok at home, but am licking my chops at the potential of a new Bifrost+Joutenheim pairing. Sized properly for a work surface, portable enough for offsite travel...

Add up/down volume buttons to the remote wand and the package would be nearly perfect! *
* Add a balanced Loki to this stack for true perfection. <g>

Cheers and congrats on the new products, Jason.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #50,070 of 148,985
Tangent. Really? Tsk. :ksc75smile:
My SYS is sitting neglected under my EITR and MODI. I was using it as a glorified A/B switch with the pot @ 100%. @Lurker0918 ... what are you using yours for?
Basically using it as a glorified source switch and pot, haha. For two channel purposes, I have two vintage integrated/amps which I use. Primarily (for non-summer usage) I use my dad's Fisher 400 from the 1960's. I had it recapped, but everything is original, including the tubes (minus two). The jacks are really corroding and look flimsy, so I don't want to keep plugging in and pulling out wires and stressing them. Hence the use of the SYS and an external power on/off switch, (since the way to power the unit on is to turn the volume pot until the unit powers on). Possibly totally ignorant, but I don't want to keep fiddling around with that volume pot either. Maybe the unit itself is not worth much, but it carries a lot of sentimental value, and the SYS is extending that unit's life. I was also using it with a McIntosh MC250 (for summer usage) until I finally got a proper preamp. It only had one set of RCA jacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back