Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 16, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #44,851 of 151,473
Mar 16, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #44,852 of 151,473
99 dollars is the Normal B stock Vali 2 price.

B stock is cosmetic imperfections, clean returns, and warranty returns. All which are supposed to be vetted and refurbished and come with the same factory warranty as A stock. No idea to know what type of b stock unit you'll get, and no returns if you don't like it.
I seem to "b-stock" my new purchases fairly soon after they arrive...

Mar 16, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #44,858 of 151,473
I have - somewhere - an iPhone that was a VOIP handset long before the thing we now now was produced.
I still have it too. Mine is a hardware Skype device with a wireless handset made by Linksys. I read somewhere long ago that Apple bought the trademark from them. Correction: "Apple and Cisco settled their dispute on February 20, 2007. Both companies will be allowed to use the "iPhone" name in exchange for "exploring interoperability" between Apple's products and Cisco's services and other unspecified terms."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_iPhone
So, iPhone is not Apple exclusive.

Mar 17, 2019 at 1:05 AM Post #44,860 of 151,473
I don't know if it's stated explicitly anywhere but most references to Schiit POTS are for sealed Alps pots. The DeOxit pdf (page 5), referenced, is not encouraging regarding use of their product with sealed pots.

Sealed pots:
1. Found in newer equipment, may be difficult to restore,
and should probably be replaced.
2. Occasionally if the pots are not totally sealed, you may be
able to treat it in an ultrasonic cleaner using a 10%
solution of DeoxIT® D-Series.
Contact a CAIG representative for specific
recommendations and instructions
Yeah I was trying to avoid the sealed pots issue because that makes EVERYTHING more complicated.
And while it still might be possible in some cases to get some 'fader lube' inside the pot itself, it usually is just easier to replace the pot entirely.
Or do a warranty claim/repair etc.

JJ

Mar 17, 2019 at 1:25 AM Post #44,861 of 151,473
As I turn the pot, there is a region that turns "roughly" with additional, random spots of additional friction. Before and after that patch, it's very smooth with a constant amount of friction. It's barely noticeable if you rotate the knob quickly. However, if you turn it very slowly, it's quite obvious to the touch. Again, as of today, it doesn't affect sound quality. DeoxIt has been a fixture in the toolboxes of amateur radio operators and electronics techs for years so I wondered about its feasibility here.
I've been using DeOxit gold since the 90's for all sorts of electronics. From computer simms/dimms, all manner of connectors such as DB-xx etc, and audio rca, xlr, usb, etc..
It has solved computer glitches, improved audio performance etc.

The 'trick' is to use as little as possible, and not just hose down everything in sight.
To that end I use the cloth pads that are impregnated with DeOxit gold on almost everything, as it minimizes the amount actually applied.
https://caig.com/product/deoxit-gold-g50w/
And I usually add a 'spritz' from the spray can I have, to the wipes to help 'moisten' the wipes to help soak up the contaminants that get removed from the contact surface.
And you'd be surprised at what gets collected on those wipes.

JJ

Mar 17, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #44,862 of 151,473
Yes. When I first saw the nickname Baldr my first impression was that it's someone who is balding. Only today I learned that it's from Norse mythology.
BALD
bald-men-have-more-confidence-1498574161.jpg

BALDR
baldr_by_righon-d46rynf.jpg

Mar 17, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #44,864 of 151,473
Yes. When I first saw the nickname Baldr my first impression was that it's someone who is balding. Only today I learned that it's from Norse mythology.

Welcome to the Schiit Audio Head-Fi threads!

Mar 17, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #44,865 of 151,473
I still have it too. Mine is a hardware Skype device with a wireless handset made by Linksys. I read somewhere long ago that Apple bought the trademark from them. Correction: "Apple and Cisco settled their dispute on February 20, 2007. Both companies will be allowed to use the "iPhone" name in exchange for "exploring interoperability" between Apple's products and Cisco's services and other unspecified terms."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_iPhone
So, iPhone is not Apple exclusive.

That's the one. I think that's a diplomatic, post-hoc description of the dispute :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back