Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 15, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #44,821 of 150,936
Sweet isn't the word for it - that's a wonderful deal. Vali is glowing nicely on my desk right in front of me, driving a pair of AudioEngine A2s as I write. Pure heaven...
Don't get me wrong - I don't regret getting my Magni3. My Vali-2 has THAT glowing orb. And soon, I'll be trying some even bigger glass (to the eye-rolling [or hairy-eyebrowing] of @SchiitFerBrainz ). It's a pity it's not selling better. For nOObs like me, it's a great little toaster.

Mar 15, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #44,822 of 150,936
As Mr Stoddard likes to say, "As always there is conspiracy"

I might have misquoted him a little, but I think the essence of his quote is spot on.....

Trust me, I've already been down this rabbit hole lol. You can see my posts here and here. Like others have mentioned though, it's been called Loki Mini from the beginning, and they address the name in the last FAQ on the product page. But if it makes you feel better, I'm pretty sure there is a bigger Loki coming eventually. I think Jason mentioned it recently actually. But it might not be imminent so don't hold your breath.

the release, 18 months ago:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-1661#post-13746220
the quote: 'That’s my long-winded way of saying, “Welcome to Loki Mini, our first equalizer.”'

Conspiracy confirmed.

Mar 15, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #44,823 of 150,936
tenor.gif

Mar 15, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #44,824 of 150,936
Trust me, I've already been down this rabbit hole lol. You can see my posts here and here. Like others have mentioned though, it's been called Loki Mini from the beginning, and they address the name in the last FAQ on the product page. But if it makes you feel better, I'm pretty sure there is a bigger Loki coming eventually. I think Jason mentioned it recently actually. But it might not be imminent so don't hold your breath.

Jason did mention Loki Maxi recently, and basically said he may build it, eventually. Or not. He has been very clear on this point. And if it does see the light of day it will not become manifest in this calendar year.

And if you don't believe me, ask @dieslemat, he's the head of the Loki Maxi Fan Club.:smile_cat:

Mar 15, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #44,825 of 150,936
Don't get me wrong - I don't regret getting my Magni3. My Vali-2 has THAT glowing orb. And soon, I'll be trying some even bigger glass (to the eye-rolling [or hairy-eyebrowing] of @SchiitFerBrainz ). It's a pity it's not selling better. For nOObs like me, it's a great little toaster.
Lol, Magni 3's in the bedroom, Lyr 3 is downstairs. Life is good!

Mar 15, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #44,826 of 150,936
What do you mean by “feels a little rough”? Also before you squirt any solvents on anything I recommend asking Schiit service.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #44,827 of 150,936
Jason did mention Loki Maxi recently, and basically said he may build it, eventually. Or not. He has been very clear on this point. And if it does see the light of day it will not become manifest in this calendar year.

And if you don't believe me, ask @dieslemat, he's the head of the Loki Maxi Fan Club.:smile_cat:

The more members we have the higher the chance that Schiit will make it. :)

Mar 15, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #44,828 of 150,936
What do you mean by “feels a little rough”? Also before to squirt any solvents on anything I recommend asking Schiit service.
I've had this issue with some older volume knobs. I remember Schiit-Support suggesting users turn the knob all the way (through its rotations) back and forth a few times to alleviate the issue. I think it breaks up the crud within the pot. BTW - I'd also suggest a note to Schiit Service (I know the lube/compound you're referring to [best to check first]). Meh, my 2 cents...

Mar 15, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #44,830 of 150,936
@Jason Stoddard,

Have you ever considered doing something similar to Kickstarter for products that some people clamor for, but you are uncertain as to whether they will sell or not?

Example Loki Max, you design it, get a prototype or two done. Then say you get 250 or 500 people (or whatever number you need) to pay half of the cost up front in a semi refundable deposit, to take Loki Max to market. Leave the funding period open for 3 months or something. If you bring Loki Max to market, folks who bought in early pay the other half to receive their product, and you can throw in a shirt, coaster, signed manual, or some other swag folks like. If people who signed up for the product don't buy it, you keep their deposit. If product doesn't make it to market in 6 mo, 12mo or whatever, or if not enough people show interest, then you refund their deposit.

You mentioned having a lower powered 2ch integrated amp basically done at one point, but shelved it for what you thought would be lack of sales.

Some obvious flaws, kinks, and details to work through, but I thought it interesting enough of an idea to ask the question. You could even run it through your website, with links to Kickstarter for more exposure. The press generally likes Schiit. Probably wouldn't be hard to spread the word. A digital pre amp would be another project to consider and gauge interest.

Kind of a Kickstarter, massdrop hybrid.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #44,831 of 150,936
Question for the Collective:
Been running a Bifrost & Valhalla 2 combo for the past couple of years with no complaints. Over the past few months though, I've noticed the V2's volume control feels a little rough at my normal listening position of ~10 o'clock. In the past, I've been able to clean it up by rotating the knob from max to min a few times. Lately though, it hasn't helped as much. I really can't say if the issue is worse when it's hot. It doesn't introduce any noise into the output (yet). What are people's thoughts on using something like DeoxIT on the pot?
The deal with adding DeOxit is getting it in the pot but not getting it everywhere else.
And Caig, the makers of DeOxit and DeOxit gold etc makes such products.
I wouldn't use DeOxit D series (the red stuff) as it is somewhat aggressive and is meant for heavy oxidation issues.

Here is a sheet of instructions/ hints and tricks etc.
https://system.na3.netsuite.com/cor...&c=ACCT113328&h=eae6764a200575e713ca&_xt=.pdf
Here is the link to the Caig stuff.
https://caig.com/#

Also note it may affect your warranty, especially if you use 'too much' of it.
But DeOxit is wonderful stuff and can help deal with lots of contact issues.

JJ

Mar 16, 2019 at 1:41 AM Post #44,832 of 150,936
@Jason Stoddard,

Have you ever considered doing something similar to Kickstarter for products that some people clamor for, but you are uncertain as to whether they will sell or not?

Example Loki Max, you design it, get a prototype or two done. Then say you get 250 or 500 people (or whatever number you need) to pay half of the cost up front in a semi refundable deposit, to take Loki Max to market. Leave the funding period open for 3 months or something. If you bring Loki Max to market, folks who bought in early pay the other half to receive their product, and you can throw in a shirt, coaster, signed manual, or some other swag folks like. If people who signed up for the product don't buy it, you keep their deposit. If product doesn't make it to market in 6 mo, 12mo or whatever, or if not enough people show interest, then you refund their deposit.

You mentioned having a lower powered 2ch integrated amp basically done at one point, but shelved it for what you thought would be lack of sales.

Some obvious flaws, kinks, and details to work through, but I thought it interesting enough of an idea to ask the question. You could even run it through your website, with links to Kickstarter for more exposure. The press generally likes Schiit. Probably wouldn't be hard to spread the word. A digital pre amp would be another project to consider and gauge interest.

Kind of a Kickstarter, massdrop hybrid.

I like it! Keep the ideas and comments about the Loki Maxi coming and maybe @Jason Stoddard will move the it earlier in the product roadmap/schedule/plan

Mar 16, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #44,834 of 150,936
The deal with adding DeOxit is getting it in the pot but not getting it everywhere else.
I wouldn't use DeOxit D series (the red stuff) as it is somewhat aggressive and is meant for heavy oxidation issues.

https://system.na3.netsuite.com/cor...&c=ACCT113328&h=eae6764a200575e713ca&_xt=.pdf

JJ
This was a fantastic post, @johnjen (cntrl-c/cntrl-v to my personal reference library). I can't imagine how many pooched Schiit boxes get returned for servicing... and @SchiitFerBrainz ... cracks open the case, and sees THAT stuff (and he shudders). I believe knowledge is important. If I'm arrogant enough to abuse such chemicals... well, that's my own damn fault, eh. :ksc75smile:

Mar 16, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #44,835 of 150,936

JJ
I don't know if it's stated explicitly anywhere but most references to Schiit POTS are for sealed Alps pots. The DeOxit pdf (page 5), referenced, is not encouraging regarding use of their product with sealed pots.

Sealed pots:
1. Found in newer equipment, may be difficult to restore,
and should probably be replaced.
2. Occasionally if the pots are not totally sealed, you may be
able to treat it in an ultrasonic cleaner using a 10%
solution of DeoxIT® D-Series.
Contact a CAIG representative for specific
recommendations and instructions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back