1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. GumbyDammit223
    Ouch! Did not know they were sealed! Yeah, nothing short of removing the pot from the PCB and physically disassembling it will be of use then. DEFINITELY NOT worth the hassle or the potential for disaster to open the box up for something that is not detrimental to sound quality.

ScubaMan2017 likes this.
  2. Ableza
    As has been mentioned contact cleaning solvents have no effect on sealed pots. And I maintain, don't do anything without contacting Schiit service first. If I was you I'd simply rotate the control (with the power off) through the full range of motion rapidly several times, and also if it's not affecting the sound or performance, ignore it.

3. Rensek
    I missed or forgot about him talking about it before. I wasn't insinuating he should have a bunch of these going. One maybe two a year. On items he thought of, but wasn't sure about their success. He could start the process up, if it didn't hit his own specified interest level then he would scrap it. I wasn't suggesting user created polls like massdrop. More of a "hey guys it's Jason, I created a prototype product Z but I'm not sure if people will be interested in it. If X people deposit Y dollars in the next 3 months we will put it into production. " That kind of thing. He controls it and sets parameters. That would allow him to reuse as many designs and like parts as he can.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    Robert Padgett likes this.
  4. Robert Padgett
    I think in concept it is a good idea, but in reality, you would be limited by extant materials on hand...metal for example. While I don't have any knowledge of the process I am sure that if they could not use the metal chassis and covers they already produce, the case alone could make any short-run very expensive. I trust Jason's judgment of when and what products to release. They see the BIG picture, and we as fans and users only see our own specifics wants and desires. Jason once said that they made $1 million while he was building units in his garage. The volume of $99 products needed to make a profit, with low margins is probably something few of us can wrap our heads around.

5. neoaudiophyte
    I have two sets of suggestions, but first some definitions.

Cull - verb
    1. to remove or reduce
    2. to select from a large quantity or group

Null - adjective
    having or associated with the value zero

My first set of suggestions are: for Multibit D/A converter, I propose NoCull D/A converter. As in non of the original bits are lost; For the MegaComboBurrito filter, I propose NoNull filter, as a
    Thus you would have Modi NoCull, Bifrost NoCull, Gungnir NoCull, Yggdrasil, and the Universal NoCull card, feature Schiit's proprietary NoNull filter.

For my second set of suggestions: for Multibit D/A converter, Schiit could highlight that All the original Bits are used, thus I propose Allbit D/A converter; and for the MegaComboBurrito filter, Schiit could highlight that the filter is Time- and Frequency-domain optimized, thus I propose TiFr filter. (Kinda sounds Norse mythology like) Thus you would have Modi Allbit, Bifrost Allbit, Gungnir Allbit, and the Universal Allbit card, feature Schiit's proprietary Tifr filter.

6. Lurker0918
    While we're at it, Jason (or Mike) should dress up like Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, a leprechaun or whatever holiday it is, go to the Schiitr and everyone can sit on his lap and tell him what they wish for.

nick n and Zojokkeli like this.
  7. winders
    No, I did not misspell Xerox. You need to read what I was responding to again so you understand the context of my words. It had NOTHING to do with what company had the first window-based GUI. Xerox did NOTHING to make the general computing public think of a window as something other than a piece of glass.

Or are you just being pedantic in an effort to make yourself look knowledgeable?

8. winders
    There being B-stock inventory of a current product means that there are some available with cosmetic flaws and not that they are selling slowly.

Mike-WI likes this.
  9. Ableza
    Isn't that what people use this forum for?

10. ashirin
    The fact that there is B-stock inventory isn’t what made me think they are selling slowly; It was the pricing. Vali 2 is normally $149, and they are selling it B-stock for $99, which is a bigger-than-normal discount for a product of that price (and what makes it a good deal in my opinion). For example, Loki Mini, which also normally sells for $149, is only discounted to $129 in B-stock.

Of course, there could be a totally different reason for the discrepency in price, but one straightforward explanation is that the price is lower because demand is lower.

11. Robert Padgett

It seems to me that folks were talking about the knob being off center on the Vali 2, so I am betting that new metal came in and is in production, and the "cosmetic" issue is the slightly eccentric knob--which doesn't affect either sound quality or functionality.

ashirin likes this.
  12. US Blues
    If that were true we'd have more products featuring cats.

13. Rensek
    99 dollars is the Normal B stock Vali 2 price.

B stock is cosmetic imperfections, clean returns, and warranty returns. All which are supposed to be vetted and refurbished and come with the same factory warranty as A stock. No idea to know what type of b stock unit you'll get, and no returns if you don't like it.

14. Ableza
    I didn't mean to imply that posting here *worked*...

15. Robert Padgett
    I seem to "b-stock" my new purchases fairly soon after they arrive...

Jones Bob and RickB like this.