Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 13, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #44,731 of 150,618
Is there any possible conflict with audio companies that are already using the name "Unison"?
https://www.uaudio.com/blog/unison-quick-tip/
http://www.unisonresearch.com/en/

Doubtful. See where our ™ is located? We're not claiming "Unison," we're claiming "Unison USB." And if I'm wrong, we change the name. No huge deal. It's not like we're going to try to license it to everyone or anything. I just wanted a name that wasn't impersonal like "Gen 7" or "208SUX" or "TE9871."

I sure hope you guys are filling patents on this Schiit too. A ™ only affords so much protection.

Patents actually afford zero protection, while showing exactly what you're doing to everyone. Add a large legal budget and a team of lawyers and lots of time, and sure, you can protect your patent by suing infringers into submission, but that's not a viable business model for us. I doubt if you'd like to see $500 Modis and $5000 Vidars. (And we wouldn't last long making them.)

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 13, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #44,732 of 150,618
I can never tell if you’re being sarcastic or serious. :laughing:

Hang around ... you'll come to love Pietro like we all do. He's the perfect blend of old-school Italian and new-wave Dutch.
Sublime, in my mind. Ask him a question :)

Mar 13, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #44,735 of 150,618
Jason,
I really appreciated this chapter, not because it is about trademarks and marketing, but because it pulls together summaries of your amp topologies and multibit DACs in one place. I have read your other chapters on these individual subjects, having the summary in one chapter is very helpful. The addendum on the mega-combo-megabrrito filters and differences in the four multibit DACs completed the summary for me.

Even though I am not an electrical engineer I do appreciate your creative work on amplifier topology and anxiously await the release of Aegir into the wild. Although I hoped for it in January, do take the time to "get it right the first release", as I am not going to wait for the second or third production run to buy it!
NF

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #44,736 of 150,618
@Jason Stoddard -- How about 'HD Multibit' or "Multibit HD" where HD stands for high depth?

**PM me and I'll tell you where you can ship my Gumby. :D

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #44,739 of 150,618
Doubtful. See where our ™ is located? We're not claiming "Unison," we're claiming "Unison USB." And if I'm wrong, we change the name. No huge deal. It's not like we're going to try to license it to everyone or anything. I just wanted a name that wasn't impersonal like "Gen 7" or "208SUX" or "TE9871."

Patents actually afford zero protection, while showing exactly what you're doing to everyone. Add a large legal budget and a team of lawyers and lots of time, and sure, you can protect your patent by suing infringers into submission, but that's not a viable business model for us. I doubt if you'd like to see $500 Modis and $5000 Vidars. (And we wouldn't last long making them.)
What is the purpose of a patent then?

It sounds like there is protection, unless you mean there is not pragmatic protection for a smaller company based on lack of enforcement by the USPTO.

(bold added)
https://www.uspto.gov/patents-getting-started/general-information-concerning-patents
"The right conferred by the patent grant is, in the language of the statute and of the grant itself, “the right to exclude others from making, using, offering for sale, or selling” the invention in the United States or “importing” the invention into the United States. What is granted is not the right to make, use, offer for sale, sell or import, but the right to exclude others from making, using, offering for sale, selling or importing the invention. Once a patent is issued, the patentee must enforce the patent without aid of the USPTO."

I'm not a patent attorney or anything, but I hear a bit about it from my neighbor who is a patent attorney for a multi-national company.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #44,740 of 150,618
The costs of enforcement are prohibitive, while in the meantime you have disclosed all of your tech to the world at large in the course of obtaining the patent in the first place, not to mention the costs associated with the latter process, which are stupid-level.

Mar 13, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #44,742 of 150,618
I don't own any of your products. I started looking at your junk because I'm in the market for a DAC for 2 channel. The difference in your DAC tech is very important to point out as there is a hot mess of DAC marketing to sort thru that is full of fancy claims & names. The info on your site about what "Multibit" is doing, and why you probably want it, is very important. That differentiator needs to be POUNDED to separate from the pack. I like the SingularCombo words for this stuff. TrueBit, RealBit, MusicBit... all of those seem to flow into the discussion of what It is, what It's providing, how It's different / better than "the other guy", etc.

And then there's RealSchiitBit, TrueSchiitBit, TheRealSchiitBit... but that might be close to jumping the Schaark.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #44,743 of 150,618
I don't own any of your products. I started looking at your junk because I'm in the market for a DAC for 2 channel. The difference in your DAC tech is very important to point out as there is a hot mess of DAC marketing to sort thru that is full of fancy claims & names. The info on your site about what "Multibit" is doing, and why you probably want it, is very important. That differentiator needs to be POUNDED to separate from the pack. I like the SingularCombo words for this stuff. TrueBit, RealBit, MusicBit... all of those seem to flow into the discussion of what It is, what It's providing, how It's different / better than "the other guy", etc.

And then there's RealSchiitBit, TrueSchiitBit, TheRealSchiitBit... but that might be close to jumping the Schaark.

What DAC do you have now? I had never heard a MultiBit one, not really any high end DAC period, and just took delivery on a BiFrost Multibit Monday. It is an absolute revelation. Considering how good this sounds (through all inputs), I can’t fathom how good Gumby and Yggy must sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back