Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 1, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #44,446 of 151,250
Yeah I misspoke when I said sell/get rid of them. I'll buy a second pair before I sell them. Stereophile (for what its worth) still ranks the 650 as an A component and they've been on the market since when, 2006, 2005?

According to that article they were introduced in 2003. The hd600s were introduced in the late 90s.

Mar 1, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #44,448 of 151,250
I have no complaints with the Vali 2 driving my new pair of 6XX. I can use high gain, and it is a very pleasant level at 12-noon on the volume. Quite honestly, a 'ModiMB/Vali2/6XX' set-up could cost thousands of dollars to improve upon, IMHO.

The Bifrost Multibit/Lyr3/HD650 setup I now use improves upon it impressively and does not cost thousands of dollars more.

Mar 1, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #44,451 of 151,250
I've read mixed reports about using the Lyr 3 with the HD650. I take it you consider them a good combination?

Absolutely!

Mar 1, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #44,452 of 151,250
Oh, I definitely wouldn't want to get rid of my HD6XX, even if I was "upgrading" to a better pair. Even though I prefer speakers, one of my favorite aspects of headphone listening is how easy it is to swap transducers for different applications and moods. And as many have pointed out, the HD6XX is a great pair of headphones that scales well with higher end electronics. Even if I was buying better headphones, I would keep the HD6XX around for comparison alone, especially since so many people have bought or heard it (including the HD650 of course) over the years; It's a staple in audio reviews to use as a comparison, so owning it makes reading those reviews and talking about headphones with random people (like we're doing right now) easier.

I do feel though that people get a bit defensive about them (or any value oriented devices). They are excellent value, which to me means they are generally better than most of the options at the same price, and also generally better than many headphones that cost more. But I've emphasized generally because sound is so subjective, and I don't like flat out "these are the best" recommendations for really any transducers. Secondly, while more expensive definitely does NOT mean better... it shouldn't be a surprise that a competent designer can make a headphone that outperforms something like the HD6XX when working with a budget that's twice or more as high.

My original comment to @Rensek was basically just that if he did end up deciding to spend money on one of the best headphone amps around, I think it makes a lot of sense to also consider getting an upgraded pair of headphones to match.

To whoever is lucky enough to be close to the Shiitr, the best thing to do is bring your own headphones there. That way, you can easily swap between different amps and DACs with your headphones to hear what upgraded electronics will do for them. You can also then swap between your headphones and any of the nice headphones they have there on a specific amp/DAC to hear the difference that will make.

If you're not close enough, the next best thing is trying to find another audio shop that has a similar selection of gear from different manufacturers, or making it out to Canjam if there is one nearby. This is another thing I love about head-fi... You can't exactly do that with the speakers you have at home!

Mar 1, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #44,454 of 151,250
Go to a local headphone meet, or PM people who live close to you.
Canjams are too loud and chaotic to really evaluate gear. A quiet listening experience is better.
IMO, YMMV, and etc. :)

Mar 1, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #44,456 of 151,250
Mar 1, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #44,460 of 151,250
Relax, Pietro---it only appears that way to those of us who have been married for over 35 years.

pietro

Sam ... you have a dangling pietro there!

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back