1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. Ableza
  2. Zer0.p0int.Zer0
    I agree Bifrost/Lyr/HD650 combo sounds great.

Anyone know if Rag2 will go “click click click” when adjusting volume like Saga/Freya?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  3. valiant66
    Hmm. I don’t know where you’re shopping but I just did a quick search on Amazon.ca and a brand new pair of Hd650s were CAD$487 and a replacement cable from Sennheiser was $32. From a simple economic angle I don’t believe Sennheiser sells a headphone for under $500 with a $600 cable attached to it.

B1AA458A-EDB1-475B-A94B-1ADBE93DE29D.png

EDIT: Whoops! Sorry. Misread the original post - you said the headphones were $600, not the cables. My bad.

4. Mike-WI
    After cancelling Tidal and switching to Qobuz Sublime+, I noted the Roon v1.6 which incorporates Qobuz.
    I was searching around on the Roon site and saw this...
    https://roonlabs.com/partners.html

Roon Tested devices
    Roon Tested devices from our partners have been profiled and tested by both Roon Labs and the device manufacturer for maximum compatibility.
    Roon will recognize these devices and send them audio optimized for their capabilties.

upload_2019-3-2_14-1-8.png

5. Rensek
    No idea, but my guess is yes, as Jason mentioned relay stepped attenuators.

CAPT Deadpool likes this.
  6. Zer0.p0int.Zer0
    That’s what I suspected. Maybe I’m the only one, but I can’t stand the clicking.

7. Rensek
    I use them to figure out how many clicks out of the 64 ive used. After a certain volume level you can't hear them anymore, iand it becomes more difficult to know how close I am to max volume. It's the only product I've ever used that has them, but I don't have a huge opinion for or against.

CAPT Deadpool and mp29k like this.
  8. mp29k
    The click is a reminder that you’re getting an amazing volume control system that usually only comes in amps 3-4 times this price. Find a volume you like and don’t mess with it and no clicks, haha

9. prof.utonium
    you think Lyr will ever get a remote?

10. earnmyturns
    A remote on a headamp seems a low priority, the amp is easily reachable from where you are listening. Schiit is not into redundancy.

Mike-WI and mp29k like this.
  11. Alcophone
    You all know about the WAF, but the CAF cannot be underestimated.

P_20190302_161343_vHDR_Auto_1.jpg

He is not that mean, look:

P_20190302_161139_vHDR_Auto_1.jpg

P_20190302_163127_vHDR_Auto_1.jpg

12. jmimac351
    Hi @Jason Stoddard ...what is the Output Impedance of the Aegir into 8 ohms? My speakers are already damped... amps with nice "bloom" work well with them, i.e., Tubes. It's uncommon to find SS amps with a Damping Factor lower than 50. If what you've designed is musical > clinical... I'm very interested. I have an OTL amp that is wonderful, but it's also a room-heating beast. It's the same story for the speakers in my office. Having something to swap in / avoids the hassle of a variable OTL tube amp would be fun to play with. And, depending on how good it really is...

CAPT Deadpool and mp29k like this.
  13. dieslemat
    1B67B3E9-1C07-4340-A7A4-769B91C9EB40.jpeg
    I got this from another post (i think from another forum) no copyright violation intended :)

CAPT Deadpool and Alcophone like this.
  14. jmimac351
    Thanks. I've seen that material and it doesn't have the info I'm looking for; although, I am interested in the "current feedback" reference. What I'm asking about is whether this is a Zero or (maybe) "very low" feedback amplifier. I suspect Jason understands what I'm getting at. To offer an amp at a much lower output vs Vidar at a higher price, I think I understand what kind of Schiit is being shoveled. Nelson Pass is slinging this sort of thing with his First Watt amps... that latest have V-FET transistors... they only cost around $4,000, if you can find one used. I'd love to have one.

CAPT Deadpool likes this.
  15. rdaneel
    Wow, that was a remarkably high-minded resolution. I would probably not have been so kind and understanding. Well played.