Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 2, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #44,476 of 149,335
From Herb Reichert's CanJam article:
But I couldn’t figure why the on-off switch was nestled almost behind the uni-pivot tonearm and not on the stand-alone motor pod

because it was designed by @Jason Stoddard ? The man has no shame when it comes to odd power switch placement :)

Mar 2, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #44,477 of 149,335
From Herb Reichert's CanJam article:

because it was designed by @Jason Stoddard ? The man has no shame when it comes to odd power switch placement :)
I’ll reserve judgement until I try one, but it does look like an ergonomic nightmare. I’m really hoping the speed controller they have planned has a front mounted power switch that can serve in place of the main one on the table itself when you add it to the Sol (hint hint).

Mar 2, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #44,478 of 149,335
Mar 2, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #44,480 of 149,335
I just had to get some warranty work on my <6 month old HD6xx. The stock cable Massdrop shipped with my run was... meh. Gentle flexing at its jack caused the cans to short out. I contacted Massdrop and they gave me a partial refund (so I could buy replacement cables). Genuine Sennheiser HD650 are still running over $600 CDN so I'm glad I went the Sennheiser-Massdrop collaboration (for my first decent-quality headphone). I'm learning not to blindly worship at the HD6.... alter. :ksc75smile:
Hey, positive point = I get to practice my soldering skills & attach a beefy jack on the pooched cable.

Hmm. I don’t know where you’re shopping but I just did a quick search on Amazon.ca and a brand new pair of Hd650s were CAD$487 and a replacement cable from Sennheiser was $32. From a simple economic angle I don’t believe Sennheiser sells a headphone for under $500 with a $600 cable attached to it.

B1AA458A-EDB1-475B-A94B-1ADBE93DE29D.png

EDIT: Whoops! Sorry. Misread the original post - you said the headphones were $600, not the cables. My bad.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #44,481 of 149,335
After cancelling Tidal and switching to Qobuz Sublime+, I noted the Roon v1.6 which incorporates Qobuz.
I was searching around on the Roon site and saw this...
https://roonlabs.com/partners.html

Roon Tested devices
Roon Tested devices from our partners have been profiled and tested by both Roon Labs and the device manufacturer for maximum compatibility.
Roon will recognize these devices and send them audio optimized for their capabilties.

upload_2019-3-2_14-1-8.png

Mar 2, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #44,485 of 149,335
I use them to figure out how many clicks out of the 64 ive used. After a certain volume level you can't hear them anymore, iand it becomes more difficult to know how close I am to max volume. It's the only product I've ever used that has them, but I don't have a huge opinion for or against.
The click is a reminder that you’re getting an amazing volume control system that usually only comes in amps 3-4 times this price. Find a volume you like and don’t mess with it and no clicks, haha

Mar 2, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #44,487 of 149,335
you think Lyr will ever get a remote?
A remote on a headamp seems a low priority, the amp is easily reachable from where you are listening. Schiit is not into redundancy.

Mar 2, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #44,489 of 149,335
Hi @Jason Stoddard ...what is the Output Impedance of the Aegir into 8 ohms? My speakers are already damped... amps with nice "bloom" work well with them, i.e., Tubes. It's uncommon to find SS amps with a Damping Factor lower than 50. If what you've designed is musical > clinical... I'm very interested. I have an OTL amp that is wonderful, but it's also a room-heating beast. It's the same story for the speakers in my office. Having something to swap in / avoids the hassle of a variable OTL tube amp would be fun to play with. And, depending on how good it really is...

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #44,490 of 149,335
1B67B3E9-1C07-4340-A7A4-769B91C9EB40.jpeg
I got this from another post (i think from another forum) no copyright violation intended :)

Hi @Jason Stoddard ...what is the Output Impedance of the Aegir into 8 ohms? My speakers are already damped... amps with nice "bloom" work well with them, i.e., Tubes. It's uncommon to find SS amps with a Damping Factor lower than 50. If what you've designed is musical > clinical... I'm very interested. I have an OTL amp that is wonderful, but it's also a room-heating beast. It's the same story for the speakers in my office. Having something to swap in / avoids the hassle of a variable OTL tube amp would be fun to play with. And, depending on how good it really is...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back