Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 28, 2019 at 6:31 AM Post #44,416 of 151,580
Last edited:
Feb 28, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #44,417 of 151,580
Feb 28, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #44,420 of 151,580
I know I am awaiting the next version of the Loki, bigger and full of more awesome! It is the #1 piece of audio gear that I am waiting for.

We'll make sure you get a hat when they're ready.

Feb 28, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #44,422 of 151,580
@Jason Stoddard
You claimed Rag 1 was the best amplifier you knew how to make back when it released. Was that your goal with Rag 2 or is it simply to have a competitive integrated in your lineup after introducing more specialized options (dedicated speaker vs dedicated headphone) with various topologies?

The goal for Ragnarok 2? Simple. To make a much better amplifier than Ragnarok.

Sorry, it basically isn't any more than that.

As always, there is no conspiracy.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 28, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #44,424 of 151,580
Oof I want Rag 2 and I don't even have the transducers for it. Would HD6xx and lores be worth buying rag 2.
I am a bit biased, because those are the same components I have, and I don't think you would be out of line powering them with a component the cost of Rag2 (assuming it comes in close in price to Rag1). The Tekton Lore and the HD6XX are both known to be very high performing for their low price products. Also, with electronics, I don't see the worry of spending more, as you will be getting the most out of your transducers. The other way around, very high cost transducers with low priced electronics, I don't agree that is the best way to spend money (despite common recommendation), as often lower priced electronics are noisy, or have other technical issues that will definitely be apparent in higher priced transducers. I say go for it.

Feb 28, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #44,425 of 151,580
I am a bit biased, because those are the same components I have, and I don't think you would be out of line powering them with a component the cost of Rag2 (assuming it comes in close in price to Rag1). The Tekton Lore and the HD6XX are both known to be very high performing for their low price products. Also, with electronics, I don't see the worry of spending more, as you will be getting the most out of your transducers. The other way around, very high cost transducers with low priced electronics, I don't agree that is the best way to spend money (despite common recommendation), as often lower priced electronics are noisy, or have other technical issues that will definitely be apparent in higher priced transducers. I say go for it.

Yeah, I was very drawn to rag 1, but no remote kept me away. Rag 2 with remote, and 128 stepped relay, and a shielded transformer have me very intrigued. I keep reading that transformer quality plays an immense role in how good an amp is.

I'm very happy with vidar and saga now, and I even dipped my toes into tube rolling other day. Some tubes coming all the way from Russia.

It will be interesting to see how the price and reviews all shake out. Rag has been that pedestal item, and the pedestal now seems more alluring.

Feb 28, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #44,428 of 151,580
@Rensek just curious, would you sell your Saga/Vidar combo if you bought a Rag 2?

Given that you have very efficient speakers, I think it makes perfect sense to question if a Ragnarok would be a better solution for you since you also use headphones.
That being said... you might consider an upgrade to the HD 6XX :sweat_smile: Not that there is anything wrong with them... I own them and love them actually, and I think they sound better with higher-end amplifiers. Still though, I think generally, the transducer makes the biggest difference in the sound (not to mention the experience overall when you consider things like comfort), and if you're chasing audio quality, you can get it with better headphones in my opinion much easier than you can with a better headphone amp (assuming the amp has enough power to drive your headphones, but even a Magni 3 will do that with the vast majority of headphones).

Personally, if the Ragnarok solution was tickling my fancy, in your situation, I'd wait until there was enough in the budget for Rag 2 and a headphone upgrade at the same time (or shortly after). Or forget all that and get it anyways because it will make you happy. Personally, I think the Ragnarok 2 is gorgeous and that's worth something on its own.

Feb 28, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #44,429 of 151,580
@Rensek just curious, would you sell your Saga/Vidar combo if you bought a Rag 2?

Given that you have very efficient speakers, I think it makes perfect sense to question if a Ragnarok would be a better solution for you since you also use headphones.
That being said... you might consider an upgrade to the HD 6XX :sweat_smile: Not that there is anything wrong with them... I own them and love them actually, and I think they sound better with higher-end amplifiers. Still though, I think generally, the transducer makes the biggest difference in the sound (not to mention the experience overall when you consider things like comfort), and if you're chasing audio quality, you can get it with better headphones in my opinion much easier than you can with a better headphone amp (assuming the amp has enough power to drive your headphones, but even a Magni 3 will do that with the vast majority of headphones).

Personally, if the Ragnarok solution was tickling my fancy, in your situation, I'd wait until there was enough in the budget for Rag 2 and a headphone upgrade at the same time (or shortly after). Or forget all that and get it anyways because it will make you happy. Personally, I think the Ragnarok 2 is gorgeous and that's worth something on its own.

I would consider selling it. Depends upon how fast I want to buy Ragnarok vs whether I want two expensive (to me) systems in my house. I just told another user privately, I think saga/vidar is awesome.

Yeah I'd consider upgrading HPs at some point. One small step at a time. Hard to appreciate Ragnaroks improvement over Magni 3 if I sell the only decent HPs I own and have used with Magni 3 before letting rag have at em.

Yes I love how it looks.

Feb 28, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #44,430 of 151,580
I would consider selling it. Depends upon how fast I want to buy Ragnarok vs whether I want two expensive (to me) systems in my house. I just told another user privately, I think saga/vidar is awesome.

Yeah I'd consider upgrading HPs at some point. One small step at a time. Hard to appreciate Ragnaroks improvement over Magni 3 if I sell the only decent HPs I own and have used with Magni 3 before letting rag have at em.

Yes I love how it looks.
Tough opinion maybe on a site that dedicated itself to headphones, but I find the current pricing model for headphones in the mid to high end to be borderline offensive. I wish Schiit would get Into producing transducers just so they could disrupt that market as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back