1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. tromba
    I was wondering about that... If I wanted to bi-amp my speakers, couldn't I put a Y on each output from the preamp, and run right channel in to L&R on one amp and left channel in to L&R in the other?

US Blues likes this.
  2. dieslemat
    Im happy to keep saying Loki Max for the rest of the year :)

US Blues likes this.
  3. 33na3rd
    Yes, you could. That's known as "vertical" bi-amping.

tromba likes this.
  4. sam6550a
  5. US Blues
    That's why you get to design the hats. I do believe that the market for a good EQ/balance with balanced in/out is larger than some believe.

mhamel, motberg, Mizicke5273 and 3 others like this.
  6. US Blues
    You could do that, and you'd have experiment a bit to see if that optimizes the sound. Some would argue in favor of using one for lo freq signals, and the other for hi freq signals. Other would argue in favor of running Aegir as a mono-block. Only your ears can answer these questions.

tromba likes this.
  7. JohnnyCanuck
    cat w spinner.gif

8. valiant66
    I think there’s a common misunderstand when it comes to speaker ratings. The upper number is not a minimum. In other words you don’t need “at least” 200W to use them. Speakers are usually power rated something like 30W-200W. That generally means the manufacturer is confident they will operate within specs when driven by amps within that power range. But some people are perfectly happy to use 8W amps, others use 400w amps. Same speakers. They still make music. At a certain point it becomes your preference.

People also say you can never have too much headroom, but even that is an exaggeration. If speakers sound good and loud with 10W, then there’s going to be no material headroom difference if you’re driving them with 100W amps versus 200W amps.

And yes, the same speakers used in a desktop setup will sound different than If they’re located on stands in the middle of a large room. They’ll need more power to sound as loud. But I’ve never had to turn the volume past 2 o’clock, even with a 50W amp, in a 20’ x 20’ living room, and my speakers are pretty inefficient. Just now I happen to be driving them biamped with 4 x 75W, so each speakers gets 150W, but they sounded just as good and got loud enough when I was driving them with a 50W amp.

So if you’ve got a normal size living room with reasonably efficient speakers, 35W will almost certainly be enough and 100W will give you all the headroom you could want.

Cheers!

CAPT Deadpool, leonthebumme and mp29k like this.
  9. Timster
    Good info, and more detail can be found with an internet search like "thermal vs mechanical speaker overload" if you want to get more technical

This is a good article : http://sound.whsites.net/articles/speaker-failure.html

CAPT Deadpool likes this.
  10. EricDH
    And, there may be even a bigger risk to speakers from underpowered amps than from overpowered amps. Because if you amp is underpowered, you will keep cranking the volume up, until the amp will produce lots of distortion and will eventually clip. And that kills loudspeakers more than anything else....

audio philestine and US Blues like this.
  11. porchwizard

12. dieslemat
    So we now have the Rag2. I wonder what are these 4 intros before Sol.
    Timeline (April-Jun)??

13. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    19th of March. Good day. My twin brother's birthday.

AudioGal, RCBinTN, HumanFly and 4 others like this.
  14. EricDH
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    liamo, 33na3rd and CAPT Deadpool like this.
  15. US Blues
    Do you know anyone else born that day? :wink:

33na3rd and audio philestine like this.