Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 25, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #44,371 of 148,489
To my peeps:
If you are struggling with streaming music to your home network devices, I stumbled across the following 2017 article on How To Geek dot com.....{self-snip}.......I'm getting closer to happy (reliable) streaming to my Chromebook-then-Modi. :ksc75smile:......{self-snip}.....Adding value to the thread, eh......{snip}...Sincerely, ScubaMan.
I started with Window's Media Player (and its embedded media streamer)...
I don't think that would happen. My guess is that turning on DNLA made the discovery possible, but serving the files is achieved by other means.....{snip}.....Cheers
... @golfbravobravo gently set me on the path of other media servers. I took a look at Universal Media Server. Ah ha! Version 7.9 was updated this month! And it supports FLAC. I'm trying it out. So far, so good.
Before I moved to Roon, I was using https://minimserver.com/ to serve my FLAC library. On a Synology NAS, not on Windows, but MinimServer is cross-platform. Worth a try?
@earnmyturns ... you gave me the motivation to look at non-M$ options. Thanks! If UMS doesn't stream properly, I'll check out minimserver dot com. Thanks, eh.
...this post has nothing to do with my musings. I just like beer. :beerchug:
Well, in fairness, he was talking about Win7...
@JamminVMI ...I appreciated the post. I want to squeeze as much life out of my desktop as I can. MintOS might be its next operating system.
.....{snip}.....When the contractor manufacturers make mistakes like this, what are the repercussions?....{snip}....
When it happened to Yves Veggie Cuisine (used all kinds of exotically-sourced textured vegetable protein [and non-meat bacon flavouring?!]), our management used it for leverage. It seems Schiit chooses not to publicly rip their suppliers a proverbial new-one on this message board. I respect that. Behind closed doors, well,..... :triportsad: I'm really, really glad I took on a lower stress occupation -- teacher. Yeesh.

Feb 25, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #44,372 of 148,489
tenor.gif

Feb 26, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #44,375 of 148,489
I’m curious, Jason. When the contractor manufacturers make mistakes like this, what are the repercussions? Do they lose per unit cost when they make mistakes (cost cutting?) on the first articles since this impacts your time to market? Is there basically no impact (you caught us this time, lol)?

I don't know of course, I don't work at Schiit Audio, but as I have gotten to know the company, and how Jason describes how he is dealing with issues, I expect that they work with contractors in a very cooperative and collaborative way. The contracts may well contain clauses to deal with the issue you describe, but most likely this will only be used as last resort.

Feb 26, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #44,376 of 148,489
Do you have a link of the mods you did thats why youre calling it as a JggyB? Im genuinely curious.
Why is it JggyB? Is it attached to a Yggy?
The 'B' designation has to do with the Yggdrsil's S/N, which now starts with a 'B'.
And the Jggy name is what I've always called this dac because I'm a Manly Man and us Manly Men have difficulty with yggyness of all sorts.
It's just too much a girly girl thing for our manly masculine self image to handle…
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

As for my mods, they are both external (fuses, cables etc.) with a few internal ones that leave no trace of their existence, as in, they are completely reversible and invisible.
Most would probably consider what I have done as either extreme or pointless exercises in snake oil management… hahahahahahahahahaha

I, of course, would beg to differ, but then I'm the guy who has named his dac JggyB because it fits, and I can.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

JJ
And my tweaks etc are all documented in the DIY'r cookbook thread.

Feb 26, 2019 at 5:13 AM Post #44,377 of 148,489
I don't know of course, I don't work at Schiit Audio, but as I have gotten to know the company, and how Jason describes how he is dealing with issues, I expect that they work with contractors in a very cooperative and collaborative way. The contracts may well contain clauses to deal with the issue you describe, but most likely this will only be used as last resort.
First articles are called first for a reason. The deal probably is part of the agreed run size after first/second/ etc. articles are approved. The better they work together the smoother.
Incentive for supplier to do it right first time. Incentive for buyer is not to waist time (time = money :ksc75smile:)

Feb 26, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #44,378 of 148,489
The 'B' designation has to do with the Yggdrsil's S/N, which now starts with a 'B'.
And the Jggy name is what I've always called this dac because I'm a Manly Man and us Manly Men have difficulty with yggyness of all sorts.
It's just too much a girly girl thing for our manly masculine self image to handle…
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

As for my mods, they are both external (fuses, cables etc.) with a few internal ones that leave no trace of their existence, as in, they are completely reversible and invisible.
Most would probably consider what I have done as either extreme or pointless exercises in snake oil management… hahahahahahahahahaha

I, of course, would beg to differ, but then I'm the guy who has named his dac JggyB because it fits, and I can.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

JJ
And my tweaks etc are all documented in the DIY'r cookbook thread.

Oh ok cool. All this time I thought you have modded a Jotunheim

Feb 26, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #44,379 of 148,489
I’m surprised you won’t be putting Unison into an updated Eitr, mainly because I’m surprised that it’s not selling well - I had assumed it would have been. It’s an excellent product and one of the best priced USB decrapifiers out there.

Wyrd I can understand because it’s getting pretty long in the tooth at this point - people likely feel there is better out there now.

Perhaps people just don’t want to convert to SPDIF as much as staying with straight USB into their DACs? I guess lots of DACs are USB only now. Or maybe decrapification just isn't as big a deal as it was in the past. Or maybe most of your customers already have a Schiit DAC with Gen 5 anyhow, so who needs Eitr. Interesting nonetheless.

I'm surprised too. I too assumed that a good number of people who bought Modi Multibit and DAC's from other companies, bought Eitr as well.

Eitr sold well for a time, but it appears its time has passed. No huge deal; we never pushed it as a product, and I'm not sad to see it go.

So will there never be a Unison Eitr? Not impossible, but not high on the list. We have a lot more interesting things to introduce. And soon.

I am hoping Modi/Modi Multibit and the AK4490/Multibit DAC modules get USB Electromagnetic and electrostatic isolation, thus the loss of Eitr would more palatable.

Feb 26, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #44,380 of 148,489
I'm surprised too. I too assumed that a good number of people who bought Modi Multibit and DAC's from other companies, bought Eitr as well.

I am hoping Modi/Modi Multibit and the AK4490/Multibit DAC modules get USB Electromagnetic and electrostatic isolation, thus the loss of Eitr would more palatable.

Given Jason's post on Modi Multibit, I think that is a wildly optimistic expectation. Eitr is still available, I would suggest buying one before they are pulled if you are interested in what they bring to Modi Multibit.

Feb 26, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #44,382 of 148,489
I’m curious, Jason. When the contractor manufacturers make mistakes like this, what are the repercussions? Do they lose per unit cost when they make mistakes (cost cutting?) on the first articles since this impacts your time to market? Is there basically no impact (you caught us this time, lol)?

This is one of the reasons you do first article runs, to catch things like this. If Schiit is anything like the companies I've worked for, the first thing they'll do is check their documentation and make sure their Gerbers are calling out the correct copper weight. Then, the CM will check their documentation to see where the phuck-up occurred. More than likely, the CM will owe Schiit another run of boards for free, and if they want to make amends, they'll turn them fast. It depends if the CM wants Schiit's business. If they do, they'll make it right. You can't hold them accountable for potentially lost future sales, well you can try but it won't get very far. Schiit happens. You catch it, identify the source, and fix it. Then you move on.

Feb 26, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #44,383 of 148,489
I suspect it's a close-knit community of suppliers & distributors. Failed promises lead to fewer orders. I bet reputation's everything.

Feb 26, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #44,384 of 148,489

don't forget that majority of the people do not have the same insight as we have. Also the extra box count is leaning towards rather not than yes one extra box. I am experiencing extra box issues now with my Vali2 and using the fulla2 as DAC. Works fine. Sounds good but I am not sure if the difference between this set-up and only the Fulla2 justifies the confusion with cables/space/not matching boxes/not stable sitting on their feet boxes etc. Suddenly a lean desk sounds very appealing. Actually with just the Fulla2 I prefer the convenience of just my laptop output above the slightly better iPad sound (then I need the power usb mini on the fulla2). I am afraid that convenience always wins when SQ differences are relatively small

Feb 26, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #44,385 of 148,489

Users who are viewing this thread

Back