Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 26, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #44,402 of 149,160
Hey guys,

A couple of quick answers:

1. What are we gonna do about the boards? We can spend a ton of time pointing fingers, or re-order and re-test. Guess what we're doing. Yeah, it'll be sorted later, all of our boards are essentially done by the same company, so they'll make it right if it's a real problem.

2. Bigger Lokis? Maybe someday. It's not a super high priority, I'm afraid. I've figured out how to do a chassis that doesn't cost a fortune and allows us to do an affordable step-up Loki, which makes a more-bands or parametric version feasible. The crazy all-out, 4-figure, relay-stepped one is still on the back burner because it's pretty niche. Basically, 2019 is done for new product intros, and it doesn't have a Loki in it. Ask me again in 2020.

Now, back to it. Wrangling Aegir put a big dent in my schedule (this weekend was supposed to be the catch-up time, but it turned out to put me more behind.) No worries, the stuff I was trying to catch up on was the fun kind of work (new development). Well, new development minus the BOMs and the kits--too much stuff simply isn't assemblable by us anymore, so it has to go to to the PCB assemblers for prototyping, which front-loads some of the boring stuff.

All the best,
Jason

Hi Jason,

Thank you for the update regarding the future of Loki.

Feb 26, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #44,403 of 149,160
Two single ended inputs for the amp to work in stereo, one balanced input for mono bloc operation. Similar to Vidar.
I was wondering about that... If I wanted to bi-amp my speakers, couldn't I put a Y on each output from the preamp, and run right channel in to L&R on one amp and left channel in to L&R in the other?

Feb 27, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #44,404 of 149,160
Hi Jason,

Thank you for the update regarding the future of Loki.

Im happy to keep saying Loki Max for the rest of the year :)

Feb 27, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #44,407 of 149,160
Im happy to keep saying Loki Max for the rest of the year :)

That's why you get to design the hats. I do believe that the market for a good EQ/balance with balanced in/out is larger than some believe.

Feb 27, 2019 at 7:40 AM Post #44,408 of 149,160
I was wondering about that... If I wanted to bi-amp my speakers, couldn't I put a Y on each output from the preamp, and run right channel in to L&R on one amp and left channel in to L&R in the other?

You could do that, and you'd have experiment a bit to see if that optimizes the sound. Some would argue in favor of using one for lo freq signals, and the other for hi freq signals. Other would argue in favor of running Aegir as a mono-block. Only your ears can answer these questions.

Feb 27, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #44,409 of 149,160
cat w spinner.gif

Feb 27, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #44,410 of 149,160
Lore specs say 100-200W power handling...will one Vidar power them? Or do you need two?

I think there’s a common misunderstand when it comes to speaker ratings. The upper number is not a minimum. In other words you don’t need “at least” 200W to use them. Speakers are usually power rated something like 30W-200W. That generally means the manufacturer is confident they will operate within specs when driven by amps within that power range. But some people are perfectly happy to use 8W amps, others use 400w amps. Same speakers. They still make music. At a certain point it becomes your preference.

People also say you can never have too much headroom, but even that is an exaggeration. If speakers sound good and loud with 10W, then there’s going to be no material headroom difference if you’re driving them with 100W amps versus 200W amps.

And yes, the same speakers used in a desktop setup will sound different than If they’re located on stands in the middle of a large room. They’ll need more power to sound as loud. But I’ve never had to turn the volume past 2 o’clock, even with a 50W amp, in a 20’ x 20’ living room, and my speakers are pretty inefficient. Just now I happen to be driving them biamped with 4 x 75W, so each speakers gets 150W, but they sounded just as good and got loud enough when I was driving them with a 50W amp.

So if you’ve got a normal size living room with reasonably efficient speakers, 35W will almost certainly be enough and 100W will give you all the headroom you could want.

Cheers!

Feb 27, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #44,411 of 149,160
I think there’s a common misunderstand when it comes to speaker ratings. The upper number is not a minimum. In other words you don’t need “at least” 200W to use them. Speakers are usually power rated something like 30W-200W. That generally means the manufacturer is confident they will operate within specs when driven by amps within that power range. But some people are perfectly happy to use 8W amps, others use 400w amps. Same speakers. They still make music. At a certain point it becomes your preference.

People also say you can never have too much headroom, but even that is an exaggeration. If speakers sound good and loud with 10W, then there’s going to be no material headroom difference if you’re driving them with 100W amps versus 200W amps.

And yes, the same speakers used in a desktop setup will sound different than If they’re located on stands in the middle of a large room. They’ll need more power to sound as loud. But I’ve never had to turn the volume past 2 o’clock, even with a 50W amp, in a 20’ x 20’ living room, and my speakers are pretty inefficient. Just now I happen to be driving them biamped with 4 x 75W, so each speakers gets 150W, but they sounded just as good and got loud enough when I was driving them with a 50W amp.

So if you’ve got a normal size living room with reasonably efficient speakers, 35W will almost certainly be enough and 100W will give you all the headroom you could want.

Cheers!

Good info, and more detail can be found with an internet search like "thermal vs mechanical speaker overload" if you want to get more technical

This is a good article : http://sound.whsites.net/articles/speaker-failure.html

Feb 27, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #44,412 of 149,160

Cheers!

And, there may be even a bigger risk to speakers from underpowered amps than from overpowered amps. Because if you amp is underpowered, you will keep cranking the volume up, until the amp will produce lots of distortion and will eventually clip. And that kills loudspeakers more than anything else....

Feb 28, 2019 at 12:41 AM Post #44,413 of 149,160
Feb 28, 2019 at 3:53 AM Post #44,414 of 149,160
Maybe. But let’s tot it up:
  • We really think we’ll be starting with Aegir in January or February.
  • Then there’s gonna be a major intro in March.
  • After that, we have Sol sometime in Q2. I hope.
  • But before that, we're going to have four more intros. Yes. Four.
  • Oh yeah, and then there’s a couple of big intros around summer. Or maybe 3, depending on how you're counting.
  • And let’s not forget one or two nearer the end of the year.
That’s right up there at 11.

So we now have the Rag2. I wonder what are these 4 intros before Sol.
Timeline (April-Jun)??

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back