Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 31, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #43,442 of 149,304
Like Scatman John? Pretty sure baldr would say 'sounds like ass'! But good throwback to the 90s.

Well that, and the people who like to play with schiit. If you're not familiar, count your lucky stars and don't google it.

Jan 31, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #43,444 of 149,304
GaN is a semiconductor device material change, not a power supply topology change. GaN devices can be used in linear or switching power supply topologies, depending upon the desires of the circuit designer. So, GaN power supplies is meaningless without knowing the circuit.

Yes, I was referring to the benefits derived from using GaN vice Silcon for the internal components. I realize GaN can be used in multiple topologies. I've built multiple Bottlehead and DIYAudiostore power supplies and I'm in the process of upgrading my BHC to Schotky diodes (not GaN) already.

Break Break, proceeding to a slight Apples to Oranges comparison as I've been using Schotky diodes with linear power supplies so far. The way I understand it the Schotky diodes the main benefit for audio is derived from the faster switching speed when compared with other diodes. What I mean is the diode turning off to prevent reverse voltage/current when the alternating current alternates at 50 to 60hz (coincidentally in the audible spectrum of 20Hz to 20Khz aka bad). Thus with Schotky Diodes less mains noise is introduced to be filtered by your power supply caps etc.

I haven't dived in to the world of voltage regulators beyond using exactly what the specs call for... for example in the Vali Mini coaster.

If anyone wants to expound I'm all ears as this is just my plain English understanding.

I'd be interested to see someone post a linear vs a non linear (switching) power supply schematics for 120VAC to 5V DC at 2A bonus if it includes the BOMs.

Edit: to be clear I've looked at the difference between linear and non-linear power supply schematics but I've yet to fully grok the difference to the point of being able to build my own custom linear power supply for use with Pi DAPs. I have figured out that heat is a serious constraint for the 120VAC to 5VDC at 2A coming from the voltage regulators.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #43,445 of 149,304
... I have figured out that heat is a serious constraint for the 120VAC to 5VDC at 2A coming from the voltage regulators.
If you take the voltage down to Low Voltage via a 120V to 6V transformer, for example, bridge rectify and smoothing caps for DC to a Low Drop Out 2A regulator, like a KA278R05C for example, heat from the reg would only be in the region of 4 Watts @ 2A but would allow for a DC supply sag down to 5.5V (mains fluctuation etc.) whiile maintaining 5V reg output
just an idea ...

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #43,446 of 149,304
If you take the voltage down to Low Voltage via a 120V to 6V transformer, for example, bridge rectify and smoothing caps for DC to a Low Drop Out 2A regulator, like a KA278R05C for example, heat from the reg would only be in the region of 4 Watts @ 2A but would allow for a DC supply sag down to 5.5V (mains fluctuation etc.) whiile maintaining 5V reg output
just an idea ...

So like a http://www.antekinc.com/an-0206-25va-6v-transformer/ would work nicely then and build two 5V outputs for the pi and any aux power requirement.

Jan 31, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #43,447 of 149,304
I just came across this article on new GaN usb power supplies. I know others have talked about the benefits of GaN for transitors in Class D.

https://apple.news/ASpEtVEugTxq_9KzDnJrqmA

I wonder how these new GaN power supplies will compare to linear power supplies like the ifi ipower, the Apple Walwarts etc for noise. Will they operate at a higher frequency pushing noise out of the audio band?

Anyway I’d love to hear your thoughts @Jason Stoddard if you test any with the Modi3.

The next generation of Class D amps are likely to adopt this for their powersupply implementations en masse. We're seeing the beginning of it already.

Jan 31, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #43,449 of 149,304
I just came across this article on new GaN usb power supplies. I know others have talked about the benefits of GaN for transitors in Class D.

https://apple.news/ASpEtVEugTxq_9KzDnJrqmA

I wonder how these new GaN power supplies will compare to linear power supplies like the ifi ipower, the Apple Walwarts etc for noise. Will they operate at a higher frequency pushing noise out of the audio band?

Anyway I’d love to hear your thoughts @Jason Stoddard if you test any with the Modi3.
While I agree that the two orders of magnitude increase in switching frequency is nice for power supplies for electronics and LED lighting, I don't think that Schiit is going to use it in a Class D amp.

Mike has a five decade history of taking scientific and military grade parts and repurposing it for audio.

GaAs chips have been in use for decades in the Military space and there is more experience with their properties and durability. In addition, they offer a FIVE ORDERS of magnitude increase in switching frequency. This is going to be too tempting for Mike and Jason.

Jan 31, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #43,450 of 149,304
upload_2019-2-1_10-50-59.jpeg
HugeMinorCanine-small.gif
tenor.gif
tenor.gif

Jan 31, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #43,452 of 149,304
No Aegir in January, huh.. sad face:triportsad:

Nope, still a couple of weeks out. If I can have a couple for the first Schiitrmeet, I'll have them. But that's still a question mark.

What I should be able to guarantee at the Schiitrmeet, however, is a first article Sol--this is the real deal, from the actual castings, using actual production parts. It might not have a painted plinth, but other than that, it should be very very very close to what we'll be shipping soon. It'll even have the working real-time VTA adjust.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 1, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #43,454 of 149,304
Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #43,455 of 149,304
...Happy Friday, Schiit-Brothers-And-Sisters....

As a citizen in the centre of Canada's universe, I'm just used to having no choice; I'm old enough to remember Cablevision (TM, right?). Well, HTG made an interesting comparison between THAT and the current aural-darling, Streaming.

https://www.howtogeek.com/402533/streaming-services-are-beginning-to-look-like-cable-companies/

I buy into the current paradigm: iTunes (where I'm buying the 'right to play it'... yeesh, I hope Apple never releases a 'kill command' of some kind to their ALAC or AAC files [insert my paranoid, Aluminium-foil-hat-here]). I use Google Play as a music locker (and accept that Google compresses my music files to XXXKbps whatever-their-codex-is).

I understand streaming's here to stay. I wonder if digital files will ever be able to be sold-and-bought? Can a file be given a unique identifier... that's more elegant than DRM? My disc collection's not going anywhere. I just can't shake the notion of owning a physical copy of SOMETHING. And library discs? Well, that's a possible stopgap (EAC is my friend, eh). What a strange time to be alive! :ksc75smile:

Still waiting for my flying car,
ScubaMan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back