Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 30, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #43,411 of 149,304
At the risk of going off topic (chorus of guffaws ensues,) have been enjoying Neil Gaiman's 2017 book Norse Mythology. Not only some excellent stories, but plenty of good product names for new Schiit. If they haven't entirely abandoned the Norse theme, that is. Jil, and now Sol? Hey, guys, why'd you name an Made in USA turntable after a Hencho en Mexico beer? Oops, sorry, that's Designed, Engineered and Manufactured in the USA, not Made in USA. Call back the hit squad, FTC!

Jan 30, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #43,413 of 149,304
Schiit related post, for those considering b stock saga - the preamp is very neutral with the stock tube. That being said, it responds very well to different tubes. A friend on here sent me a Foton 6SN7 from 1953 or so. I was amazed at how it changed the sound. It added more bass, which I like, but the big seller for me was how it brought out the treble. It adds this lively color to the top end. Saga is my first tube experience, pretty cool stuff.

Saga comes with the old crappy black remote, if you want the nice one spend the extra 17 dollars on the aluminum one.

Jan 30, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #43,414 of 149,304
tenor.gif

Jan 30, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #43,415 of 149,304
At the risk of going off topic (chorus of guffaws ensues,) have been enjoying Neil Gaiman's 2017 book Norse Mythology. Not only some excellent stories, but plenty of good product names for new Schiit. If they haven't entirely abandoned the Norse theme, that is. Jil, and now Sol? Hey, guys, why'd you name an Made in USA turntable after a Hencho en Mexico beer? Oops, sorry, that's Designed, Engineered and Manufactured in the USA, not Made in USA. Call back the hit squad, FTC!

I think this a case of undercapitalization...the new TT is spelled Schiit SOL (or as in 'Schiit Outta Luck') Although cerveza has caused digestive problems, or maybe it was the comidas authenticos?

Jan 30, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #43,416 of 149,304
I have recently watched a bunch of the (probably over dramatised) "Highway Thru Hell" show on Netflix. They showed some very foolish driving antics in terrible winter conditions, and the lack of prep/understandig of some of the drivers was scary. They were lucky in many cases. I don't know why anyone would want to drive in the winter there unless you absolutely had to. There should be more like you on the roads - prepared.

I don't remember ever driving more than about an hour out of Fairbanks during the Winter. I drove NE a few times to Chena Hot Springs (great place for cross country skiing, watching the northern lights, or ideally both at the same time). Or south to North Pole, AK. Definitely you don't leave Fairbanks in Winter without a plan when it is -40F or -50F (at this range when you park for an hour your tires freeze with the flat area that is in contact with the road so the first five minutes of driving its like you have square Flintstone tires). Also that far out of town there typically are not AC outlets in the parking lots (ok dirt patch) to run the battery blanket, engine block heater, oil pan heater, transmission pan heater, etc. Which means if you turn your car off for more than an hour you many not get it started again. :sweat:

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #43,417 of 149,304

But... Sol is Norse Mythology? And actually a perfect pairing with the Mani (the moon)? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sól_(sun)

Jan 30, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #43,418 of 149,304
Question for those listening to a Modi Multibit. How long does it take for a well broken in Modi to warm up and sound its best? In summer months my stereo gets unplugged frequently due to lightning. Thinking of buying Modi Multibit to hear what a ladder dac can do for the Oppo 105.

Sorry no cat pictures to share.

Jan 30, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #43,419 of 149,304
I normally turn on my Modi Multibit when I get up in the morning and turn it off when I go to bed. Although I don't usually listen to it right away, I would say 30-60 minutes is enough to pretty much get it to its full potential, at least very close.

Jan 30, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #43,420 of 149,304
Question for those listening to a Modi Multibit. How long does it take for a well broken in Modi to warm up and sound its best? In summer months my stereo gets unplugged frequently due to lightning. Thinking of buying Modi Multibit to hear what a ladder dac can do for the Oppo 105.

I just turn my Mimby on and listen. I don't have a lot of spare time to let it warm up. I figure one minute for the DAC to initialize and for the tubes to warm up and relay into the circuit and I'm in business.

Jan 30, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #43,421 of 149,304

I'm in the same boat in Florida, and I would say for anything other than a brand new Modi Multibit, 30-60 minutes is all the warm-up it needs. And it doesn't sound bad at all while it's warming up.

Jan 30, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #43,422 of 149,304
I just turn my Mimby on and listen. I don't have a lot of spare time to let it warm up. I figure one minute for the DAC to initialize and for the tubes to warm up and relay into the circuit and I'm in business. I only :yum: have 13KW of solar so I don't like to leave things on constantly. I figure solar offsets the Tubes and Class A amps and this time of year a little extra heat in the house is ok.

Don't know how this happened. I was attempting to update my post.

Jan 30, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #43,423 of 149,304

Being that modi is sealed it heats up pretty quick. I generally just turn it on when I'm ready to listen. If you want a number I'd say it depends on your room temp. At 70 degrees i'd say (subjectively) it reaches it's internal operating temp in under a half hour.

Jan 30, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #43,424 of 149,304
Okay, time for a (small) announcement: Schiitrmeets!

No, not Schiitmeets--that's when we send around a bunch of our gear for someone to organize a local meet. No, a SchiitRmeet has two things that a Schiitmeet does not: (1) an "r", which means it's held at The Schiitr, our retail store in Newhall, CA, and (2) me, and maybe some other Schiit folks.

Why are we doing this? So that we can do a really old-style, low-key, bring-anything, try-anything meet, so people can experience a whole lot of different gear (not necessarily ours). Also so I can be there to answer questions, and hear what you have to say. I may be joined from time to time by other Schiit people like Tony, Mike, and Eddie, but you'll at least have me there.

Some caveats: if you're planning on bringing 500lbs of Krell amplification and 12 different preamps, please note that the Schiitr is (a) small, and (b) the electrical system may go up in smoke if faced with a 5000VA transformer. Small stuff is best. No guarantees that everyone gets a space. You'll have to set up around our, ah, Schiit. We'll provide power strips, the rest is your bag. Also note this is an after-hours meet, so if you want to buy something, there's no guarantee I know how to run the register. Seriously. If you want to buy something, probably best to come beforehand. We'll probably add other caveats as we learn how this best works.

Okay, now that you're all totally confused, here's the gist:

What: an old-style bring-your-own gear meet (yes, that includes non-Schiit gear)
Where: at The Schiitr in downtown Newhall, CA
When: the 2nd Friday of every month, from 6PM to 10PM

Or, to be more specific:

Friday, February 8, 6PM-10PM
Friday, March 8, 6PM-10PM
Friday, April 5, 6PM-10PM
Friday, May 10, 6PM-10PM
Friday, June 14, 6PM-10PM
Friday, July 12, 6PM-10PM

I hope to see you there!

Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back