1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. RCBinTN
    But then you lose the special feeling of "when the rubber meets the road." :)

2. RCBinTN
    How about a DAP and IEMs? I have 250GB of 16/44.1 Redbook music on my Astell & Kern AK240.
    The SQ is great ... just an idea.

Happy Friday All,
    RCB

thebmc likes this.
  3. JamminVMI
    ALAC's open source...

Apple first introduced its own lossless audio compression format, Apple Lossless Audio Codec (ALAC), in 2004 with iTunes 4.5. This Thursday—seven years later—the company made the code for its encoder and decoder available under an Apache 2.0 open source license.
    from Ars Technica, 10/28/2011

4. alpovs
    ScubaMan2017 likes this.
  5. wabe
    I think the implication was that he didn't want Apple to pull an Amazon and remove something from his library (ironic that it was a copy of 1984 when this occurred). I don't know that you can retroactively add DRM to a copy of a song you have. You would have to delete the existing song and send a new version with the DRM; I'm not sure if iTunes supports this.

ScubaMan2017 likes this.
  6. alpovs
    Convert your ALAC files to FLAC. Lossless to lossless conversion will be bitperfect. And convert your AAC files to a different container without renecoding or even the same container - the DRM, if any, will be gone. And take your foil hat off :)

7. alpovs
    I am not an Apple person but I read that Apple upgrades HD movies to 4K in people's libraries. I guess when it's in the cloud anything can be done and then Apple devices will synchronize locally.

8. rkw
    A note for those of you who were lucky enough (like me) to get one of @CAPT Deadpool's Qobuz preview codes last year. It turns out that those codes created accounts registered in the UK. Qobuz is launching in the US and you can now sign up to be a US beta subscriber (enter your e-mail and you'll get an invitation in 1-2 weeks). However, if you had signed up for last year's preview and want to use the same e-mail as before (thereby keeping your favorites and playlists), you need to contact Qobuz and ask them to convert your account from GB to US (https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/help/contact). I contacted them and they handled it within a day. I am now running Qobuz with a US registered account.

9. Ripper2860
    Qobuz Beta trick. If you had a Qobuz UK preview and received an invite to the US using the same e-mail address address, you can do the following when you get an account already exists error...

1. Go to Qobuz and login to your Qobuz account using that e-mail address (sign-in do not register)
    2. Once signed in, goto your Profile section
    3. Change the associated e-mail address to any other e-mail address (doesn't even have to be a real e-mail address -- just a different e-mail looking address)
    4. Wait about 10 minutes for the new e-mail address to replicate
    5. Got to the US invite URL (in the invite e-mail you received), create your account using the original e-mail address and you're off to the races!!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  10. rkw
    That's clever! However, if you had favorites and playlists in the old (now renamed) account they would stay there and not get transferred.

One more thing, which I mentioned in the Qobuz thread. I noticed that some albums I favorited during the Qobuz UK preview do not currently exist in Qobuz USA, and it is related to the music label of the album. My guess is that Qobuz must negotiate new agreements with each music label for streaming rights in the US, and some are not completed yet.

the finisher likes this.
  11. Ripper2860
    Good point about the favs. I had very few because I was not sure if I would be going with QB. Those that have really built-out playlists and favs, should definitely call. I do hope that there US library is beefed up a bit and closer to Tidal's -- at least in the Jazz genre.

BTW -- Thanks to @the finisher and @Rensek for the tip. :wink:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  12. the finisher
    I am now a US Qobuz beta tester after a nice go with the UK preview some of us were fortunate to get from @CAPT Deadpool
    I do finally think I can be very happy with streaming SQ now.

Somehow MQA just isn't working for some reason, real high-rez rocks!

It's very good:L3000:

13. HumanFly
    I would like to remind you all of the joyfull occasion of her majesties birthbay.
    Constanza turned 19 today. A respectable age for a respectable lady.
    (Congratulations will be passed on by her man-servant.)

Hip hip....hoooooray!
    Hip hip....hoooooray!
    Hip hip....hoooooray!

14. GearMe
    Man-servant...ha!

Made me think of Cato and Inspector Clouseau; wonder if Constanza attacks PCT to 'keep him sharp'...or 'in line'? :wink:

Happy Bday Constanza!

[​IMG] upload_2019-2-2_5-38-22.jpeg

(Link's on Holiday!)...jk

15. ScubaMan2017
    I try not to get my knickers in a knot about it. Ownership/leasing particulars are tucked inside the Terms of Use fine-print.
    With the unpredictable climate, I'd like to cruse around Lake Huron, Superior, and Michigan in a GI-Joe-esk flyingcar-submarine thingie (Eirie's too shallow [and I suspect Bruce Power would drop depth charges on me... and I'd experience a Das Boot scenario]).
    I made a half-hearted attempt to add ALAC to my Exact Audio Copy (EAC) without success. Foobar 2000 has it installed. EAC can process chewed-up AV material... It's shameful how my fellow Canadians treat library discs. :triportsad:
    2018-damaged-library-disc.jpg ...Tsk.

33na3rd and the finisher like this.