1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. jimmers
    Why don't you rip to FLAC in EAC?
    And if you have to have ALAC why not transcode FLAC to ALAC as needed,
    https://www.any-audio-converter.com/flac-to-apple-lossless-converter.php
    apparently does that - I haven't tried it, I'm iTunes averse :worried:

the finisher and ScubaMan2017 like this.
  2. Ableza
    I use iTunes for burning CDs and most of my library is in ALAC, mainly because I use my iPhone as a DAP when I travel, and it makes things much easier. I also have tons of material in FLAC. Roon doesn't care which you use - and by the way I have the same CD in both ALAC and in FLAC in a few cases, and I detect no perceivable sound quality difference between then on my systems. Use whichever you wish.

RCBinTN, JamminVMI and ScubaMan2017 like this.
  3. ScubaMan2017
    Personal preference. I'm trying to hold onto my iDingles and iDongles until they finally break (tough little bastards). I respect your "iToon-aversion".

I have a dog's breakfast of file formats. My SCUBA-ravaged ears can't discern between ALAC & FLAC. My iDingleBerries (yes, I know what THOSE are... yick) are my Portable Audio Players (DAP). Schiit's motto makes sense to me as I age: it's "for the music [I have], not for the music [I have] to buy".

Mind you, I've been watching retired electricians rip out tube-fed console amps, clean 'em up, and turn them into 2-channel wonders. For the sake of my marriage, I'm restricted (ha!) to headphone amplifiers.... aaaaaaaand now my lustful eyeballs are wandering over to a Valhalla (and feeding it with a ModiMB-EITR).

TomSix and Ableza like this.
  4. JamminVMI
    Don’t get to feeling like you’re all alone up there! Folks down below you aren’t any better about that...

On anothe note, got a cracked disc from SecondSpin.com the other day. Sent an e-mail, got a reply within 20 minutes with a new order number for a replacement. I hate to have to test anybody’s customer service, but SecondSpin definitely passed with flying colours!

5. TomSix

On refurbishing old console amplifiers for hifi use:

That's all good fun! However...

*IMO,
    ONE MAJOR SAFETY CAVEAT: Before doing *ANYTHING* else, I always immediately cut off the dangerous two-prong (ungrounded) power cord, and install a quality three-prong (grounded) AC power cord (observing proper polarity) with the ground lead connected securely to the amplifier chassis, *AND* then I install a properly rated fuse in the AC 'hot' lead.

Without these basic modifications, one is only a power transformer short-circuit or similar malfunction away from electrocuting oneself --and yes, that would be a very bad thing

*Note: I offer all of the above commentary as food for thought only, as an illustration of what I personally do, and not as advice nor as an adequate guide to proper electrical work for non-professionals. I assume no responsibility for anyone's improper and/or unqualified/non-professional electrical work

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  6. alpovs
    Nobody can because they are basically the same formats. "However, Apple Lossless is not a variant of AAC (which is a lossy format), but rather a distinct lossless format that uses linear prediction similar to other lossless codecs. These other lossless codecs, such as FLAC and Shorten, are not natively supported by Apple's iTunes software (either the Mac OS or Windows versions) or by older iOS devices, but there are free converter tools available to change the format from FLAC to ALAC or vice versa."
    Rip to FLAC and then convert to ALAC. You won't lose a single bit of information this way.
    I don't use this program for ripping (only converting) but the description says you can rip directly to ALAC or any other format: https://xrecode.com/

gljus and ScubaMan2017 like this.
  7. wabe
    Is this something you would do for any vintage amp, like the '70s Marantz amps, or is it specific to these types of amps/conversions?

8. ScubaMan2017
    The YouTube author illustrated how many volts was stored in these 50+ year old caps (capacitors) after powering it up during repairs. I think he actually measured 200V?! Now, I know I teach my teenage-junior-electricians, that it's the current that kills; however, I value my Central Nervous System! 20th-century grounding... fuses... Gotcha. I stick with LOW voltage & wattage systems (and remind my students that DC can be just as dangerous as AC [I remember the 200-400V DC motors installed in our German-made dough mixers at my old workplace... apparently DC motors are more robust or controllable than AC motors? Hmmm]).

Your (gentle) warning, @TomSix , is a big 10-4. Bzzzzzzzt. :ksc75smile:

yonson likes this.
  9. artur9
    I use FLAC because when I started ripping ALAC support for custom metadata was nonexistent (things like Composition for classical music, Period, Ensemble, Performer, etc). I don't believe that particular situation has gotten better.

I'm too invested in to switch now despite ALAC making my life easier.

10. TomSix
    Absolutely positively --Yes. Personally, I always carefully retrofit grounded and fused mains connections into classic gear, and won't operate it until these changes are made.

I have no nostalgia whatever for obsolete/dangerous AC mains/primary circuits. I can't rationally justify risking my life (or anyone else's) in the name of 'authenticity'.

ScubaMan2017 and Rensek like this.
  11. TomSix
    On potential power supply capacitor discharge hazards: Another thing I always do with tube gear is install extra, redundant bleeder-resistors strategically in the power supply rails to make sure all of the HV capacitors will discharge in a fairly short period of time after a unit is turned-off. I generally use conservatively-rated high-quality metal-oxide resistors. The only penalty of having some extra bleeder-resistor stacks (usually two resistors in series per-stack) is a couple bucks, a little bit more heat in the chassis, and a few additional milliamps of extra current draw from the power supply. A small price for safety.

Additionally, I *always* double check all power supply capacitors with a multimeter to make absolutely sure the power supply capacitors are in fact fully discharged before beginning work on the circuit.

Many many pieces of vintage tube gear, of all quality levels, simply do not have adequate, redundant bleeding of the power supply capacitors. Old TV sets were particularly notorious in this regard.

One electrical shock, is one too many.

12. FrivolsListener
    Aw, hell. That's messy.

Well, the FTC's position would be rational in 1960, when there was much less of a global economy, but not today. Unfortunately, unless there's a big enough stink, these things don't get revisited.

ScubaMan2017, the finisher and TomSix like this.
  13. Rensek
    I recall Jason saying at one point that a high percentage (70% maybe?) of the web traffic on Schiit.com was from folks 35 and younger. I would imagine a larger percentage of folks in this age bracket stream the vast majority of their music, like I do.

Is there mixed messaging here or does schiit simply implement multiple advertising/marketing strategies and hope one of them sticks?

Does the younger crowd comprise the majority of Schiit sales or do most purchases come from the older crowd?

the finisher likes this.
  14. JohnnyCanuck
    Anyone know where the "translate" button is?

JC

the finisher and Mike-WI like this.
  15. the finisher
    Ok I'm on my PC and can see it now.

I translated it myself.

SPAMMER

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019