Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 20, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #30,437 of 151,897
How about sticking with the current Asgard 2, but doing an Asgard 2 (or Vali 2) + Modi Multibit bundle (save 10%)?

Dont know if that woukd make sense cost wise, but it would help get folks into a great amp+multibit DAC, but at a slightly better pricepoint (and without all the redesign headaches on your end!)
A package deal? Interesting. Bundles. Do you think that might get negative feedback from the fringe customers that accuse Schiit of “making deals”.

Mar 20, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #30,438 of 151,897
Having a class A headphone amplifier at the price point of the Asgard, being that it's the first product Schitt produced, why erase your history without a compelling reason?

I would get the Asgard but every time I want to pull the trigger I remember that for now, I live in Florida. So no class A for me. So I save my pennies for a bit.

Mar 20, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #30,439 of 151,897
Mar 20, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #30,440 of 151,897
Asgard pairs best with Bifrost, though. As far as chassis. Bundling might be a good idea, but Jason's not a huge fan of promos and discounts...
From a looks perspective yes, but from a entry-level amp+multibit pricepoint perspective (if this is a strategy), no.

This would not be a promo, it's simply a bundle - buy both at the same time and it's a bit cheaper. But it still may not fall within Jason's pricing philosophy (nor make sense from a margin perspective).

Mar 20, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #30,441 of 151,897
At the risk of product creep would it make sense to leave Asgard 2 alone, but release a completely new model that includes the A/AB you mentioned today and the ability to insert modules? Call it Vanaheim or Vanir or something.

Mar 20, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #30,442 of 151,897
I went the Modi Mult

I chose the ModiMultibit option. I’m surprised by the negative feedback I received over at another forum. If you’re willing to take a leap of faith, this could be an option for you...
Hang on can’t you install a Multibit expansion card into your Bifrost, and reinstall your Loki between your Bifrost & AMP?
Are you able to slip in another card?

You are correct, I could upgrade my bifrost for the same cost, but having not heard the MB sound on a Bifrost I am hesitant to upgrade (I really like the 4490 sound). Maybe my best option would be to pick up a modi-MB. In any case, I look forward to the reviews...if they are positive enough I might be willing to part with the Bifrost and Loki and go with the simpler setup.

Mar 20, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #30,443 of 151,897
At the risk of product creep would it make sense to leave Asgard 2 alone, but release a completely new model that includes the A/AB you mentioned today and the ability to insert modules? Call it Vanaheim or Vanir or something.

Not sure how it would be much different to Jotunheim?

Mar 20, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #30,444 of 151,897
@Jason Stoddard - This was going to come up eventually, so I might as well ask it now. Tube rolling the Lyr 3. Which 6sn7 variants are good, or more to the point, which to avoid?

I have some nice 6BL7 and 6BX7's, but wouldn't want to stick them in there unless I saw something on the site or from you saying which ones won't explodify the Lyr 3.

Thanks!
Not sure how it would be much different to Jotunheim?
Topology / architecture and price.

Mar 20, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #30,446 of 151,897
Topology / architecture and price.

Different topology doesn't necessarily warrant a completely new product.. Price can't be that different unless there's a huge variation in production cost, which is unlikely.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #30,447 of 151,897
Different topology doesn't necessarily warrant a completely new product.. Price can't be that different unless there's a huge variation in production cost, which is unlikely.
I think you need to go re-read Jason's post. Near the end you'll see the Asgard 3 bit.

Mar 20, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #30,448 of 151,897
I think you need to go re-read Jason's post. Near the end you'll see the Asgard 3 bit.

OK, now I get it.

So it's going to be a cheaper, simplified (single-ended) Jotunheim with an updated topology, basically.

Not opposed to this. Still not sure I would replace Asgard 2 with it.

Mar 20, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #30,450 of 151,897
For those (including me) who own a Jot with the balanced DAC, it would be great to have an option to upgrade to the multibit DAC at a discount by exchanging the existing module.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back