Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 15, 2024 at 6:31 PM Post #151,891 of 153,436
Hana and VPI both get excellent reviews.
I am sure that the combo sounds great. :relaxed:

I have now settled on an Audio Technica AT- ART 20 MC cartridge on my Technics SL 1200G turntable, having tried lots of carts, mainly MM....

The AT cartridge was recommended to me by a Recording/Audio Engineer, who is a huge vinyl fan.

It was an extravagant purchase, but I love it!

I am waffling between finding a replacement stylus for the Shure N75ED-2 currently mounted on the Dual 1019, or trying to track down an affordable functioning Shure V15-III. Very different dollar values from Koetsus etc.

I think I may have solved the "running too fast" problem by flipping the strobe disc over from the 60Hz side to the 50Hz side... 😜😜😂😂

May 15, 2024 at 6:46 PM Post #151,895 of 153,436
One last motorcycle picture from me. This is me with my Tom Selleck mustache (I was in the Navy at this time and it was cool) with my 4-year-old daughter April, on the only brand-new bike I ever bought. 1980 KZ1000 with a then-styling Windjammer fairing. :) Riding in N. California, picture taken one-handed with a Kodak instamatic by my friend Roy who rode up alongside us.

1980 N California.jpg

Are those matching helmets !?!?!?

May 15, 2024 at 8:14 PM Post #151,898 of 153,436
Almost done with the bathroom/shower reno. Third time around! LOL!
I built this house with my son and a few friends in Raleigh, NC.
No small feat in 1998 timeframe.

Never gad an issue with safety or power tools!
Well.
I bought a new Skil brand table saw.
Works sweet.

Cutting a floor plank, I looked away for 2 sec..and!!

Wait for it... Ouch!!
5 hrs in Emerg, 2 hours orths surgeon.

Well at least I didnt cut it off, but its meatloaf time and small fracture!!
And yes I did not have any safety guards on the table saw..
Idiot, yes I remind myself each minute!
:>)
Alex

Heal time 3 months for some normalcy.
A year for total healing.
And yes it hurts each time i accidently hit it or catch it putting on clothes!!
#^(&&#@!@#

1715800763712.png
Oh that's horrifying. There are probably more than a few alternate universes where there is no Schiit Audio because I tripped and went head-first into our Frankensaw in the speaker days (think 5HP motor, 8' table, no guards, blade usually all the way up). I'm a giant baby now, and use a Dewalt contractor saw with all the guards on. As soon as the Boerne house is done, I'll get a SawStop and call it a day. Please be careful!
If u ever get down here in NC let me know and we will venture to some good b-bcue establishments!!
Maybe we can get Jason back to Raleigh as well!! @Jason Stoddard
Alex
I'd be happy to come back, time permitting.
😳

In a skillet??? You're also getting the order of your toppings confused; they're on top. It's right there in the name: toppings. Because that's where they belong at all times: on top! You must be from Chicago, only they are disrespectful enough regarding all things pizza to do what you are describing. 🤣

Three to five minutes at 450ºF in a toaster oven or normal oven, that's the only legal way to reheat a pizza. That is if you even need to reheat your pizza at all, as cold leftover pizza is one of life's great pleasures.

Contrary to what some philosophers have you believe, there are objective moral truths. Reheating a pizza in a skillet, especially if "topping side down" is a step in that process, is as morally objectionable as it gets. Microwaving your slice is bad enough as it is, but one wouldn't expect anything else from Cowen, so I'll turn a blind eye. But frying your pizza? Topping side down? There are no laws against such a thing (yet) simply because nobody has dared to even attempt such an atrocity and lived to tell the tale.

The Breville Pizzaiolo, for its silly price, has a fairly magical reheat-from-frozen setting that lets us do a batch of "wood fired," put them in the freezer, and then make them up individually later. Yes, we are lazy. Not sure how it does from cold, not frozen.

The XMC-1 was great, don't get me wrong on that! I just wanted a different direction, and squeezing down the space taken up with everything was a driver.
I have balanced out to the main amps through the Lokius.

I will be in the queue if ever an Ultimate Syn is released. Freya sized ideally, and designed work in SYNc :relaxed:

It replaced a big pre-pro for me too.

If there is ever an ultimate Syn, how about one that's more like an add-on to Freya or Kara? So, surround, add preamp to taste....

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 15, 2024 at 8:15 PM Post #151,899 of 153,436
These just so happen to be my favorite croutons.

Or, is there some other meaning to what they are called?
Please opine

Attachments

• IMG_0070.JPG
    IMG_0070.JPG
    179.6 KB · Views: 0
May 15, 2024 at 8:21 PM Post #151,900 of 153,436
Oh that's horrifying. There are probably more than a few alternate universes where there is no Schiit Audio because I tripped and went head-first into our Frankensaw in the speaker days (think 5HP motor, 8' table, no guards, blade usually all the way up). I'm a giant baby now, and use a Dewalt contractor saw with all the guards on. As soon as the Boerne house is done, I'll get a SawStop and call it a day. Please be careful!

I'd be happy to come back, time permitting.

The Breville Pizzaiolo, for its silly price, has a fairly magical reheat-from-frozen setting that lets us do a batch of "wood fired," put them in the freezer, and then make them up individually later. Yes, we are lazy. Not sure how it does from cold, not frozen.

It replaced a big pre-pro for me too.

If there is ever an ultimate Syn, how about one that's more like an add-on to Freya or Kara? So, surround, add preamp to taste....
With a name like Ultimate Syn it probably should be tubed....

May 15, 2024 at 8:22 PM Post #151,901 of 153,436
Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 8:23 PM Post #151,902 of 153,436
With a name like Ultimate Syn it probably should be tubed....
With a name like Ultimate Syn, it should probably come with a priest. 🤣

May 15, 2024 at 8:35 PM Post #151,903 of 153,436
Interesting story:

I was sent a Schiit Vali 3 for review and testing. When I take photos I usually take the units cover off
to take internal shots...ans just because I like to see the internals...that old electrical engineering part of me.

Well usually its a few screws and pull off the volume knob ans your in...well maybe a few more screws on the rear plate for the rcas etc..
Well the Vali 3's volume knob did not want to come off...it took a lot of pressure and I was worried I would destroy the pot.
Think someone super glued this one on!!
Well...I kept at it ans bam! It final came off but I tore the vol pot apart!!
Nice now we have a dead unit...great.
Well...upon closer inspection I notice the small Alps pots have 4 small tabs that are folded that keep the rotating structure inside the unit.
Well I cleaned the internals and the pot surface and wiper...carefully put it back inside and rebent the 4 tabs...tested it ans voila as good as new!

Amazing...now for those smaller pots that I find at times to be scratchy and we try to spray in contact cleaner or deoxit..well I will unfold those 4 tabs, remove and really clean well!!

Ha! Good ending to a potential bad situation!
I have replaced these small pots before, on my Piety for sure...I actually destroy the pot enclosure so only the pins are still soldered in the pcb. Then I use a good solder removal tool and remove each of the pins individually....clean out the holes and install a new pot. Well now I will try the remove and clean and lubricate in the future...

Alex

1715819148880.png

May 15, 2024 at 8:55 PM Post #151,904 of 153,436
Tonight's Jazz recommendation is an absolute favorite of mine. Dave Holland on stand-up bass and Pepe Habichuela on guitar merge to form a bit of Spanish flamenco-like jazz that is an unexpected pleasure. I think (hope) you fine folks will enjoy it!

JazzReco-18.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back