Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 20, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #30,407 of 151,476
I personally don't see anything that would compel me to upgrade from Asgard 2. Hence I don't really think it needs a replacement in a Schiit's lineup. It's cheap, pure, simple class A. In a niche of its own.

Do any change to it and it would stop being what it is (cheap, pure, simple class A).

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #30,408 of 151,476
Thanks for input on the Asgard 2--please keep it coming. Nothing is set in stone. It's entirely possible Asgard 2 continues, along with Valhalla, as a kind of "classic" product line. But I'm exploring options...

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 20, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #30,409 of 151,476
So... with the 4490 being balanced, and the multi-bit having a custom filter, but being single ended... I guess I'm confused at the qualitative difference in the two, other than what has been stated on the website, which isn't much. With the multi-bit being $100 more respectively, you'd assume it was better — but better in what way? Are there pros and cons to each?

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #30,410 of 151,476
And the very worst of financing is that it is inherently inflationary and causes untimely demand. How many folks buy cars thinking oh, it is only $xxx.xx per month. Fits right into your budget, and allows the dealer to ramp down discounts and add unwanted accessories. Trouble is, the $xxx.xx per month is now getting up to 84 months. You really want to keep your car 7 years? Warps the market for buyers and sellers. Credit card companies can allow the user years and years to give them $10,000 or more for an Yggy at up to 30% interest. Really? The only advantage is that it makes the buyer subject to living beyond his means.

Spot on Mike.. really spot on. All my life (at least 99.9% of the time), it has been if I can not buy it cash, I do not buy it. And I hope I never have to do it any differently.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #30,411 of 151,476
So... with the 4490 being balanced, and the multi-bit having a custom filter, but being single ended... I guess I'm confused at the qualitative difference in the two, other than what has been stated on the website, which isn't much. With the multi-bit being $100 more respectively, you'd assume it was better — but better in what way? Are there pros and cons to each?

I would definitely rather pay extra $100 for a Multibit (even single-ended), than having a balanced DAC. But that's just me... As far as qualitative difference - I think Schiit generally lets the buyers decide on their own what is more important to them without giving subjective guidelines. Having said that, both Mike and Jason had hinted many times as far as their own preference...

Mar 20, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #30,412 of 151,476
Hi Jason,

A lot of us are budget hobbyists here, I almost got a Joteunheim, but I can't afford to re-balance my 7 budget headphones, and while some of you are like stop being so silly... you should have just bought one really nice headphone... yes probably true, but this hobby is just about different experiences to me.

I personally would love an Asgard 3. :) Magni 3 I am currently loving btw, but it seems to narrow the soundstage and is a little bright... Would love the Lyr 3, but yikes the $399 was pushing my budget already, so will have to pass sadly.

Mar 20, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #30,413 of 151,476
Thanks for input on the Asgard 2--please keep it coming. Nothing is set in stone. It's entirely possible Asgard 2 continues, along with Valhalla, as a kind of "classic" product line. But I'm exploring options...

Keep the Asgard and Valhalla as is. They form the basis of your KISS line.

Mar 20, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #30,414 of 151,476
Welcome. =)

Hey Jason - Can you confirm please: The Multibit DAC card for Lyr 3 / Jot is single ended or balanced?

Thanks man! Lyr 3 ordered!

Mar 20, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #30,416 of 151,476
An Asgard 3 would only make sense if it can maintain the same (or similar) tonality of the Asgard 2.

Some find the Jotunheim too bright sounding (especially when used with bright-ish headphones), and the Asgard 2 is a great option for someone who's looking for a SS amp with a slightly less bright sounding tonality.

As long as you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater with the Asgard 3, then by all means:

Make-It-So.png

Mar 20, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #30,417 of 151,476
Mar 20, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #30,418 of 151,476
(burp)

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #30,419 of 151,476
It's balanced, but operates in single-ended mode in Lyr 3, as it's a single-ended amp. Fully balanced in Jotunheim...
That's what I thought, but someone above was saying it was not balanced. Further I checked the Schiit site, and it didn't specifically mention if the card was balanced or SE (which it probably should, as most consider that to be a selling point, which is why I'm flagging Jason again in a post) and so I was confused and wanted confirmation from the big cheese himself. =)

(@Jason Stoddard )

Mar 20, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #30,420 of 151,476
(burp)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back