Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 20, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #30,421 of 150,867
Oh, and one more thing: Could you please offer a cheap RCA-input-only card for those of us who would simply like an extra input on our Jot (and now Lyr 3)? :nerd:

Thanks, Jason!

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #30,422 of 150,867
Thanks Nedifer

If I am understanding you right, you have one output going directly to one amp, and the other output going to a Sys and then into another amp?

Bit of an audio noob here (as far as multiple system components go), could I just hook up the Vidar to one output of the Saga, and then hook up my headphone amp (Magni or Jot) to the other and just keep the device I'm not using turned off when using the other? Would it be that easy?

Also I am contemplating what road to take as far as system purchases go. What would be better - Saga, Vidar, Mimby, Jot or just get a Rag and a DAC to be purchased later?

Hi Rensek, so sorry to not reply in a timely manner - I mostly browse without logging in and, due to having to deal with some family issues, have been preoccupied with other things.

You are correct in how I have things hooked up. Putting the Sys inline between the Saga and our kitchen amp allows us to attenuate the signal going to the kitchen speakers (more efficient than the living room speakers and a smaller room) so that you don't get blasted in the kitchen when playing at a normal amplitude in the living room.

As for what to purchase, that's a very personal kind of decision (based both on listening preferences and budget). While I can't speak to what would work for you, perhaps describing my approach to our home system might help.

All in all, I've put less than $3000 into our home system over the last 20 years through a mixture of gifts (or loans) of free hardware, purchasing used and a smattering of new purchases. (Out of that I will say that the purchase of the Saga is one of my more satisfying purchases.) This has led to a bit of a hodge-podge of assorted equipment that overflows a cabinet that really wasn't designed for such (much to my wife's dismay), but that is quite pleasing in the end. This whole process has been driven by cost as, with two young boys and expensive life in the Bay Area, we really just don't have the expendable income to throw at this hobby. And I will say that, though the system we use has ended up with a lot of components, the nice thing about that (sprawl aside) is that I can then choose future upgrades more judiciously and pointedly to address where I perceive I can best improve on the sound.

And, if I had it all to do again, I would probably follow roughly the same path (though the fact that serendipity through opportunity led a good part of this would mean that the outcome would likely yield different results if I started anew).

If starting anew and with some cash to spend (but not enough to necessarily buy everything new), I would probably focus the bulk of my initial outlay on speakers and DAC/Pre-amp parts of the chain (assuming you decide to go with a preamp/amp combo). Used amplifiers are cheap, abundant and generally last for years. So that part of the chain could initially be bought on the cheap and you can save a bundle by buying Blue Jeans cables for most of your interconnects. [The advantage to me of going the preamp/amp combo is that if you ever want to extend your listening into another room, as we did into our kitchen, it is easier than with most quality integrated amps which only support one pair of speakers.] And by breaking out the functions that way, it makes it easier to tackle individual upgrades of components (rather than replacing a single (expensive) integrated component that does most/everything).

So, in short, look at what you want from the standpoint of a system and break it into its component parts. What of that would you want to buy new? What could you buy used to start to keep costs down? What combination of equipment would make it easiest to improve the sound in an incremental way (as funds allow) via judicious purchases that don't break the bank or antagonize your partner/best friend (if you have one)?

To me, this also has the advantage (though some might view this as a curse) that I can continue to think about our current system and how it can be improved (i.e., it turns it into a hobby).

Do I have a be all to end all system that would wow any self-avowed audiophile who walked into our house? No. Not by a long shot. But when I can listen to Yo-Yo Ma playing Bach's cello suites and get completely carried away listening to the timbre of his bow on the strings, I know I've accomplished something, even though I don't have the financial means to take it to the next level.

Another example of this approach is upon me, as my wife got me a Sennheiser HD6XX for Christmas (which arrives today). I don't currently have a headphone amp that can drive it to its full potential, though. So what I am likely to do is to get a $99 Schiit Magni 3 to start (as that won't break the bank). I can plug that into the Saga (by either removing the kitchen system temporarily or using an RCA splitter) which will alloy me to take full advantage of the upstream chain to get good sound and access to our full music library (Raspberry Pi music server->Cubox Squeezelite streamer->Sinxer SU-1 DDC->Berkeley Audio Design Alpha (Gen 1) DAC->Saga preamp-> Magni3->HD6XX). Or I can use it with a Schiit Modi 2 Uber DAC I have lying around (was replaced by the BAD DAC) for a semi-portable chain (Computer->Modi 2 Uber->Magni 3->HD6XX). And, again, as funds permit each part of those two chains can be upgraded as funds permit.

Does that make sense?

Mar 20, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #30,423 of 150,867
Hi Jason,

A lot of us are budget hobbyists here, I almost got a Joteunheim, but I can't afford to re-balance my 7 budget headphones, and while some of you are like stop being so silly... you should have just bought one really nice headphone... yes probably true, but this hobby is just about different experiences to me.

I personally would love an Asgard 3. :) Magni 3 I am currently loving btw, but it seems to narrow the soundstage and is a little bright... Would love the Lyr 3, but yikes the $399 was pushing my budget already, so will have to pass sadly.

I think the beauty of jot is that it plays single ended and balanced from anything you put into it. Balanced in plays SE out, SE in plays balanced out, MB dac would play both SE and Balanced out.

Mar 20, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #30,424 of 150,867
Now what I am really excited for is the inevitable Mjolnir 3 with this updated topology and new tubes. @Jason Stoddard Soon™?

Mar 20, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #30,425 of 150,867
Nope, the Multibit DAC module has balanced output. Getting balanced output is easy, thanks to a fancy differential op-amp. This is the same approach as many "balanced" DACs out there.

It's just not "hardware balanced." You see, when we say "hardware balanced," that means "one DAC channel per phase." On many balanced DACs, this is not the case. Gungnir and Yggdrasil are hardware balanced. As is the AK4490 card.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 20, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #30,426 of 150,867
Nope, the Multibit DAC module has balanced output. Getting balanced output is easy, thanks to a fancy differential op-amp. It's just not "hardware balanced."

OK, that was my original thought and then I've confused myself. Thanks for clearing that out for us!

Mar 20, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #30,427 of 150,867
@Jason Stoddard re Asgard 2

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- class A with no global feedback and priced at $249. What's not to like? Leave it alone - if it ain't broke don't fix it.

My 2¢ worth.

JC

Mar 20, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #30,428 of 150,867
Now what I am really excited for is the inevitable Mjolnir 3 with this updated topology and new tubes. @Jason Stoddard Soon™?
other than a lesser power consumption there's nothing much to improve on the Mjolnir 2. Sound-wise I mean.

Mar 20, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #30,429 of 150,867
Jason, congrats on the new stuff!! The Lyr 3 looks very nice IMO.

Would you please tell me the differences in the multibit design in a Bifrost vs the MB implemented in the Lyr 3/ Jotunheim?

I have a Vahalla2, with a Bimby...great combination for me...

Thanks
Alex

Mar 20, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #30,430 of 150,867
How about sticking with the current Asgard 2, but doing an Asgard 2 (or Vali 2) + Modi Multibit bundle (save 10%)?

Dont know if that woukd make sense cost wise, but it would help get folks into a great amp+multibit DAC, but at a slightly better pricepoint (and without all the redesign headaches on your end!)

Mar 20, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #30,431 of 150,867
other than a lesser power consumption there's nothing much to improve on the Mjolnir 2. Sound-wise I mean.

The main thing I can think of is the better tubes. I am sure that sound improvements can be made as well like if it uses partly pivot point the single ended should sound better. No idea really but you know... New stuff?!?!? :p

Mar 20, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #30,432 of 150,867
How about sticking with the current Asgard 2, but doing an Asgard 2 (or Vali 2) + Modi Multibit bundle (save 10%)?

Asgard pairs best with Bifrost, though. As far as chassis. Bundling might be a good idea, but Jason's not a huge fan of promos and discounts...

Mar 20, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #30,434 of 150,867
I went the Modi Mult
I really want to try out multibit, but I do not want to lose the functionality of my Loki mini, or my Bifrost for that matter.
Decisions...
I chose the ModiMultibit option. I’m surprised by the negative feedback I received over at another forum. If you’re willing to take a leap of faith, this could be an option for you...
Hang on can’t you install a Multibit expansion card into your Bifrost, and reinstall your Loki between your Bifrost & AMP?
Are you able to slip in another card?

Mar 20, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #30,435 of 150,867

Users who are viewing this thread

Back