Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 20, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #30,451 of 151,911
OK, now I get it.

So it's going to be a cheaper, simplified (single-ended) Jotunheim with an updated topology, basically.

Not opposed to this. Still not sure I would replace Asgard 2 with it.

Hence why I was saying keep your dedicated class A. Make a new product.

This would appeal to me for my office. Almost pulled the trigger on Jot back in late Dec, went with Magni instead. I knew I wanted to try MB Dac. I will be ordering Mimby in the next few weeks.

When I get 2 ch gear purchased I will have some decisions to make. I may bring Mimby/M3 home to integrate with 2 ch. Then I can look at one of the DAC/amp combos for office use.

Mar 20, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #30,452 of 151,911
2018, Chapter 5:
So, I’m asking you: does a product like this proposed Asgard 3 make sense?

Or not?

Why?

Your answers will help shape the future.
I say yes.

Not just because the output of Asgard 2 now is less than what you have, but it would need to be not just something that improves the power output, but the quality of the thing.

It would not make sense if it did not make things cleaner, wider, more powerful, more impact, and overall better. Class A is great and V8 engines are great, but even F1 went to turbo V6's.

SS path: Magi 3 > Asgard 3 > Jotunheim > Ragnarok

Tube Hybrid path: Vali 2 > Lyr 3 > Mjolnir 2

If the performance Magni 2 improved so much, then let that flow into Asgard 2.

Only other option is to keep Asgard 2 and Valhalla 2 as legacy products and keep on with the new stuff and create something new to fill the gap between Magni 3 and Jot.

I also like your cards. However, I would really love to see S/PDIF. Not everyone needs AES/EBU except some pros and some uber high end guys, but one cannot even take advantage of Eitr. I use a Pi hat with transformer coupled coax out and I can't use these cards. I know you are limited on real estate, but how about an option?[/SIZE]

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #30,453 of 151,911
I think the beauty of jot is that it plays single ended and balanced from anything you put into it. Balanced in plays SE out, SE in plays balanced out, MB dac would play both SE and Balanced out.
I have to disagree. I want the massive extra wattage of Balanced that Jot input only has not single ended part. It really does enhance sound having the extra wattage even for lower ohm cans, my Magni 3 has made some of my cans slam like never before.

Mar 20, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #30,454 of 151,911
I have to disagree. I want the massive extra wattage of Balanced that Jot input only has not single ended part. It really does enhance sound having the extra wattage even for lower ohm cans, my Magni 3 has made some of my cans slam like never before.

I really enjoy my M3, It truly could be the only amp I need. It powers my HD6XX'S quite easily. I rarely crank the pot past 1-2 o clock on low gain. Easy listening is 9 on low gain.

I am very intrigued by Balanced. Someday I'll probably own something that does Balanced. Maybe a vacation to colorado around RMAF is in order.

Mar 20, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #30,457 of 151,911
I can't be the only one that wants to know how the multibit card stays warm and sounding good when Lyr 3 is powered off to save the tube?

Mar 20, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #30,458 of 151,911

....[edit]....

Only other option is to keep Asgard 2 and Valhalla 2 as legacy products and keep on with the new stuff and create something new to fill the gap between Magni 3 and Jot.

I also like your cards. However, I would really love to see S/PDIF. Not everyone needs AES/EBU except some pros and some uber high end guys, but one cannot even take advantage of Eitr. I use a Pi hat with transformer coupled coax out and I can't use these cards. I know you are limited on real estate, but how about an option?

Thanks to Jason, Mike and Schiit for taking the product line to a whole new level with innovative and patentable technologies. Whether you patent or not is another story since patents simply give you the right to sue infringers. The point is the real intellectual contribution to the field that is coming out of Schiit.

My preferences are:

1. Keep Asgard 2 as a legacy entry level product but keep innovating. I promise to buy one.

2. Do something to provide inputs like coax and optical. Like @rtaylor76, I use RP3-Hat and Odroid-2 Hat as endpoints and need S/PDIF coax and/or optical inputs on my DACs and DAC/AMPs.

3. I don't know how many ways you can say it but keep plugging on helping hobbyists understand that Schiit can design great sounding products that don't have balanced I/O. Balanced mythology has become wearisome. Maybe put balanced at the lowest level of existence in Norse mythology.

Congrats for a spectacular product announcement!

Mar 20, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #30,462 of 151,911
I can't be the only one that wants to know how the multibit card stays warm and sounding good when Lyr 3 is powered off to save the tube?

Warm up shouldn't be an issue because you aren't only relying on the dac to warm its self. All the heat from the amp should take care of that quickly.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #30,463 of 151,911
Nope, the Multibit DAC module has balanced output. Getting balanced output is easy, thanks to a fancy differential op-amp. This is the same approach as many "balanced" DACs out there.

It's just not "hardware balanced." You see, when we say "hardware balanced," that means "one DAC channel per phase." On many balanced DACs, this is not the case. Gungnir and Yggdrasil are hardware balanced. As is the AK4490 card.
I looked at the board and saw only one DAC chip. It's the same as connecting Mimby to Jot. Single-ended in, balanced out. Not "hardware balanced". However, many new, even portable balanced DACs have two 2-channel DAC chips. Anyway, I hope everyone realizes that a true hardware balanced multibit DAC would a size of two Mimbys or one Jot by itself.

Mar 20, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #30,464 of 151,911
@Jason Stoddard

At least in my mind, what makes asgard, has been defined by being class A. If you can make a better amp at that price point great, but it isn't an asgard.

To change what asgard is because at this moment in time you don't see a way forward imo is a mistake. Shelve anything you have for asgard3 and work on other things. They may lead you to an answer down the road.

Mar 20, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #30,465 of 151,911
How about sticking with the current Asgard 2, but doing an Asgard 2 (or Vali 2) + Modi Multibit bundle (save 10%)?

Dont know if that woukd make sense cost wise, but it would help get folks into a great amp+multibit DAC, but at a slightly better pricepoint (and without all the redesign headaches on your end!)
I almost never reply to posts like this, but the concept interested me...
Now that the Schiit product line has expanded so much, this concept may make sense.
Watch your pushes, dear Schiit lovers. Jason's marketing sense is stirring around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back