Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 29, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #28,741 of 149,336
Still lobbying for a Bifrost size non-assoholic speaker amp. Heck, monoblock would be fine, I'll take 2 stackable ones, 25w, 15w, 10w, pls?

+1 to this..... And I'll take two if needed as well. And then another Vidar so I can run them on the L+R of the main living room system/HT setup :)

Jan 29, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #28,743 of 149,336
What’s going on with orders for the Mjolnir 2? It has been show as “backordered” on the Schiit site since at least mid December, and the expected date keeps slipping (now show as week of Feb. 15).

Is there a parts problem? Which part? Or a design problem? What? Or maybe a feature upgrade in progress?

No other Schiit product seems to be plagued with the receding deadline, but mine in order has receded multiple times since ordering, and one person posted recently that they had ordered theirs last October and not yet received it.

At least Schiit has not charged the order to the credit card I gave them, and that’s to their credit. But maybe there is a bit of intrigue to add to the “Schiit Happened” story being recounted here on the “receding Mjolnir 2 amp.” Maybe their shipping department shipped the Schiit to Shinola in Detroit rather than shipping to John in Ann Arbor, and Shinola won’t send them back! Shinola is selling the Schiit headphone amps as a perfect match for their new Canfield headphones as their “Schiit from Shinola” package!

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #28,744 of 149,336
What’s going on with orders for the Mjolnir 2? It has been show as “backordered” on the Schiit site since at least mid December, and the expected date keeps slipping (now show as week of Feb. 15).

Is there a parts problem? Which part? Or a design problem? What? Or maybe a feature upgrade in progress?

No other Schiit product seems to be plagued with the receding deadline, but mine in order has receded multiple times since ordering, and one person posted recently that they had ordered theirs last October and not yet received it.

At least Schiit has not charged the order to the credit card I gave them, and that’s to their credit. But maybe there is a bit of intrigue to add to the “Schiit Happened” story being recounted here on the “receding Mjolnir 2 amp.” Maybe their shipping department shipped the Schiit to Shinola in Detroit rather than shipping to John in Ann Arbor, and Shinola won’t send them back! Shinola is selling the Schiit headphone amps as a perfect match for their new Canfield headphones as their “Schiit from Shinola” package!

Looking at a handful of items, it looks like they are going through some supply-chain hell at the moment.

Which probably means that Jason doesn't have time to write about it!

Being overwhelmed with orders is a nice problem to have, but it can also do damage to a company.

Jan 29, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #28,745 of 149,336

There’s no conspiracy. The need to try to keep up with Magni 3 far outstripped our need to get the Mjolnir 2 run done. If we could get everything done at once, we would. Unfortunately, with the holidays, we had to make some decisions. I do expect Mjolnir 2 soon. Also, if you want more up-to-date information than my guesses, contact orders@schiit.com

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 29, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #28,746 of 149,336
Maybe their shipping department shipped the Schiit to Shinola in Detroit rather than shipping to John in Ann Arbor, and Shinola won’t send them back! Shinola is selling the Schiit headphone amps as a perfect match for their new Canfield headphones as their “Schiit from Shinola” package!

:beyersmile: That would be perfect. Before Sol was announced, I was hoping Schiit would use a Shinola turntable at shows. But I doubt we'll see that or see any Schiit on schinola.com anytime soon.

Jan 29, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #28,747 of 149,336
:beyersmile: That would be perfect. Before Sol was announced, I was hoping Schiit would use a Shinola turntable at shows. But I doubt we'll see that or see any Schiit on schinola.com anytime soon.
Maybe I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, but to me, Shinola most certainly has nothing in common with Schiit. Shinola is nothing more than a body shop, for their watches anyway, with very minimal if any engineering. Chinese cases, Swiss movements, and nothing American except maybe assembled Stateside. They are the same category as audio companies that have pretty packaging with lesser than components on the inside. Now the company is about audio? What would the opinion be here if Schiit decided to be a lifestyle brand and make watches?

Jan 29, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #28,748 of 149,336
Maybe I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, but to me, Shinola most certainly has nothing in common with Schiit. Shinola is nothing more than a body shop, for their watches anyway, with very minimal if any engineering. Chinese cases, Swiss movements, and nothing American except maybe assembled Stateside. They are the same category as audio companies that have pretty packaging with lesser than components on the inside. Now the company is about audio? What would the opinion be here if Schiit decided to be a lifestyle brand and make watches?

Yeah it's just the names combination that got me going. In reality Shinola is about upscale marketing, and in their audio line that means $500 headphones, $1500 powered bookshelf speakers, and $2500 turntables priced on their branding more than their technical chops.

The investors made a big splash in the press for hiring locally and helping revitalize the economy there in Detroit. Yes some of their watch parts come from overseas, but for example for their bicycle line the parts come from the USA, they use American designers, and they have a big assembly operation.

I think the audio line is more like the bikes than the watches. Either way, not for me as these products are not value-based in prices or tech specs, but hey everyone gets a kick out of the name.

Jan 29, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #28,749 of 149,336
I hope everyone can tell their Schiit from Shinola...

:)

Jan 29, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #28,751 of 149,336
I have a sense of humor about not only that which surrounds me but also that which faces me in the mirror. In the real world, people are the mirrors of our life. In them we see the reflection of what it means to be human(e) and taking that in to account it only makes sense that we polish them as best we can so that they reflect well not only upon ourselves but also that they may see the world around them better. But some times you break a mirror. Not the end of the world as most any thing can be fixed but the repair requires effort on both sides of the looking glass, if you will.
Alas it is impossible to look into a mirror and see ones blind spots.

Jan 29, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #28,752 of 149,336
Alas it is impossible to look into a mirror and see ones blind spots.
I don't see it as impossible just an uncomfortable experience.

Why?
Because we must acknowledge our own self generated perceptual filters and try to negate them to see clearly.
Like suddenly trying to look clearly thru a dark and distorted glass and realizing this distortion is of our own choosing.

Just a thought or 2.

JJ

Jan 29, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #28,753 of 149,336
Interesting note - I see Shinola watches at Costco. Not holding breath waiting for Schiit gear to appear. Which kinda sums up the different approaches of the two firms. Still, I'm a bit disappointed to read Jason declaring, again, that he ain't makin' no $5K amps. Opportunity missed, and all.

Of course, such gear wouldn't be a good fit under the Schiit umbrella (and isn't that a mental image?) But what's stopping J+M from opening an upscale division, entitled Atelier Meerde perhaps, where exceptional sound wouldn't have to come in a plain aluminum wrapper and the stigma of low price and great value could be avoided. Jason, you're a marketing guy, how many people would sign on just because there's "Atelier" in the name?

There is of course satisfaction in meeting the challenge of designing to a price point. But wouldn't raising the ceiling give you and Mike the chance to spread your wings, pursue even more exotic designs, even indulge in a bit of bling? (You know you want to, hmmm?) You know there are folks who just have to spend more, and you'd be doing them a favor, really, since you aren't a charlatan and you'd give them a great quality product at a more than fair price. Plus you'd likely scare the, um, whey out of some of the established boutique outfits. By neglecting these customers, you're leaving money on the table.

This is a hobby, like bikes and watches. Nobody needs a watch these days. People like watches. People like sound gear. People like to feel stylish and special. You could be helping them. Don't be cruel.

Just get Sol and the Gadget launched first, please...

Jan 29, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #28,754 of 149,336
Put a Vidar in a machined box and sell it for big bucks, the guts can be exactly the same and people would pay gobs extra for the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back