Schiit Gungnir DAC
Dec 13, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #766 of 7,049
Yep - I use the Transporter as a digital preamp. BNC to the Gungnir. The Gungnir direct to the power amp. I know, much said about digital attenuation. I upsample redbook to 24/96 with Sox so I dont notice any problems with loss of S/N ratio, dynamic range etc. Very happy, and surprised. Next step is to upgrade the balanced interconnect. I'm sure I can get some mileage out of that.

Dec 14, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #767 of 7,049
getting a code 10 error on the driver installation for the USB version of the DAC.

ANyone else experiencgin this with their gungnir? OS is WIn 7 64 bit

edit: got this sorted out.. was a stupid windows issue.

Dec 19, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #768 of 7,049
A few quick questions I was hoping to get some help with... 

1) The BNC SPDiF uses the same digital signal as the RCA SPDiF, correct?

2) If so, I can get a BNC to RCA cable or adapter and run a second RCA digital source to a Gungnir, correct?

3) If the above are correct, anyone have any recommendations in the  <$50 range?

Thanks in advance!

Dec 19, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #769 of 7,049
x2...any impressions from W4S dac owners?

Quote:
Audiolab has always been Schiit like in delivering high value, no nonsense products so its not surprising that the two are neck and neck.

Any impressions from W4S DAC-2 owners?

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #770 of 7,049
Quote:
A few quick questions I was hoping to get some help with... 

1) The BNC SPDiF uses the same digital signal as the RCA SPDiF, correct?

2) If so, I can get a BNC to RCA cable or adapter and run a second RCA digital source to a Gungnir, correct?

3) If the above are correct, anyone have any recommendations in the  <$50 range?

Thanks in advance!

I decided to go straight to the source (no pun intended)...  According to Jason over at Schiit, the digital signal through BNC is identical to the RCA digital.  A BNC to RCA adaptor/cable can allow for a second RCA SPDIF input into the Gungnir.  I figured I would post this in case anyone was wondering or is looking for this info in the future...

Cheers!

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #771 of 7,049
The whole point of going BNC is that it can comply with 75ohm, and RCA mostly cannot! No other difference.

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #772 of 7,049
Quote:
Yep - I use the Transporter as a digital preamp. BNC to the Gungnir. The Gungnir direct to the power amp. I know, much said about digital attenuation. I upsample redbook to 24/96 with Sox so I dont notice any problems with loss of S/N ratio, dynamic range etc. Very happy, and surprised. Next step is to upgrade the balanced interconnect. I'm sure I can get some mileage out of that.

Wow maybe the new XDA-2 would work better as a pre amp?

Dec 22, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #773 of 7,049
Hello, the Gungnir is one of the DAC's I'm considering. I plan to go USB out from my computer to the DAC. I will use single ended at first from the DAC but want balanced capability as a potential upgrade path. I am considering Musical fidelity M1, Audio-GD Ref 5.32, Audio-gd NFB-1.32 , and Yulong Sabre D18. I would love to hear comparisons between these DAC's and the Gungnir if anyone has had them in their system. Thanks, Garth

Jan 1, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #776 of 7,049
I ordered the gungnir and mjolnir on december 3rd, going on a month now. Anyone else patiently waiting for them to come out of backorder? The wait wasn't that bad at first but now with the crazy holidays over I really want my Schiit.

Jan 1, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #777 of 7,049
Quote:
I ordered the gungnir and mjolnir on december 3rd, going on a month now. Anyone else patiently waiting for them to come out of backorder? The wait wasn't that bad at first but now with the crazy holidays over I really want my Schiit.

Orders won't ship until the end of December. Per Schiit's website. Give in 1-2 weeks. 

Jan 1, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #778 of 7,049

I feel you, I've been checking the status on the website nearly every morning recently. My current setup iphone->lcd3. Needless to say I'm ready for the mjolnir/gungnir combo to ship out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back