Schiit Gungnir DAC
Oct 14, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #391 of 7,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by plsvn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

my solution is... use optical for everything but 24-192 files :wink:

I don't have a Schiit DAC, but have any of you that do done any comparison with 24/192 files via USB and the same file downsampled an fed through optical?

Can you really hear the difference? If optical is done right, in theory, shouldn't it sound better than USB?

Not trying to start a troll post, but just curious if that has been discussed here about the Gungnir.

Oct 14, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #392 of 7,050
Yes, In fact I just did last night, and the difference was surprisingly noticeable to me-I thought it would've been much more minor. I don't like downsampling much anyway, but I definitely heard a difference for the worse!

Oct 14, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #393 of 7,050
Someone on Computer Audiophile, everyone else (including Jason) says it doesn't work.

thanks for info. Odd cos every dac I tried works

Oct 14, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #394 of 7,050
I love how a software has errors and all of a sudden its Schiit's fault.  Apple people have problems in iTunes?  No?  Not Schiit's problem :p

Agreed, the problems seem to be isolated to Macs running Audirvana Plus: Direct Mode. Also the C-Media CM6631 seems to have been around for a while now and has worked without problems other than this. I wouldn't be surprised if it was limited to Lion/Mountain Lion Users either :cool:

Oct 14, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #395 of 7,050
Quote:
Agreed, the problems seem to be isolated to Macs running Audirvana Plus: Direct Mode 
cool.gif

nope: a little up this thread a user reported the same issue using BitPerfect :wink:

Oct 14, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #396 of 7,050
I love Macs, (especially my brand-new iMac that was much too expensive), but do agree, that at times PCs do music better. Do they always automatically change sample rate, or do you still have to change it manually? The only way to do it automatically on a Mac is with Audirvana+ and some other even fancier programs. Also, if I put Windows on a partition of the iMac, I can use the 192kHz on the Optical Out. I'll be installing Windows 8 trial version and buying it if I like it. I do admit, Windows 7 is almost on par with Mac OS X in functionality for me, I just like the Mac interface so much better. And the tank-ness of the iMac, it's 30.5 pounds, and feels like its built like a brick...you get the picture.:D

Oct 14, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #397 of 7,050
Agreed, the problems seem to be isolated to Macs running Audirvana Plus: Direct Mode :cool:

nope: a little up this thread a user reported the same issue using BitPerfect :wink:

I wouldn't be surprised if it had to do with both of them not playing well with the new Mac OS.

OT but I just had to give up on my Drobo and I'm not the only one :mad:

Oct 14, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #398 of 7,050
Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if it had to do with both of them not playing well with the new Mac OS.

I wouldn't be surprised if it has, instead, something to do with USB implementation on Lion and ML: when the first was introduced I got mad for months with my external HDs (which, probably, has no relation with this matter)

Oct 14, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #399 of 7,050
[size=12pt]I just got my Gungnir back from Dan (PewterTA) who was using it while I was out of town.
It has well over 200 hrs on it now.
[/size]
[size=12pt]It is even more balanced, musical & just plain sweet at everything.[/size]

[size=12pt]Big revelation, though……….[/size]

[size=12pt]Dan also brought his brand new MF V-Link2.[/size]
[size=12pt]We compared it to the SoundBlaster Audigy 2 XS Sound Card in my NAS using Toslink output.
ASIO4ALLv2 & Foobar used for both during the comparison.
[/size]
[size=12pt]I am ordering the V-Link this week.[/size]
[size=12pt]The difference was immediately obvious as we toggled back and forth.[/size]
[size=12pt]Better definition, clarity, improved 3D soundstage, like the proverbial veil being lifted. [/size]

[size=12pt]The improved performance well exceeds the $200 investment.[/size]

Oct 14, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #400 of 7,050
Well duh, the Audigy resamples everything to 48K :p

Do get the V-Link 192 though, not the 2.  Its only $250 and its an XMOS.

Back on the bug people are blaming Schiit for.  Even if it was the USB, thats on C-Media to fix up the driver.  But like I experienced with my AP2... its the program.  For example, I thought it pretty lame that the AP2 didn't support event style wasapi.  And then I tried it on JRiver and low and behold, its a foobar problem.

Same thing here.

Now how's about some reviews :p

Oct 14, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #402 of 7,050
Ok, time for a deep breath!

Listening update....100+ hrs on the Gungnir now. Coax out from the Transporter. Near-field listening through the maggies. Nice 'body'. No digital 'hash'. I'm listening to some old, rather crappy recordings - ex. really old Genesis, Jimi Hendrix. Albums that tend to sound a bit 'thin'. Can be a bit harsh on the high peaks. I'm quite comfortable listening here. The speakers positioned about 5' from my listening position. Much like having headphones on. I can hear EVERYTHING that comes from the speaker. Nice staging between and behind the speakers.

I must add.. I have upsampled ALL of my files to 24/96, apodizing filter etc. etc. etc. That makes a difference. The Gungnir takes advantage of it!

If you are sick of 'hash' for breakfast, lunch and dinner - use your computer for what it is good at - process your redbook!

"I heard the old man tell his tail...."

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #405 of 7,050
Quote:
OT but I just had to give up on my Drobo and I'm not the only one
mad.gif

- The feedback/screeching happens only with my Bifrost, not once in hundreds of hours of listening to my Dragonfly.

- It happens with all players, not just Audirvana Plus.

- It happened with Snow Leopard as well as Lion and Mountain Lion.

- I don't recall whether any of the people who posted about this some months ago re the Bifrost over in the huge Schiit DAC info and anticipation thread were using Windows.

- I tried the other inputs, liked USB better, so I don't know whether it happens with coax or optical.  But it does happen with USB.  (For me, I'd say once or twice a week.)  I consider this a defect, so the question is whether it's bothersome enough to put you off using the Bifrost or Gungnir.  I've still got my Bifrost, so there's my answer.  Would be a good thing if Jason and Mike figured out what was going on and how to stop it, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back