Schiit Gungnir DAC
Oct 11, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #331 of 7,049
Nice! What else have you heard the HE6's on?

-Daniel

Ive heard them on all of the rotel integrated's and two mono, a roksan integrated, some audiolab integrated's, vintage quad 303 and quad preamp feeding it, a vela audio integrated and for headphone amps, the mjolnir, bha-1, b22, ef-6, wa22 and little dot mk vi...

I settled for the mjolnir as its less cumbersome and did "more things better" than most of the speaker amps. The quads (which are completely modified and slightly modernized) sounded so amazing and musical, but resolution really took a hit because of its age. And they didnt stage very well unfortunately. Rotel was too sharp.

I wish i could try some emotiva monos locally, curious about the hype around them and the he-6

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Oct 11, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #332 of 7,049
Ok - 24hs + on the Gungnir now.

Sitting down for some listening. Nice 'timber'. More flesh on the bones. A good example - at the end of Supertramp 'Dreamer' there are some tinkling 'bells'. At least I always thought they were bells as in metal. Now I'm hearing clearly that these are made of glass! Very cool.

Also less fatigue at higher volumes. One other observation - transients are the best I have heard, with what I might call very good decay. I'm likin it!

Oct 11, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #333 of 7,049
Anyone unhappy with the Mjolnir & Gungnir stack?  I originally thought the Mjolnir was quite excellent but a little overly lively, top tilted and less precise imaging wise from the Peak.

That said I've since changed DACs and now would consider my previous DAC shouty and having average imaging in comparison but still darker than neutral.

So tonally is the Gungnir more shifted down or up?  Anyone have comparisons to DAC in the 2K+ range?

Oct 11, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #334 of 7,049
I'd say the gungnir is tilted a bit more down, but I can't compare with many dacs unfortunately. 

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Oct 11, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #335 of 7,049
Quote:
Anyone unhappy with the Mjolnir & Gungnir stack?  I originally thought the Mjolnir was quite excellent but a little overly lively, top tilted and less precise imaging wise from the Peak.

That said I've since changed DACs and now would consider my previous DAC shouty and having average imaging in comparison but still darker than neutral.

So tonally is the Gungnir more shifted down or up?  Anyone have comparisons to DAC in the 2K+ range?

I wouldnt say that the Gungnir is either shifted up or down, Its cleaner and more defined, and shall I say 'boulder' than my $2K Transporter. My Transporter is a bit anemic. Also much more 'refined' than my 10 yr old MSB. The MSB was a bit raw compared to the refinement of the Transporter, but has a nice analog quality to the sound. There is a bit less of that digital sharpness that tends to cause fatigue. I'm not sure I would call that a shift down. I am also using tubes for a preamp. Its battery powered and now, with the Gungnir, I can very subtly hear the difference between my 50V pack and my 30V
pack. I didnt hear that difference before.

Oct 12, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #337 of 7,049
By tonally shifted I mean frequency balance.  Ie does the Gungnir have monster bass or piercing treble :wink:

Oct 12, 2012 at 7:31 AM Post #338 of 7,049
Hi All,

has anyone had any success running the gungnir from a squeezebox touch with the Enhanced Digital Output app?

Which is to say I'm not ... the sound is completely distorted. Some tracks are almost recognisable, but must are pretty much just musical static.

Jon

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #340 of 7,049
This is probably a no brainer but would there be a noticeable difference between the Gungnir and the Asus Essence one? I'm currently using the E1 as my DAC and amp for the T1 but hopefully will be receiving the Woo Audio WA2 in the next few weeks. I use FLAC files as my source so I'm thinking the E1 will most likely be the weak link in my chain so to speak. 

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #341 of 7,049
By tonally shifted I mean frequency balance.  Ie does the Gungnir have monster bass or piercing treble :wink:

Hey Solude - As far as any frequency peaks or valleys with the Gungnir, I cant really hear any. If anything, the bass is 'better' than my other 2 DAC's. I would say mid bass to low mids are quick, clear and well defined without bloat or smear.

My system is not a good judge for low bass because my maggies only go down to about 60hz, so I will take all the bass i can get from my mains. My Emotiva also does bass very well. Great combo for bookshelf or small speaker as well. My sub runs off its own DAC so it gets a different signal.

What I can comment on is the mids and highs. Very happy camper there. No sibilance. Big sound, but not puffy or smearing. Not rolled off either.

I was also considering the Metrum Octave. I went with Schiit due to made in USA and I like the name! I would expect the Metrum to sound very much like the Gungnir according to the reviews. It will be interesting to see a comparison between those.

Oct 12, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #342 of 7,049
My hunt for a PWD2 isn't going well so I might well have the Schiit stack soon.  Promised myself I would wait for the internal shots to be posted but my Audiophilleo trial isn't until the end of time so I have to get on with it.

Oct 12, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #343 of 7,049
The Burson Soloist sounds more "bright" than the Schiit Mjolnir - and that using the same DAC / headphone / music.

I have ordered the Gungnir and hope it is not too tuned to "the dark"...

Oct 12, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #345 of 7,049
Quote:
The Burson Soloist sounds more "bright" than the Schiit Mjolnir - and that using the same DAC / headphone / music.

Wow really?  Do you leave your gear on?  I found neither terribly bassy, but the Soloist was clearly more laid back in my rig.  Like a better B22 with slightly worse bass extension.  The Mjolnir I found clearly more energetic, and though not tonally tilted up it was more fatiguing in comparison.  Interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back