Schiit Gungnir DAC
Jun 4, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #6,181 of 7,049
I own both (A1 & A2) -- can barely tell them apart from an A/B. My pre-amp allows me to switch DACs with a button click. And I can split the optical out from my mScaler to feed both simultaneously. So literally, the only thing that changes is the DAC (even the same analog cables from DAC to pre-amp).

I'm 'headphones-only', so there may be differences 2-channel listeners hear that I miss, but that is more likely to be imaging (your holography), not tonality (your dry/brittle/stiff). I certainly don't hear a significant bright/dark difference.

(amusingly, the reason I own both is that I got the A2, liked it, succumbed to curiosity, found a good deal on an A1, and now can't decide which I prefer so I can sell the other)
I have never heard the A1, but my A2 is the one bit of gear I own that I have that I have never thought of upgrading. Of course this is an utterly subjective opinion, and may be influenced by the reality that I couldn't afford to even if I wanted to, but there you go.

Jun 7, 2021 at 5:05 AM Post #6,185 of 7,049
Sorry if this is a stupid question but if I get a 75ohm RCA to BNC cable can I connect an RCA coax source to my Gungnir BNC input without any negative consequences?

Jun 7, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #6,187 of 7,049
Sorry if this is a stupid question but if I get a 75ohm RCA to BNC cable can I connect an RCA coax source to my Gungnir BNC input without any negative consequences?
Yes, I have done the same for a while now ... IMO the SQ is better, albeit not by a large margin to my ears.

Jun 7, 2021 at 11:05 PM Post #6,188 of 7,049
Yes, I have done the same for a while now ... IMO the SQ is better, albeit not by a large margin to my ears.
I like the better connection the BNC provides.

I've also used an RCA<->BNC adapter with good effect.

Jun 8, 2021 at 6:20 AM Post #6,189 of 7,049
Hola folks,

Soooo..... I sold my BF2 and have a Gumby A2 gen5 headed my way and officially joined the Gumby club.
Parted with the BF2 due to its non compatible stacking capabilities with my MJ2. It just didn't fit properly in my limited space for listening.

Comparisons between the BF2 and gumby a2 gen 5 are all over the place so I'll be happy if the gumby is on par with the BF2 lol. Now I can put my OCD to rest knowing my dac can sit perfectly under the MJ2. Lol.

Cheers!

Jun 8, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #6,190 of 7,049
Hola folks,

Soooo..... I sold my BF2 and have a Gumby A2 gen5 headed my way and officially joined the Gumby club.
Parted with the BF2 due to its non compatible stacking capabilities with my MJ2. It just didn't fit properly in my limited space for listening.

Comparisons between the BF2 and gumby a2 gen 5 are all over the place so I'll be happy if the gumby is on par with the BF2 lol. Now I can put my OCD to rest knowing my dac can sit perfectly under the MJ2. Lol.

Cheers!
That's funny. That's kind of the reason I upgraded from my Bifrost to the Gumby as well. I have a Freya + and the Bifrost didn't stack well with the Freya, lol. I was happy with the sound quality other wise!

Jun 8, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #6,192 of 7,049
Hola folks,

Cheers!
Welcome to the Gumby family bro. Fantastic pairing with the MJ2.

Jun 8, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #6,194 of 7,049
It had to be done bro. I had to put the BF2 in between my laptop and MJ2 and it was way too cluttered lol.
1623171190977.png

Jun 8, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #6,195 of 7,049
Hola folks,

Cheers!
Kinda contra to Schiit's reason for discontinuing the Mjolnir ... the non-desktop friendly form factor. It matches the Gungnir perfectly ... I have my two stacked on a side table rather than on the desktop. Unless the Gungnir is due for the chop as well !!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back