Schiit Gungnir DAC
Jun 10, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #6,211 of 7,058
Really well put. I'm one of those boring folks who constantly minimizes the differences I describe -- I use words like 'slightly' 'somewhat' and 'a bit' all the time. Because that's what I hear, small differences.

But at the same time, some of those small differences make a huge difference to my enjoyment. Hence the mScaler/TT2 stack :)
In my recent reviews (or thread posts which are "review like") I also use words like "slightly" and "somewhat". Whatever I review or post about next will also have some kind of statement about whether or not a difference I try to describe is important to me and why (I hate it when reviewers leave out the "why I like/ don't like this aspect").

Yeah, small changes in sound making large changes in listening enjoyment is what separates hobbyists from everyone else, I think.

Jun 10, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #6,212 of 7,058
I own both a Gungnir MB and Yggdrasil. The Gungnir is A1, the Yggdrasil A2 + Unison. The difference is notable, in that the Yggdrasil is more detailed and accurate sounding. I preferred it via USB in my headphone system and the Gungnir in my HT for music purposes (using S/PDIF input.) YMMV

Jun 10, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #6,213 of 7,058
I own both a Gungnir MB and Yggdrasil. The Gungnir is A1, the Yggdrasil A2 + Unison. The difference is notable, in that the Yggdrasil is more detailed and accurate sounding. I preferred it via USB in my headphone system and the Gungnir in my HT for music purposes (using S/PDIF input.) YMMV
I wonder whether the difference that some hear is really just as much down to the difference between USB and S/PDIF inputs. I read somewhere that Unison trumps S/PDIF (maybe on HF, I can't remember now), although I haven't tried it. I'm purely S/PDIF now (BNC) and I personally wouldn't go back to USB ... happy with the sound to my ears.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #6,214 of 7,058
I wonder whether the difference that some hear is really just as much down to the difference between USB and S/PDIF inputs. I read somewhere that Unison trumps S/PDIF (maybe on HF, I can't remember now), although I haven't tried it. I'm purely S/PDIF now (BNC) and I personally wouldn't go back to USB ... happy with the sound to my ears.
Certainly one of the many variables.

Jun 10, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #6,215 of 7,058
To my ears, going from an A2 Gumby to an A2 Yggy was a slight, marginal difference. I ended up selling the Yggy because I didn't really hear anything I preferred enough from the Yggy to justify the price difference. Many 'knowledgeable' folks have mentioned that I might hear a bigger difference from a 2-channel system, but I'm 'headphones only'.

As an aside, after selling the Yggy, I ended up purchasing a used A1 Gumby. Both are in my system now, and I keep meaning to decide which one to sell, but can't find a significant differentiator.

Really well put. I'm one of those boring folks who constantly minimizes the differences I describe -- I use words like 'slightly' 'somewhat' and 'a bit' all the time. Because that's what I hear, small differences.

But at the same time, some of those small differences make a huge difference to my enjoyment. Hence the mScaler/TT2 stack :)

That's an interesting point. I too am headphones only. I don't plan to use the DAC for a speaker system

Jun 11, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #6,216 of 7,058
That's an interesting point. I too am headphones only. I don't plan to use the DAC for a speaker system
For purposes of this discussion, I too, am head phone only. However, I keep saying I will one day put my Bifrost and/ or Gungnir into my living room system to see if I hear any difference compared to the DACs I currently use there (multi-channel system).

Jun 11, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #6,218 of 7,058
Thanks everyone for the input! :) It looks like it'll be a Gumby for me. Saves me 1200 bucks, haha. I can't justify paying 100% more for a Yggdrasil if the incremental difference in terms of sound quality/sound signature is like only 5%, especially on a headphone only set-up.

Jun 11, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #6,220 of 7,058
Thanks everyone for the input! :) It looks like it'll be a Gumby for me. Saves me 1200 bucks, haha. I can't justify paying 100% more for a Yggdrasil if the incremental difference in terms of sound quality/sound signature is like only 5%, especially on a headphone only set-up.
Another added bonus is the Gumby only takes 6 hours to fully warm up to its best sound from a cold power on, whereas the Yggy still takes several days.

Jun 12, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #6,221 of 7,058
It can be a really small difference between really, really excellent and exquisite. Some people can't hear the difference, but if you can, then that small, small difference can push the sound quality over into the sublime. Even possibly into a religious experience.
On a somewhat related theme: I also have come to believe (partly because I see myself doing this) many people climb the price ladder also because that next piece of gear isn't "that much more expensive than what I have now". Kind of like, "well, I'm already in this deep, the Miracle DAC doesn't dig that hole much deeper". One other way to put it: the value of the different sounds isn't judged in relation to the difference in cost between say the new price of a Modi and an Yggrdasil, but the difference in cost between the DAC I've already paid for and the DAC I am considering buying. In my debate about whether to spend my money on a Gungnir multibit or not, I haven't really considered just selling both my Bifrost multibit and my Gungnir and just buying a Modi. The Modi changes bits to waves, too, right? Changing my Gungnir costs me a few hundred dollars, selling both and buying a Modi brings me a few hundred dollars. But I don't need to do that, and Gungnir multibit is just a bit more than I've already spent, so that's OK, right? :)

Does anyone know what the current turn around time is for the Unison USB is? Was thinking of sending my gumby in to get it.
Also , to whom who've had it done. How much of a difference is there?
Another question: can the change to Unison be done at home (buy the board and install it yourself)?

Jun 12, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #6,222 of 7,058
On a somewhat related theme: I also have come to believe (partly because I see myself doing this) many people climb the price ladder also because that next piece of gear isn't "that much more expensive than what I have now". Kind of like, "well, I'm already in this deep, the Miracle DAC doesn't dig that hole much deeper". One other way to put it: the value of the different sounds isn't judged in relation to the difference in cost between say the new price of a Modi and an Yggrdasil, but the difference in cost between the DAC I've already paid for and the DAC I am considering buying. In my debate about whether to spend my money on a Gungnir multibit or not, I haven't really considered just selling both my Bifrost multibit and my Gungnir and just buying a Modi. The Modi changes bits to waves, too, right? Changing my Gungnir costs me a few hundred dollars, selling both and buying a Modi brings me a few hundred dollars. But I don't need to do that, and Gungnir multibit is just a bit more than I've already spent, so that's OK, right? :)

Another question: can the change to Unison be done at home (buy the board and install it yourself)?
From what I gather , you have to send the gumby in. BF2 and Yggy you dont.

Jun 14, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #6,224 of 7,058
Jun 15, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #6,225 of 7,058
Does anyone know what the current turn around time is for the Unison USB is? Was thinking of sending my gumby in to get it.
Also , to whom who've had it done. How much of a difference is there?
I had my Gumby A1 upgraded to Unison. Process went well and it has been working great. It's been too long to quantify how much better and detail it. Best I can say is that it was money well spent. I had original USB and had skipped Gen 5 upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back