Schiit Gungnir DAC
Apr 4, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #6,121 of 7,050
Hey guys. I watched a video review about the ARES II recently and was asked by the video creator to share my impressions between the ARES II and my current Schiit Gungnir [A2].
(I also posted this to the ARES thread on hf.)
This was my response: "I am still in the process of comparing these 2 excellent DACs. So far I think it is pretty much how I heard it described by reviewers:
The Gumby has very good soundstage and 3D spatial presentation but is a decent amount better on detail retrieval and resolution.
The ARES II has better bass and a wider soundstage, and an equally satisfying, but different 3D spatial feel, but is slightly behind the Gumby in micro-detail and resolution.
I would describe the presentation of both as "holographic," especially compared with DS DACs.
Even though the ARES is wider sounding, it sounds a bit "congested" or "congealed" [for lack of better words] compared with the Gumby. Instruments blend together more on the ARES while the Gumby sounds like the "layering" of the instruments is better.
Obviously, I am over-emphasizing the differences in order to contrast these with each other. They are similar at first listen.
Both are very, very good. And without a doubt there are tracks/albums that I prefer on the ARES, but the Gumby just sounds great with everything, IMO!
And that is only my thoughts on PCM! Schiit DACs don't support DSD :frowning2:
For DSD I will compare the ARES II to the JNOG and try to test whether I have a strong preference for the ARES.
Although it is a fantastic DAC (especially for the money), I might not be able to justify keeping it in the fold. Essentially, I would have to hear a significant difference in DSD presentation to rationalize keeping it.
TBH though, I wish I could own like 5 or 6 different types of DACs just to be able to use it like a spice or seasoning to "flavor" the sound for different moods, but that seems excessive. Oh well. First-World problems as they say. Guess I should just continue to try and be grateful and enjoy the music..."
Anyways, that's probably my most detailed writing on how something sounds. Hope it's not filled with too many cliche or noobish terms and whatnot.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #6,122 of 7,050
Hi guys

I don't have much experience with high end schiit gears, I'm thinking about going with the Gungnir, Ragnarok combo. I currently have a grace design m903 and RME ADI 2. I have jbl lsr 305s, and jbl580 Tower speakers. And variety of headphones. How much improvement can I expect? I'm also curious about the topping A90 & D90 combo.
Has anyone here have experience the gears mentioned above? And how it competes with high end schiit?

Thank you!

Apr 6, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #6,123 of 7,050
IMO, Gumby stomps all over the D90 and ADI-2 in sound quality. I have not heard the Ragnarok, but I currently have a Jotunheim 2 which I have heard compares favorably with the Rag. I sold my A90 after getting the Jot 2 bc the A90 sounded far less dynamic in comparison. Haven't heard the m903, so I can't speak to that, but the Gungnir MultiBit is an indispensable part of my listening experience, which also includes JBL 305s. HIGHLY REC'D!

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #6,125 of 7,050
@LCMusicLover Hi.

I am sorry to possibly disturb you, but I would be interested to know of why you decided to change your DAC to the Gungnir, from the Pontus.
In A/B comparisons (both fed from same source via SU-1, both playing to same amp via preamp source-switching) I preferred the more crisp/detailed sound of the Gumby to the slightly more musical, but less precise sound of the Pontus. Relatively small difference, but non-zero.

Here's a post I wrote on the subject. I had started out trying to compare cables, but ended up comparing DACs at the same time:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/focal-utopia-general-discussion.811273/post-15402529

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #6,126 of 7,050
In A/B comparisons (both fed from same source via SU-1, both playing to same amp via preamp source-switching) I preferred the more crisp/detailed sound of the Gumby to the slightly more musical, but less precise sound of the Pontus. Relatively small difference, but non-zero.

Here's a post I wrote on the subject. I had started out trying to compare cables, but ended up comparing DACs at the same time:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/focal-utopia-general-discussion.811273/post-15402529
My local audio group ran blind comparisons on 20 dacs ranging from $500 to $6,000 but unfortunately the SU-1 was not in that group. We did have a Gungnir and Yggy in there though.

Apr 8, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #6,127 of 7,050
I preferred the more crisp/detailed sound of the Gumby to the slightly more musical, but less precise sound of the Pontus.
Well said. That's pretty much how I would describe what I am hearing when comparing the ARES II with the Gumby. Ares is slightly more "musical", but the Gumby was more crisp, clean and detailed. I should have a PI2AES in a few weeks to see if that has any discernible improvements over the Gumby's Gen5 USB.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021 at 3:20 AM Post #6,128 of 7,050
IMO, Gumby stomps all over the D90 and ADI-2 in sound quality. I have not heard the Ragnarok, but I currently have a Jotunheim 2 which I have heard compares favorably with the Rag. I sold my A90 after getting the Jot 2 bc the A90 sounded far less dynamic in comparison. Haven't heard the m903, so I can't speak to that, but the Gungnir MultiBit is an indispensable part of my listening experience, which also includes JBL 305s. HIGHLY REC'D!
Thank you for your help! I have a Ragnarok incoming, I was very impressed with the RME, I think I'll pass on what topping has to offer because it doesn't seem like a upgrade to what I have. I'm very curious about the gumby.

Apr 26, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #6,129 of 7,050
My local audio group ran blind comparisons on 20 dacs ranging from $500 to $6,000 but unfortunately the SU-1 was not in that group. We did have a Gungnir and Yggy in there though.
Any major takeaways you could share?

Apr 26, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #6,130 of 7,050
I noticed yesterday that my GMB's coax input is a bit wobbly.

How concerned should I be?

Apr 26, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #6,131 of 7,050
Apr 26, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #6,132 of 7,050
I best not, I can try to PM you later. Such things can cause arguments.😀
I'd love to hear your thoughts too via PM if possible. Cheers!

Apr 30, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #6,133 of 7,050
edited and removed because I inaccurate info.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2021 at 6:30 AM Post #6,134 of 7,050
Any major takeaways you could share?
I always find those blind test don't yield the best results. I have found you have to live with a piece of gear for days to weeks, to get a feel for it and be able to compare. Jumping back and forth between gear and straining to hear differences, just wears out yours ears.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #6,135 of 7,050
I always find those blind test don't yield the best results. I have found you have to live with a piece of gear for days to weeks, to get a feel for it and be able to compare. Jumping back and forth between gear and straining to hear differences, just wears out yours ears.
It truly depends on how the tests are set up, we have music recorded specifically to show off 25 different criteria and 50 people are used as a test group because of the accuracy of large numbers. Audio engineers control the volume level so all levels are the same. We will be doing the same thing for 6SN7 tubes using four identical amps I designed and built. This is a team effort and the way my audiophile group likes to run such tests.

There is no jumping back and forth, you listen and score each DAC or amp or tube or whatever. At the very end if you have identical scores you can go back and revisit a couple devices if you like. I set up something for Jason at Schiit using tubes by the way, after he heard about what I was doing with other friends. This was only eight tubes that I sealed in PVC and Saga's were used. It was indeed a double blind test since no one knew what the tubes were till after the testing. DAC's can be tricky I agree but we did not know if we were listening to a $500 DAC or a $5,000 DAC, this eliminates expectation bias. I leant my Gungnir to the trial, someone else had a Yggy, Schiit was the only manufacturer with two devices in the group. The problem with what I set up for Jason is only 6sn7's of a certain size and shape could be used. PSvanes would not fit, or single triode tubes like 7a4's or 6J5's. My new testing allows for any 6sn7 equivalent to be compared.

With a large group and averaging the scores you can get a large sampling. One test subject had her test results match those of the entire group, that is unusual and rare. I had numbers five and six reversed compared to the final outcome. As far as wearing out ears, all test subjects are doing fine. :ksc75smile:

IMG_2811 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back