Schiit Gungnir DAC
Sep 22, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #5,326 of 7,161
Interesting! I am considering a BDP like Bryston, but the new ones are $3,500. Ouch.
I have heard that the old BDP-1 has stability issues like power blips causing system resets ... have you experienced that?
I still believe the AES will sound the best, if you have that option (read YGGY), but the GMB doesn't have an AES input.

I was using the AES out into my preamp but we moved recently and the setup changed so now it's coax into GMB. I still haven't set up the system properly to say what difference, if any, that's making.

My BDP-1 has been stable with no random system resets. It's always been plugged into low-end power "stabilizers" (currently a SurgeX unit) as I've always suffered from odd power glitches. One blew out my electric car's charger and its charging station!

I run mpd on the BDP and feed that mpd music over ethernet. I'm therefore not keeping any music on the BDP or have any attached storage. Maybe that makes a difference. I do use the USB ports to try out new music and I have copied some music to it but that's not the primary way I use the BDP.

I had a SoTM SMS-200 which was a great unit. That was USB-only and once I decided to pursue non-USB it needed to be replaced. Selling it and using the proceeds to cover 90% of the cost of a BDP-1 was one of the best audio decisions I've ever made. Still batting something like a whopping .005 overall
though when it comes to audio decision making :)

P.S. My Gumby does not have USB of any kind so that's not currently an option.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #5,327 of 7,161
For anyone interested in a quality CD player, I’ve decided to sell my Meridian 508.24; it has had little use, is in mint condition and has, of course, coax out. If interested, feel free to contact me.

Sep 22, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #5,328 of 7,161

I was using the AES out into my preamp but we moved recently and the setup changed so now it's coax into GMB. I still haven't set up the system properly to say what difference, if any, that's making.

My BDP-1 has been stable with no random system resets. It's always been plugged into low-end power "stabilizers" (currently a SurgeX unit) as I've always suffered from odd power glitches. One blew out my electric car's charger and its charging station!

I run mpd on the BDP and feed that mpd music over ethernet. I'm therefore not keeping any music on the BDP or have any attached storage. Maybe that makes a difference. I do use the USB ports to try out new music and I have copied some music to it but that's not the primary way I use the BDP.

I had a SoTM SMS-200 which was a great unit. That was USB-only and once I decided to pursue non-USB it needed to be replaced. Selling it and using the proceeds to cover 90% of the cost of a BDP-1 was one of the best audio decisions I've ever made. Still batting something like a whopping .005 overall
though when it comes to audio decision making :)

P.S. My Gumby does not have USB of any kind so that's not currently an option.

Thanks for the info ... my batting average in this hobby is pretty low as well . :)

Another Head-Fi pal is using the BDP-1 with USB music, that's where I heard about the drop-outs.
I just thought that keeping music on a thumb drive (or SSD) feeding thru a server sounds like an easy way to manage digital files.

Why does your GMB not have any USB at all? I'm using the Gen 5 as my go-to connection (from Mac) and it works very well -

Cheers!
RCB

Sep 22, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #5,329 of 7,161
Another Head-Fi pal is using the BDP-1 with USB music, that's where I heard about the drop-outs.
I just thought that keeping music on a thumb drive (or SSD) feeding thru a server sounds like an easy way to manage digital files.

Why does your GMB not have any USB at all? I'm using the Gen 5 as my go-to connection (from Mac) and it works very well -

I use MinimServer to organize the music on my server. Way more flexible than what the BDP can do on its own. As a classical music listener I need that flexibility.

I misspoke about the Gumby not having USB. I know it's not Gen5 because the Gumby is too old for that.

Sep 22, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #5,331 of 7,161
You can update your Gungnir’s USB to Gen five; I think Schiit charges $100 for the parts, if you do it yourself and $150 installed!
I know but since I'm not using anyway haven't felt the need.

Sep 23, 2018 at 3:23 AM Post #5,332 of 7,161
About usb. Just buy Curious Cable and it will change sound pretty much. This cable has a fuller, darker and richer musical perspective than any of the USB cables I have tried.
I used to be like cables don´t matter but then i hear this in friends place with my equipment and i was blown away. It is just great.

Sep 23, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #5,333 of 7,161
About usb. Just buy Curious Cable and it will change sound pretty much. This cable has a fuller, darker and richer musical perspective than any of the USB cables I have tried.
I used to be like cables don´t matter but then i hear this in friends place with my equipment and i was blown away. It is just great.

Interesting stuff. Here's a write-up on the Curious Cable and one other.
The author writes that the USB cable can change the tone of the music. One has more mids, the other has more bass.

https://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/audio-ramblings-usb-cables-curious-anticable/

I'm using Alex's Wywires Platinum (the link above contains a link to the Wywires Platinum review) and am very happy with it, but will ask his opinion of the Curious Cable design.

Sep 26, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #5,334 of 7,161
I got the Taurus MKII used for $1000, and might've even overpaid by about $200. iFi Pro iCan should be much better than the HDVA600 from what I hear. Violectric V281 used is another option. Then there's more obscure stuff like the Gustard H20 that you'll have people claiming is really good.

I think Questyle is crap too. Had the 400i at home, used 600i at a store. HDVA600 vs CMA600i is like being stuck between a rock and hard place. But if you are content with the Gumby + HDVA600 that's what matters.
Ok, I'm not posting this reply to be a pain but to close the discussion with a bit more knowledge on my part. Actually, I wrote quite a bit explaining what I auditioned, heard and whatever but I decided to delete everything since this the Gungnir thread.

...so, I fell in love with the Auralic Taurus MK1 and decided later to buy the MK2 (got them both at the moment). As a general consensus, yes it beats the HDVA600. With the Auralic I can enjoy music (like 80's albums) which sounds like crap on the HDVA600. If I had to choose one it would be the Taurus 100%.

That being said. There is something special about the HDVA600 I don't want to miss. I hear the same stuff as the Taurus but in a different way. Like me at a young age trying to be first (Taurus) and me like now, "there will be plenty left when I arrive"...

Does the HDVA600 suck? No, not in my book. It's a flavor I don't want to be without (so its going nowhere).
Do I like the Bryston BHA-1? No, way too sharp.
Do I like the iFi Pro? Not really, sorry I can't hear anything special. And what's with the tubes?!
Do I like the Violectric V281? Hell yes, but I'm not paying so much money for such an ugly box.
And last but not least, the Taurus is here to stay :.)

Thank you @rutter :v:, without you there would be no Taurus behind me :L3000:.

Dull my senses
steal my pride
principles denied
Passion faked and sold to the anthem green and gold.
Colour of the virtue by working like a slave
More precious than life? itself
what's the colour tempting fate?

What's the colour of money?
what's the colour of money?
Don't tell me that you think it's green
me I know it's red.

Sep 26, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #5,335 of 7,161
Just upgraded from Bifrost Multibit to Gungnir DS....... i am the 3rd owner and the unit is 3+ years old. I shall upgrade to Multibit as soon as funds allow and also get the Gen 5 USB board fitted at the same time. Thanks go to Fraser for selling it to me at a very reasonable price. A nice piece of kit and despite being delta sigma has a sound signature that i can live with for now. It has Gen 2 USB which is what i use currently.

Sep 26, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #5,336 of 7,161
Just upgraded from Bifrost Multibit to Gungnir DS.
Noticed any sound differences and if yes, care to share :.)
A few weeks ago someone was selling a Gungnir DS for 350€. I was so tempted to buy, just to be able to compare both. I'm glad I didn't coz it would be silly. "Look ma, 2 Gungnirs" :.)

Sep 26, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #5,338 of 7,161
Noticed any sound differences and if yes, care to share :.)
A few weeks ago someone was selling a Gungnir DS for 350€. I was so tempted to buy, just to be able to compare both. I'm glad I didn't coz it would be silly. "Look ma, 2 Gungnirs" :.)
The difference for me compared to the bifrost multibit is hard for me to quantify...... i was an early adopter of the bifrost and upgraded to uber before upgrading to gen 2 usb and multibit. I guess i had the bifrost 6+ years and all i can say is that the sound from the gungnir sounds less congested to my ears, however its a bit brighter in the treble . I could not afford £1100 for a new gungnir multibit so decided to by one used (i am the 3rd owner).... i paid £395. Soundwise i have left it on for a week so far and find the Delta Sigma chip to be quite good. I am 55 so my hearing has deteriorated compared to say a teenagers. The sound is about on par with the bifrost multibit so i am looking forward to the Gen 5 usb and multibit upgrade for the gungnir.... Apologies if i am not describing the sound properly.... I very rarely post and have only been a member for 2 years. It was always my intention to source a gungnir DS secondhand because of the price and then upgrade. I will do my best to give a more coherent opinion about the sound when i have listened to the dac for another 3 or 4 weeks as this will give me time to play my music and find out the gungnirs signature soundwise. By the way i listen for 8 to 10 hours a day when i get the chance.

Sep 26, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #5,339 of 7,161
This is ideally what I would get next, if I'd get something at the moment. Not even close on money though, even used. At least I know what I'm getting in a 2080 ti graphics card.
From what I have heard and read about the V281 man that amp would be end game for sure. I could see myself going for one someday but happy with MJ2 for a while. There is a lot of great SS options in that V281 price range. Also I too wouldve thought the iFi iCAN Pro woulda been an awesome headphone amp from all the reviews Ive seen. iFis 3d/crossfeed is also just incredible. It does something different then a standard crossfeed that I just cant explain. When I had the micro idsd black label I loved it with the hifiman he400i but when I stepped up to the LCD-X the headphones were already so 3D sounding on their own that the light use of the 3D effect on the micro was no longer apparent. But I have heard that the pro make a more noticeable difference as it has more steps. But that type of stuff isnt for everyone. V281 or Headamp GSX-MKII would prolly sound better long term.

Sep 26, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #5,340 of 7,161
@earChasm @rutter Ive heard you guys talk about auditioning amps and headphones and what not. I gotta ask how are you doing this? Are you just fortunate to live somewhere with a high end shop close by or do you order it and return it? I live in palm coast, Fl and google searching high end audio shops shows me things like best buy and guitar center haha which is not quite high end audio. God I would love to have a place to go where I could autdition some of this stuff rather then just hoping the 30 reviews I read and watched will suit my taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back