Schiit Gungnir DAC
Sep 20, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #5,312 of 7,100
Anyone with a gungnir multibit with gen 5 usb tried it with an ifi purifier or regen? Id be curious to know if there is any benefit at all or if Schiit did in fact fix usb with the gen 5 upgrade.
Used if with the iFi purifier and couldn't hear a clear different. I did kinda feel it made the sound worse, like less 3d. Eventually I switched to coax because that sounds best to my ears.

Sep 20, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #5,313 of 7,100
Rather than continuing to mess around to try to "fix" USB I decided to get a better source via coax. I got a used Bryston BDP-1 for less than the cost of some of the USB cleaner-uppers.

The clarity out of the BDP-1 via coax or AES made the change very worthwhile.

Sep 20, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #5,314 of 7,100
Hello many years reading , now time for my first post!
I have tried usb gen 5 (gumby) with ifi i galvanic 3.0 and i silencer 3 and the improvement is there but very minimal
to worth the cost.
But then i tried the bnc (cd transport) in with the ifi i spdif purifier and the difference was huge an improvement in every way
and the result better than the usb gen 5 in.
(imho)

Sep 20, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #5,317 of 7,100
SPDIF is different from coaxial? I see it on my motherboard but don't see something explicitly labeled coaxial. Wonder if where I have speakers connected is coaxial. How do usb, spdif, and coaxial compare?

Sep 21, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #5,324 of 7,100
Man thanks for all the responses to that question guys. I was curious about the regen and also about just using spdif or optical to see if there is a noticeable sound difference and am currently building a computer which will have the capability. I am hoping that spdif or optical sounds better cuz id rather not spend $150 on a regen since most of you agree ifi purifier is not so dramatic. What is the maximum sound quality you can get from spdif and optical? I thought I read somwhere that it is lower then USB. Not that I have a ton of stuff streaming higher then cd quality just more curiousity I guess. I use tidal and frequently listen to mqa when available.

Sep 21, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #5,325 of 7,100
Rather than continuing to mess around to try to "fix" USB I decided to get a better source via coax. I got a used Bryston BDP-1 for less than the cost of some of the USB cleaner-uppers.

The clarity out of the BDP-1 via coax or AES made the change very worthwhile.

Interesting! I am considering a BDP like Bryston, but the new ones are $3,500. Ouch.
I have heard that the old BDP-1 has stability issues like power blips causing system resets ... have you experienced that?

Personally, I was using optical (AQ diamond) from my Macbook Pro to GMB.
That was until the Gen 5 USB launched.
I switched at once, to test the Gen 5 - and it blew away the optical.
The Gen 5 is uber-stable and the sound is actually better, to my ears, than was the optical.

I still believe the AES will sound the best, if you have that option (read YGGY), but the GMB doesn't have an AES input.

Cheers,
RCB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back