Schiit Gungnir DAC
Feb 1, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #4,786 of 7,049
Wow, I'm surprised that mine hasn't shipped! I placed my order the same day, only it was in the evening. Who knew only a few hours could make such a big difference in shipping times!

i think you all are assuming that schiit's availability on the web site is accurate, but it is usually not, particularly for products like the gumby and yggy. took a several weeks to ship for me for something that was "in stock" on the web site.

i'm convinced schiit is always doing their best -- i'm on my third dac from them and have been pleased with them all.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #4,790 of 7,049
I also purchased a Jotunheim with the Gumby but I still own a Lyr 2 and Bimby. It's only been running a day but I like the Jot and Gumby combo. Tonight I'm going to pair the Lyr 2 with the Gumby and see how I like that.
Ah you are so lucky! I bought a Violectric V280 amp to go with my Gumby, so I've been listening out of the headphone port of my Macbook Air using a stereo to RCA cable. I originally bought the Jot w/DAC combo to go with my HD 800 S, and it was pretty good, but I felt that the V280/Gumby combo would be exceptional. What headphones are you using?

Feb 1, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #4,791 of 7,049
Ah you are so lucky! I bought a Violectric V280 amp to go with my Gumby, so I've been listening out of the headphone port of my Macbook Air using a stereo to RCA cable. I originally bought the Jot w/DAC combo to go with my HD 800 S, and it was pretty good, but I felt that the V280/Gumby combo would be exceptional. What headphones are you using?

I have some Mee audio P1 IEM's and Audeze LCD-2's. The Gumby is still settling in and is getting better and better. I have a balanced cable ordered for my LCD-2's. I'm listening now with Q Audio French silk cables but they aren't balanced but they do sound very good. Next upgrade will probably a new set of cans.

Feb 1, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #4,792 of 7,049
I also purchased a Jotunheim with the Gumby but I still own a Lyr 2 and Bimby. It's only been running a day but I like the Jot and Gumby combo. Tonight I'm going to pair the Lyr 2 with the Gumby and see how I like that.

Very interested in hearing Jot vs Lyr 2 (w/tubes) via Gumby.

But I would wait at least 2 or 3 days before doing serious comparisons. Mine didn't really open up until about 7 days. Gumby just gets better and better with time.

Feb 1, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #4,793 of 7,049
Very interested in hearing Jot vs Lyr 2 (w/tubes) via Gumby.

But I would wait at least 2 or 3 days before doing serious comparisons. Mine didn't really open up until about 7 days. Gumby just gets better and better with time.

It's only been about 40 hours since connected but I notice that it's better tonight than this morning. I'm listening with the Lyr2 right now with the Gumby and I like what I hear. There is more detail than the Bimby but the Bimby sounds great too! I will keep you updated as time goes on and the Gumby gets more hours. The Jot is also a joy to listen to connected to the Gumby. Frankly, I could live with either amp connected to the Gumby right now. Will keep listening. One thing is I certainly lose track of time when listening.

Feb 1, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #4,794 of 7,049
Yes, Gumby is addicting and it's easy to become unproductive. I have to often force myself to stop listening. Or sometimes the joy of listening becomes so overwhelming I have to take frequent breaks.

Gumby will probably start to "disappear" around the 7 day mark, where all that's left is THE RECORDING.

Feb 1, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #4,795 of 7,049
Yes, Gumby is addicting and it's easy to become unproductive. I have to often force myself to stop listening. Or sometimes the joy of listening becomes so overwhelming I have to take frequent breaks.

Gumby will probably start to "disappear" around the 7 day mark, where all that's left is THE RECORDING.

I'm enjoying the journey to the 7 day mark....

Feb 2, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #4,798 of 7,049
I was surprised when I got the shipping notice because they said early Feb on the Gungnir...It will be worth the wait...and I know that it sucks having to wait.
Yeah, when you said that you got the shipping notice I began to get excited, thinking I may get one too :) In good time though... I know it is going to be worth every penny. BTW, I have finally discovered the power of having a DAC, even a lower quality one. As I listen to the following chain I can hear all of the static coming through: Macbook Air (headphone out) --> Violectric V280 --> HD 800 S (balanced cable). The headphone out on a Macbook Air makes the Modi 2 Uber sound like gold. I can't even imagine how great the Gumby is going to sound.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #4,799 of 7,049
Yeah, when you said that you got the shipping notice I began to get excited, thinking I may get one too :) In good time though... I know it is going to be worth every penny. BTW, I have finally discovered the power of having a DAC, even a lower quality one. As I listen to the following chain I can hear all of the static coming through: Macbook Air (headphone out) --> Violectric V280 --> HD 800 S (balanced cable). The headphone out on a Macbook Air makes the Modi 2 Uber sound like gold. I can't even imagine how great the Gumby is going to sound.
The Gumby will be an amazing improvement to your listening experience. Enjoy!

Feb 6, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #4,800 of 7,049

Did you ever get a shipping notice? Mine has been powered six days now and I just get lost in the music...it's a keeper. Looks like I'll be selling the Bimby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back