Schiit Gungnir DAC
Jan 27, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #4,757 of 7,080
Well they told me that it would be early February on my order. But, it might just be the multibit version that is held up...don't know they didn't say. Just this: Order Status: Gungnir production delay. Sorry that I don't have more info.

Jan 27, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #4,758 of 7,080
Here is the email they sent.

Thank you for your order. Based on current part projections, it looks like it will be back in production by early February. Tracking information will be emailed when the order ships so you can watch for FedEx's estimated delivery date.

Laura Zeman
Schiit Audio
Customer Service

Jan 27, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #4,759 of 7,080
Also, Gumby is balanced which makes a difference to some (like me).

IIRC, Nelson Pass said a subtle amount of 2nd order distortion in his amps made people hear a deeper soundstage. That surprised him but if that's what the customer wants....
That's an interesting statement by Pass. I have heard people say particular tube amps creates a bit of an expanded perception of space. Tubes are known to add harmonic distortions. I wonder if there are details in how the added harmonic distortions creates a sense of expanded space.

Jan 27, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #4,760 of 7,080
Well they told me that it would be early February on my order. But, it might just be the multibit version that is held up...don't know they didn't say. Just this: Order Status: Gungnir production delay. Sorry that I don't have more info.
Oh, I see, I think. Anyway, I have mine (gumby) and love it. Sorry you have to wait. Have a good weekend anyway.
Cheers

Jan 27, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #4,761 of 7,080
Gumby underwent two distinct changes for me. After about 2 days when it became magic, and then after about a week, where it became more neutral and less warm and more realistic. But I got a used one, so it was already burned in. Not sure what will happen with a new unit.
I have my impressions when my Gumby came somewhere in this thread. My experience was similar to yours but I didn't notice any more changes after about a week. There was one day in there where it got worse then it got better again (yay!).

Jan 28, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #4,764 of 7,080
That's the same combo I'm using. I hope you like them as much as I do.

I plan on using that combo myself for the HD800's (for gaming though). I've decided to regulate them to that duty so I can make use of the balanced inputs as there are rarely OTL amps that are fully balanced.

Jan 29, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #4,767 of 7,080
I never directly compared them, but I did listen to Yggy last year. There was never a problem with the treble. It was smooth and detailed. Yggy is supposed to be slightly more analytical than Gumby, more precise, but not in a way that is "treble boosted" from what I understand.

Jan 29, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #4,768 of 7,080
I never directly compared them, but I did listen to Yggy last year. There was never a problem with the treble. It was smooth and detailed. Yggy is supposed to be slightly more analytical than Gumby, more precise, but not in a way that is "treble boosted" from what I understand.
Perhaps less mid presence? Gumby is said to be warmer, and I'm guessing it's due to a slight mid boost, or even lower frequencies? You can hear the differences from piano notes for warmth level.

The way the treble is presented for the Yggy, does it sound grainier or thinner?

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #4,769 of 7,080
For those that has compared Gumby to Yggy. Does Yggy sound edgy or a bit treble boosted in comparison?

I had a gumby and then yggy back to back a couple of years go. At that time I felt in no way did the yggy justify a additional 1k . To me the Yggy was also a little bright.
That was before Gen. 5 , new analog board etc. so I have no idea of the current comparison. I recently purchased another Gumby with gen 5 and couldn't be happier.

Jan 29, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #4,770 of 7,080
Perhaps less mid presence? Gumby is said to be warmer, and I'm guessing it's due to a slight mid boost, or even lower frequencies? You can hear the differences from piano notes for warmth level.

The way the treble is presented for the Yggy, does it sound grainier or thinner?

There is nothing "less" about Yggy. It is basically very similar to Gumby, just slightly more refined and more resolution, which makes it seem less "warm". Gumby's warmth comes more from it's more laid back, euphonic nature, slightly less analytical.

I'm wondering why you are so concerned about this? From my experience you will no problems with the Yggy's treble. Your treble "problems" are going to come from headphones/amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

• zexk
Back