Schiit Gungnir DAC
Jan 29, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #4,771 of 7,049
For those that has compared Gumby to Yggy. Does Yggy sound edgy or a bit treble boosted in comparison?

I had both for just over a week together this last November when I was choosing my DAC. My conclusion was that Gumby presented slightly elevated lower mid/bass that could be called (very slightly ) marginally bloomy/warm. What tipped my decision was the Yggy's ability to resolve the treble tone (tonality and texture of hi-hats, rides, ambiance, spatial cues). Gumby seemed to sound a bit rougher in that area. It was most obvious with some modern Jazz/Fusion with intricate drum work.

I think both DACs present similar balance overall and great tonality. I tend to prefer a good spatial sound when I am immersed in music and Yggy stood out for me.

Few notes for reference:
  • I don't think neither Gumby nor Yggy were warmed fully. They were on all the time as much as my time allowed. My Yggy takes 5-7 days for the case-top to reach 100 deg F and few more days to reach the stable 104 deg.
  • Both Gumby and Yggy were Gen5 USB. Yggy was (unknowingly) Analog-2 :)
  • Front end used for comparison consisted of Stax SRS3100 (via unbalanced), HD800/HD600/Focal Clear balanced out of Jot.
  • I'm ok with stock HD800 treble but enjoying it better with SDR and Anaxilus mod (so I'm not treble sensitive as some)
  • Music used were Classical (various Beethoven by Berliner/Wiener Philharmoniker, piano works by Argerich/Uchida/Horowitz, Rampal/Galway Flute concertos, guitar works by Andrew York/Yamashita, etc), Jazz (Metheny, Allan Holdsworth, Fourplay, Hiromi, Coltrane, etc), Acoustic (Michael Hedges, Tommy Emmanuel, Masaaki Kishibe, etc) etc :)

Jan 29, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #4,772 of 7,049
I think the "edgy" comments about Yggy come because the DAC is so resolving.
So, it brings all the other components in the rig under the magnifier.

Especially the amplifier. With a more harsh or cold SS amp, the Yggy could sound brighter.

I heard Yggy #1 with the Rag and the pairing was great.
I also heard Yggy #1 with the Woo Audio 5. That pairing was better.
Why? Perhaps the mellowness of the WA5 tamed the Yggy's brightness just a bit. Both were great, however.

FWIW, I don't hear much uber-brightness from my GMB.
I think it's just right :)

Jan 29, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #4,773 of 7,049
I had both for just over a week together this last November when I was choosing my DAC. My conclusion was that Gumby presented slightly elevated lower mid/bass that could be called (very slightly ) marginally bloomy/warm. What tipped my decision was the Yggy's ability to resolve the treble tone (tonality and texture of hi-hats, rides, ambiance, spatial cues). Gumby seemed to sound a bit rougher in that area. It was most obvious with some modern Jazz/Fusion with intricate drum work.

I think both DACs present similar balance overall and great tonality. I tend to prefer a good spatial sound when I am immersed in music and Yggy stood out for me.

Few notes for reference:
  • I don't think neither Gumby nor Yggy were warmed fully. They were on all the time as much as my time allowed. My Yggy takes 5-7 days for the case-top to reach 100 deg F and few more days to reach the stable 104 deg.
  • Both Gumby and Yggy were Gen5 USB. Yggy was (unknowingly) Analog-2 :)
  • Front end used for comparison consisted of Stax SRS3100 (via unbalanced), HD800/HD600/Focal Clear balanced out of Jot.
  • I'm ok with stock HD800 treble but enjoying it better with SDR and Anaxilus mod (so I'm not treble sensitive as some)
  • Music used were Classical (various Beethoven by Berliner/Wiener Philharmoniker, piano works by Argerich/Uchida/Horowitz, Rampal/Galway Flute concertos, guitar works by Andrew York/Yama****a, etc), Jazz (Metheny, Allan Holdsworth, Fourplay, Hiromi, Coltrane, etc), Acoustic (Michael Hedges, Tommy Emmanuel, Masaaki Kishibe, etc) etc :)
That's a great post, IMO.
Well done, @Ojisan!

Jan 29, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #4,774 of 7,049
That's a great post, IMO.
Well done, @Ojisan!

Thanks! I've learned a bunch here and just trying to give back what I can.

Funny how the name Yamashi-ta was automatically flagged to ****... haha

Jan 30, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #4,775 of 7,049
For sure - the auto-censor feature of this platform is very strong. You have to spell it Schiit. :)
So wondering...do you think the better drum/cymbal resolution could be due to analog #2?

BTW, what a great guitar player Tommy Emmanuel is! He is a CGP - Certified Guitar Player - by Chet Atkins himself.
There are only a handful of CGPs in the world.

Happy Listening!
RCB

Jan 30, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #4,776 of 7,049
For sure - the auto-censor feature of this platform is very strong. You have to spell it Schiit. :)
So wondering...do you think the better drum/cymbal resolution could be due to analog #2?

I don't know. Until the news broke earlier this month, I thought I was listening to the same Yggy as everybody else...

BTW, what a great guitar player Tommy Emmanuel is! He is a CGP - Certified Guitar Player - by Chet Atkins himself.
There are only a handful of CGPs in the world.

Happy Listening!
RCB

Yeah, he puts on great shows too. Awesome music and personality!

Jan 31, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #4,777 of 7,049
I have problem. I have 900€ and i would like to buy dac and i have think of Schiit Bimby or delta-sigma Gungnir. I have to live with it about 2-3 year so which would be better? Good about Gungnir is that i can upgrade when time comes. My amp is Mjolnir 2 and hp will be Sennheiser HD660S.

Jan 31, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #4,780 of 7,049
Well about used ones... Mrs have very bad experience so all we buy is new. And also not meny selling used in europe.

Schiit makes very durable, long lasting products. I don't forsee any problems buying used. I've certainly never had any issues and I've bought alot of their used products.

In the unlikely case something does go wrong, they probably are fine fixing it for a fee. You also have the option of sending a used Gumby in for the Gen5 usb upgrade, and I believe that automatically puts it back into the warranty. But you should email Schiit and ask them.

What I'm saying is, you shouldn't write off used gear because of one bad experience. But of course everything is on a case by case basis. Schiit doesn't make shoddy gear. You will end up saving money in the long run buying used too.

I tend to see quite alot of Euro Schiit gear selling on the classifieds. You also have the option of putting up a WANTED ad for a used Gumby. That's how I got mine.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #4,781 of 7,049
Just got an email from Shiit and my order shipped today! So, will have it sooner than I thought.
How long ago did you place your order? I placed an order for the Gumby about a week and a half ago, but got an email from Schiit yesterday saying that it could be up to a few weeks before my order ships. This is a copy of the email:

Thank you for your order and we are sorry for the delay. The Gungnir is experiencing unexpected production delays. It could be a few weeks before the order is available to ship. We will ship as soon as we can.

Laura Zeman
Schiit Audio
Customer Service

Jan 31, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #4,782 of 7,049
How long ago did you place your order? I placed an order for the Gumby about a week and a half ago, but got an email from Schiit yesterday saying that it could be up to a few weeks before my order ships. This is a copy of the email:

Thank you for your order and we are sorry for the delay. The Gungnir is experiencing unexpected production delays. It could be a few weeks before the order is available to ship. We will ship as soon as we can.

Laura Zeman
Schiit Audio
Customer Service

Same thing here. Had I known there was a production delay I would have waited to place my order because now I'm without a DAC.

Feb 1, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #4,785 of 7,049
I placed my order online 01/23/18 in the AM. I also received the gungnir production delay email.
Wow, I'm surprised that mine hasn't shipped! I placed my order the same day, only it was in the evening. Who knew only a few hours could make such a big difference in shipping times!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back