Schiit Gungnir DAC
Sep 28, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #4,533 of 7,049
Yep, I see that I am alone... But I don't understand why I am the only one that prefere Gen3 over Gen5... And, well, I dont like grit and graininess... And I don't think many people do.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2017 at 5:08 AM Post #4,534 of 7,049
@Globox ... I have the GMB/MJ2 pairing as yourself, apart from the headphones are different and I use an EITR Gen5-USB>S/PDIF, rather than the Gen5-USB upgrade on the GMB. I haven't experienced the 'grain' and 'grit' you describe ... I did hear a dullness on Gen2 before I got the EITR but that has been resolved. Another area I am a great believer in is ensuring a clean as possible mains power, which I achieved by using a Balanced Power Supply. That made a significant difference to the overall SQ.

Sep 28, 2017 at 5:15 AM Post #4,536 of 7,049
Another thought ... what tubes are you using in the MJ2 ?

Sep 28, 2017 at 5:42 AM Post #4,538 of 7,049
I have used LISST as well ... I would describe them as 'grainy' in comparison to good tubes. The stock Schiit tubes you have are better but not perfect. I'm not an obsessive tube-roller, but I have eventually settled on the 5670 family, tho' they do need 5670>6DJ8 converters (on EBay) to work on the MJ2 (the pin layout is different). Specifically I bought a pair of GE 5670W 5* from AskJan in Germany ... they are smooth as silk ! Although any 5670 'W' spec are great.

Sep 28, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #4,540 of 7,049
Yes, the E188CC are good also ... if that doesn't make the problem go away, then I might suggest there may be something wrong with the GMB and contact Schiit for advice.

Oct 2, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #4,541 of 7,049
I bought a Gumby awhile back ... added USB Gen 5 to it. I've had it at work feeding an MJ2. I took the Bimby home to plug into my Mainline. I just reversed the situation ... the Gumby is plugged into the Mainline again. All I can really say is the Gumby is so much more than the Bimby, and it deserves an amp so much more transparent than the Mjolnir 2. The Bimby striped the Mainline of it's beauty, and listening Gumby warmed up and plugged into the Mainline I feel like the MJ2 stripped the Gumby of it beauty. The MJ2 and Gumby may be the same form factor, but they are no of the same class.

I've a Yggy on it's way... Bifrost will be finding a new home... probably the MJ2 will as well... anybody got a suggestion of something that mixes better with the Gumby than the MJ2. I've run it with the LSST and with Telefunken EC88CC/6922. Don't expect anything at the level of the Mainline, just something that isn't as shallow as Paris Hiltons personality.

Oct 7, 2017 at 2:12 AM Post #4,543 of 7,049
Hi guys,

I'm new to the thread here, I've recently taken an interest in the Gumby and possibly Yggdrasil, these 2 DACs got much praise in SBAF but for some reason not as much here (Chord products does), I've been thinking of trying these out due to what I read of the R2R topology being used in the DAC resulting in detail retrieval without any digital glare, etc.

I'll be upgrading from my Chord Mojo to feed the Cavalli Liquid Carbon, the headphones will be The Focal Utopia, any thoughts on the combo are appreciated.

It's been a bit hard to gain information about the DAC and how it compares to other DAC's on the pricerange, so I would like to know more information before making a purchase.

I have also heard many interesting thoughts on this such as warm-up time, spdif output sounding better than USB, clicking sound, etc.

Oct 7, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #4,544 of 7,049
Hi guys,

I'm new to the thread here, I've recently taken an interest in the Gumby and possibly Yggdrasil, these 2 DACs got much praise in SBAF but for some reason not as much here (Chord products does), I've been thinking of trying these out due to what I read of the R2R topology being used in the DAC resulting in detail retrieval without any digital glare, etc.

I'll be upgrading from my Chord Mojo to feed the Cavalli Liquid Carbon, the headphones will be The Focal Utopia, any thoughts on the combo are appreciated.

It's been a bit hard to gain information about the DAC and how it compares to other DAC's on the pricerange, so I would like to know more information before making a purchase.

I have also heard many interesting thoughts on this such as warm-up time, spdif output sounding better than USB, clicking sound, etc.

I own a Chord Mojo and a Gumby (USB Gen 5) the two are not even close. The mojo is a fun u shaped DAC that is way better than what is in my phone or computer but probably more comparable to he magni/modi stack than the Gumby. The Gumby is a master of nuance. The Gumby will feed you air, timbre, imaging, and a sense of realism that I wouldn't imagine the Mojo was ever designed to produce. That's not an insult to the Mojo... I totally love my Mojo... fits great in my backpack and keeps my Ether C Flows happy while I"m on the go. Listening to it right now as a matter of fact. It's just not the Gumby.

I've not heard, but have been curious about the Liquid Carbon. From all my reading I'd guess it's somewhere between the Asgard and the MJ2 - some say a bit better than the later some say worse. I can say that the Gumby outclasses the MJ2 in my opinion. So if you are looking at growing from the LC one day the Gumby will be able to go with you. It's astounding with my Mainline.

Won't be able to speak about the Yggy until next week - when it should arrive to try out with the Mainline... at it's price tag - if its only a little bit better than the Gumby... it'll go back. That kind of money ain't worth incremental improvements.

Would be really nice if Schiit would release the Gumby and Yggy circuits in non-balanced configurations.... cut the cost substantially.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #4,545 of 7,049
I own a Chord Mojo and a Gumby (USB Gen 5) the two are not even close. The mojo is a fun u shaped DAC that is way better than what is in my phone or computer but probably more comparable to he magni/modi stack than the Gumby. The Gumby is a master of nuance. The Gumby will feed you air, timbre, imaging, and a sense of realism that I wouldn't imagine the Mojo was ever designed to produce. That's not an insult to the Mojo... I totally love my Mojo... fits great in my backpack and keeps my Ether C Flows happy while I"m on the go. Listening to it right now as a matter of fact. It's just not the Gumby.

I've not heard, but have been curious about the Liquid Carbon. From all my reading I'd guess it's somewhere between the Asgard and the MJ2 - some say a bit better than the later some say worse. I can say that the Gumby outclasses the MJ2 in my opinion. So if you are looking at growing from the LC one day the Gumby will be able to go with you. It's astounding with my Mainline.

Won't be able to speak about the Yggy until next week - when it should arrive to try out with the Mainline... at it's price tag - if its only a little bit better than the Gumby... it'll go back. That kind of money ain't worth incremental improvements.

Would be really nice if Schiit would release the Gumby and Yggy circuits in non-balanced configurations.... cut the cost substantially.

Yeah, I would imagine so, I find it hard to believe such a small units designed for portable use could beat something designed for best performance without regards of portability.

I would also like to upgrade the LC at one point, however all my HPs are all easy to drive, so upgrading the DAC's first would make sense I think, Violectric V281/280 or maybe it's future upgrades come to mind.

My main headphone right now is The Focal Utopia, with Sony MDR-Z1R and also Meze 99 Classic for portable duty, but I might try it out with the Gumby when I get it.
I listen to Metal and Rock mainly.

The Hugo 2 is talked a lot right now, I wonder how this compares to the Gumby, I do want to get a Desktop DAC and get a DAP for portable duty, the Hugo 2 is too big to carry around anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back