Schiit Gungnir DAC
Sep 13, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #4,516 of 7,049
I linked you to the thread, the page, and the actual post. So, not sure how to help... :rolling_eyes:
We will all be waiting.

Sep 23, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #4,520 of 7,049
Another weird question. I have a Schiit Gungnir currently feeding an Amp and Sound Mogwai from the RCA outputs.

I was wondering if I use an interconnect cable that is 3pin XLR male feeding into the RCA inputs on the Mogwai, would that make the sound better since it's using the balanced inputs on the Gungnir and that's theoretically where the DAC shines? Has anyone tried using different XLR to RCA interconnects and would anyone be able to recommend a specific company?

Or should I just use RCA to RCA like everyone else does?

Sep 23, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #4,521 of 7,049
No it will not. Gumby single ended is just fine. If you want to do it right from XLR outputs you need the Jensen PC-2XR which will use transformers to convert balanced to single ended. I have one but choose not to use it as it takes away some of the low end (subtle but there).

Sep 23, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #4,522 of 7,049
No it will not. Gumby single ended is just fine. If you want to do it right from XLR outputs you need the Jensen PC-2XR which will use transformers to convert balanced to single ended. I have one but choose not to use it as it takes away some of the low end (subtle but there).

Thanks for the quick answer, sounds more complicated than it's worth and more expensive for no real change in sound output. Sounds like it's best to just get RCA interconnect cables. Which would you recommend? I hear Anticables is pretty good but there are some interesting choices on Ebay with OCC litz interconnect RCA plugs but they use some different type of RCA plug called Gaofei. Not sure if it's reputable.

Sep 23, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #4,523 of 7,049
I keep it simple with good quality cables from BlueJeansCables or Pangea depending on taste and system. I find BJCables more neutral maybe mid focused, and Pangea cables to have slightly better depth and more air, which might be too fatiguing depending on associated gear.

Sep 23, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #4,524 of 7,049
I have used both the RCA and the XLR balanced outputs on my Gumby in many configurations and I have never noticed any audible difference, nor should there be. I'll let an electrical engineer explain that last phrase.

Sep 23, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #4,525 of 7,049
IME balanced out seems to have a positive effect on certain headphones ... in my case the Senn HD-650 ... they seem to like the extra power which lifts their 'veil'.

Sep 23, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #4,526 of 7,049
My Gumby in connected to 3 amps: a stax via xlr, a norma revo ipa 140 via rca and an euphya alliance 280 via the second rca.
My question is: is it ok to use all the tree connections or it could affect the sound quality?

Sep 23, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #4,527 of 7,049
Another weird question. I have a Schiit Gungnir currently feeding an Amp and Sound Mogwai from the RCA outputs.
I was wondering if I use an interconnect cable that is 3pin XLR male feeding into the RCA inputs on the Mogwai, would that make the sound better since it's using the balanced inputs on the Gungnir and that's theoretically where the DAC shines? Has anyone tried using different XLR to RCA interconnects and would anyone be able to recommend a specific company?
Or should I just use RCA to RCA like everyone else does?
the gungnir is a native balanced dac , the RCA out have on more stage that merge the signal - 0 + to 0 + not big problem is a jfet stage not opamp...use what you have at the preamp input

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #4,528 of 7,049
I had my Gumby upgraded with Gen5 USB. I was wondering if the wyrd is still usefull !? I tried with and without, I can't really fell any difference so far. Did anyone try with and without and had differences ? What were them ?
Thanks y'all

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #4,529 of 7,049
I had my Gumby upgraded with Gen5 USB. I was wondering if the wyrd is still usefull !? I tried with and without, I can't really fell any difference so far. Did anyone try with and without and had differences ? What were them ?
Thanks y'all

The Wyrd is not needed any longer. Complete electrostatic and electromagnetic isolation is a feature of Gen5 USB.

Sep 27, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #4,530 of 7,049
Thanks y'all

The wyrd was there to clean the power coming through the USB cable. Pre Gen 5 the USB portion of the DAC was powered by your computer or DAP via the USB cable in much the same was a mouse is on your computer. The USB input in Gen 5 is powered from the linear power supply within the DAC itself. Wyrd will have no impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back