Schiit Gungnir DAC
Feb 15, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #3,271 of 7,093
Go buy the Gumby = 95% SQ if the Yggy, smaller Footprint, more euphonic sounding - fantastic price to value ratio.
Most people would't not know the difference between the two DACS if somebody were to  sneak into their house and swap one for the other.

If you you already buy "the best" where will go from there ….
So you still can dream of having something better one day. 
:evil:

I completely disagree . I had the Gumby and Yggy on the same system for months . While the Gumby is very good , it is not at the Yggy level . I won't put a % on it but it is worth the 1 k additional cost . I sold my Gumby for another Yggy I felt so strong about it .

Feb 15, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #3,273 of 7,093
I completely disagree . I had the Gumby and Yggy on the same system for months . While the Gumby is very good , it is not at the Yggy level . I won't put a % on it but it is worth the 1 k additional cost . I sold my Gumby for another Yggy I felt so strong about it .

Feel free to disagree.  I think differences in DACs are not as big as people would want to believe. I'd rather spend the 1K on better Headphones  or a better Amp. Would make make much more of a difference and sense.  Or go and buy a turntable! 
atsmile.gif

Feb 15, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #3,276 of 7,093

Feel free to disagree.  I think differences in DACs are not as big as people would want to believe. I'd rather spend the 1K on better Headphones  or a better Amp. Would make make much more of a difference and sense.  Or go and buy a turntable! 
atsmile.gif

It depends on how resolving your equipment is . With Genelec monitors I could tell that the Yggy was a better dac than the Gumby which I also like a lot. 

Oh, I won't be buying a turntable in my lifetime . 

Feb 15, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #3,277 of 7,093

It depends on how resolving your equipment is . With Genelec monitors I could tell that the Yggy was a better dac than the Gumby which I also like a lot. 

Oh, I won't be buying a turntable in my lifetime . 

I am not saying that the Yggy isn't better then the Gumby in certain areas. What I am saying is that it doesn't matter. Like they are going to send the Resolution-Police over - or what! 

Ad Resonessence Labs Concero HD - no thank you - I'd rather stick a needle in my eye! LOL

Feb 15, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #3,278 of 7,093
I am not saying that the Yggy isn't better then the Gumby in certain areas. What I am saying is that it doesn't matter. Like they are going to send the Resolution-Police over - or what! 

Ad Resonessence Labs Concero HD - no thank you - I'd rather stick a needle in my eye! LOL
Be my guest with that needle. Lighten up bro.

Feb 15, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #3,280 of 7,093
Never heard of [COLOR=222222]i·ro·ny??[/COLOR]
I am stalking this thread. Approximately 2 months away from a gungnir multibit. Since you obvously know each DAC well, and I already know which one you prefer, could you please explain to me why you like the gumby? I find the Concero HD to be the hands down the most accurate and resolving DAC I have owned. Really otherwordly on DSD too. I wholeheartedly agree with your rationale for purchasing an gungnir over the yaggdrasil. It's again another "law of diminishing returns" scenario as far as I am concerned. Is the MB much better than the delta sigma version?

Feb 15, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #3,281 of 7,093
I am stalking this thread. Approximately 2 months away from a gungnir multibit. Since you obvously know each DAC well, and I already know which one you prefer, could you please explain to me why you like the gumby? I find the Concero HD to be the hands down the most accurate and resolving DAC I have owned. Really otherwordly on DSD too. I wholeheartedly agree with your rationale for purchasing an gungnir over the yaggdrasil. It's again another "law of diminishing returns" scenario as far as I am concerned. Is the MB much better than the delta sigma version?

I think it's got something to do with the 3d, almost holographic, presentation of Multibit DACs that I like. Even the Multibit Bifrost has this, so it's not necessarily  correlating to resolution. 
Again, if you are happy with the Concero HD,  save the money and get better Amp/Headphone (They guys from InnerFidelity like the Concero very much!)
At a certain level it is: Transducer>Amp>DAC with regards to influence on SoundQuality.

The only  Problem is that Yggy and Gumby take about a week to properly warm up to sound their best and my Gumby just came back from repair ;-(

Feb 15, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #3,282 of 7,093

I'm kind of in the same situation. I have a concero HD, and so far, I love the thing. It's wiped out the silly soundcards I was using before. BUT...I'm really interested in hearing/owning a yggi now. Just saving for it for now. I'm wondering just how much better it would be (than the concero). Would it be night and day? Heck, does the gumby sound better than the concero? Lots of questions.

Knowing how I am, I can see myself getting a yggi. That's what I've got my heart set on now.

Feb 15, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #3,283 of 7,093
I think it's got something to do with the 3d, almost holographic, presentation of Multibit DACs that I like. Even the Multibit Bifrost has this, so it's not necessarily  correlating to resolution. 
Again, if you are happy with the Concero HD,  save the money and get better Amp/Headphone (They guys from InnerFidelity like the Concero very much!)
At a certain level it is: Transducer>Amp>DAC with regards to influence on SoundQuality.

The only  Problem is that Yggy and Gumby take about a week to properly warm up to sound their best and my Gumby just came back from repair ;-(
My Bryston BHA-1 is my end game amp. Neutral and natural. Using the Beyerdynamic T1.2s now, which I am satisfied with but do know the planars in general could sound better. I am really torn about the gumby MB though. Knowing me I suspect I will give it a go.

Feb 15, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #3,284 of 7,093
I'm kind of in the same situation. I have a concero HD, and so far, I love the thing. It's wiped out the silly soundcards I was using before. BUT...I'm really interested in hearing/owning a yggi now. Just saving for it for now. I'm wondering just how much better it would be (than the concero). Would it be night and day? Heck, does the gumby sound better than the concero? Lots of questions.

Knowing how I am, I can see myself getting a yggi. That's what I've got my heart set on now.
Haha. Such a dilema we are in. One thing I know for sure is I will never part ways with my Concero HD. Especially since the software is always upgradable via FPGA and it has the DSD/DXD capability. Gumby MB will have to be very special to best that little black box.

Feb 15, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #3,285 of 7,093
Ugh a week of burn in? I unfortunately can only use my Gumby on the weekends as its home and I'm up at school all week. It'll be interesting to see the sound change over the course of what I guess will be a month @_@

Users who are viewing this thread

Back