Schiit Gungnir DAC
Feb 15, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #3,287 of 7,161
It's more of a warm-up then a burn in. Best not to switch the thing off!

Ah I wouldn't trust it without me home or at least not without me home for a few days. Plus my room gets really warm and the Gungnir seems to run hot, just like every other Schiit product lol.

Feb 15, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #3,288 of 7,161
I'm attracted to the visual symmetry of GMB and MJ2, but I think I'm going to get a multifrost short term and then go straight for the Yggy when money permits...GMB seems great, but I'd rather go all-in.

Feb 15, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #3,289 of 7,161
It's more of a warm-up then a burn in. Best not to switch the thing off!

Ah I wouldn't trust it without me home or at least not without me home for a few days. Plus my room gets really warm and the Gungnir seems to run hot, just like every other Schiit product lol.

Where did you get the idea that Schiit DACs run hot? The amps do, but the Modi and Bifrost I own stay at about room temp. I was under the impression that the Gungnir and Yggdrasil are about the same.

Feb 15, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #3,290 of 7,161
  I'm attracted to the visual symmetry of GMB and MJ2, but I think I'm going to get a multifrost short term and then go straight for the Yggy when money permits...GMB seems great, but I'd rather go all-in.

I am also attracted (from all the pics on Schiit's site and press) to the symmetry of GMB and MJ2, aesthetically I think both looks the best in the whole Schiit lineup. They are the only ones that have the width to look the business without being overly tall and thick and heavy like the Yggy/Rag. The Yggy / Rag simply looks like an old XBOX to me, or an alienware computer. The GMB and MJ2 looks sleek when stacked together and seems to have matching dimensions and thickness. 

However, the logical side of my brain tells me this is the wrong aspect to be focusing on. That SQ should come first and I should go for end game Yggy/Rag and not leave myself wondering what could have been, but I also favor the MJ2 over the Rag at this time because I don't have to drive speakers, and I do like the versatility of MJ2 as a hybrid tube / Solid State amp. And if I get the MJ2, I feel that I should pair it with its natural partner: the GMB... 

Of course there are reports of the GMB sounding 90-95% of the Yggy while being even more euphonic and warm and musical, which is something I like over sheer analytical power, and that seems to be pushing me over the edge ... until I also come across posts that say the Yggy is definitely more resolving and detailed, and I am back to being indecisive. 

The worst thing is I have no chance to hear any Schiit being overseas so I am buying blind here, really hope that with whatever I choose I would not have regrets. 

Feb 15, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #3,291 of 7,161
Where did you get the idea that Schiit DACs run hot? The amps do, but the Modi and Bifrost I own stay at about room temp. I was under the impression that the Gungnir and Yggdrasil are about the same.

By feeling it? Now it may be exasperated by the Lyr 2 writing on top of it but its definitely way warmer than my D1.

Feb 16, 2016 at 6:46 AM Post #3,293 of 7,161

My Gumby runs between 90 F and 100 F measured using one of those IR thermometers. Definitely not room temperature, but not that hot, either. Ygg is in a much larger case. The Ygg thread has some thermal data in it...somewhere.

Feb 16, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #3,294 of 7,161
My Gumby runs between 90 F and 100 F measured using one of those IR thermometers. Definitely not room temperature, but not that hot, either. Ygg is in a much larger case. The Ygg thread has some thermal data in it...somewhere.

I'd say that's about where mine floats too if I had to estimate. It's not as hot as the Lyr that is for sure. The knob on the Lyr gets uncomfortable to touch after awhile lol.

Feb 16, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #3,295 of 7,161
I'd say that's about where mine floats too if I had to estimate. It's not as hot as the Lyr that is for sure. The knob on the Lyr gets uncomfortable to touch after awhile lol.

If Gumby runs warm... Zana Deux is on fire. During warm up and also cool down, the 6C33C-B tubes actually make popping noises from the glass expanding and contracting. 
basshead.gif

Feb 18, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #3,296 of 7,161
My Gumby is barely even warm. Right now it is in fact cool, and I haven't unplugged it in two months...

I wonder if something is wrong with my power now.

Feb 18, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #3,299 of 7,161

B-Dawk20  is that the Prism sound Lyr-2 you have?   How do you think it compares to the Gumby?  I just received the Gumby MB and am hesitant to state an impression w/ only a few hours on it.   I am hoping "Burn in" will change things.

Feb 18, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #3,300 of 7,161
B-Dawk20  is that the Prism sound Lyr-2 you have?   How do you think it compares to the Gumby?  I just received the Gumby MB and am hesitant to state an impression w/ only a few hours on it.   I am hoping "Burn in" will change things.

Nope, I have the Schiit Lyr 2 amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back