Schiit Gungnir DAC
Feb 18, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #3,302 of 7,161
  B-Dawk20  is that the Prism sound Lyr-2 you have?   How do you think it compares to the Gumby?  I just received the Gumby MB and am hesitant to state an impression w/ only a few hours on it.   I am hoping "Burn in" will change things.

Give it a few days. The sound changes quite a bit. It's on the treble harsh side in the beginning - mellows out a lot and the imaging improves ...

Feb 19, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #3,304 of 7,161
Here a thermal pic I managed to get of my gungnir mb above my nad (both on)

Feb 20, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #3,308 of 7,161
Not to totally hijack this thread but I just returned from holiday to my wonderful Gumby/M2 combo and was wondering about aiming I know this group is knowledgable about.

Let the hijack begin...I have been reading posts by baldr for some time now regarding anomalies found in the time domain on some DACs. While in California, it came to me while listening to my iPhone 6 Plus with my Momentums near the pool about identifying these anomalies.

Here's my question (I searched the threads but couldn't identify a good answer...admittedly, I may have missed it), how does one identify these time domain problems when listening to digital music?

Any help is appreciated!

Feb 23, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #3,312 of 7,161
  Did anyone make the mistake of ordering the wrong voltage like me?? 
What did you guys do to fix the problem? 

Contact Schiit.

No, I did not make that mistake. And there are no user-serviceable parts. You will need to work out an exchange through Schiit.

Feb 23, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #3,313 of 7,161
Good thing you live in the US I assume and it just didn't blow up lol.

Feb 23, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #3,314 of 7,161
you can buy an external voltage transformer and keep using your dac, but usually those things are bulky and rather smelly in the first days of use. 

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #3,315 of 7,161
you can buy an external voltage transformer and keep using your dac, but usually those things are bulky and rather smelly in the first days of use. 

So Gumby works on 50 and 60 Hz? The reason I ask is because I recommended going the step up or step down transformer route to others and never got a clear answer if it is built to work at either frequency...

I would recommend to ask Schiit about this. I imagine it's fine, as the AC is probably just going through a full wave bridge rectifier anyway and charging up a DC bus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back