Schiit Gungnir DAC
Nov 24, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #2,971 of 7,049
Just curious... has anyone compared the Gumby with a Geek Pulse Infinity (EDIT - an Xfi would suffice too
biggrin.gif
)?

Nov 30, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #2,972 of 7,049
What would you recommend: better streamer or better dac?

Bimby + Auralic Aries Femto (better)

or

Gimby + Auralic Aries LE (lower model)

I would use them in a STAX setup with fully balanced amps (RCA+XLR input)

(...and dont say Gimby+ Femto !  :)

Dec 1, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #2,973 of 7,049
  What would you recommend: better streamer or better dac?

Better DAC, for sure. If the DAC's digital input stages are well designed, they should provide good insulation from clocking issues or analog RF interference from the source. I have a really cheap streamer (CuBox-i with Volumio open-source streamer software) that I have tried direct USB to a Bimby and to a Bel Canto C7R. If I play close attention I may detect subtle differences between that direct connection and one via a Bel Canto mLink and a Nordost S/PDIF cable, but it could be placebo effect. In comparison, the difference between the Bimby and its Buber predecessor is *very* noticeable. Same with a 4x more expensive streamer, the now discontinued SOtM sMS-100. Honestly, I have a lot of difficulty believing all the hyperbole about multi-k$ streamers, but that's maybe because I'm a mere computer scientist who has worked with digital devices since the days of discrete transistor gates and core memory.

Dec 3, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #2,975 of 7,049

can you provide more info about your system?  my experience with schiit products is completely different -- for me, they've done an excellent job of faithfully re-producing the essence of recordings.

I agree and can't think of another Audio company other than Magnepan (if you love planar speakers like I do) that offers as much for the money as Schiit Audio. On top of that, Schiit Audio doesn't hype their products, they'll tell you what it is, what parts are used and the basic circuit design, but never say it's better than this or than.  

Dec 3, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #2,976 of 7,049
Guys, I've deleted a bunch of posts. Please don't reply to thread-crapping in the future, but either ignore it or ignore it and report it. 

beerchug.gif

Dec 6, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #2,977 of 7,049
I just got a gumby and hope to have some time this week to listen to it. (Well I had my gungnir upgraded to multibit, and just got it this weekend. Just too many chores to get done for the holiday season. :frowning2: )

Dec 6, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #2,978 of 7,049
Would the GMB benefit any from something like the iFi Micro iUSB 3? I know they also make their own Wyrd and the GMB has "Adapticlock" built in for regeneration. I didn't know if iFi's version (REclock/REgenerate/REbalance) would interfere with the GMB's processes (digitally altering the signal somehow before the GMB had a chance to do its R2R magic)?

Dec 7, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #2,980 of 7,049
In Russia you can buy secondhand M51 almost new, for 50k rub. It's about 735 bucks.

1) http://forum.doctorhead.ru/index.php?app=classifieds&module=core&do=view_item&item_id=14021
2) http://forum.doctorhead.ru/index.php?app=classifieds&module=core&do=view_item&item_id=14911

I'm just trying to say, that people not rely happy with their Nad...

Dec 7, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #2,981 of 7,049
In Russia you can buy secondhand M51 almost new, for 50k rub. It's about 735 bucks.

1) http://forum.doctorhead.ru/index.php?app=classifieds&module=core&do=view_item&item_id=14021
2) http://forum.doctorhead.ru/index.php?app=classifieds&module=core&do=view_item&item_id=14911

I'm just trying to say, that people not rely happy with their Nad...

Here in nz you can buy a new one for 1k usd... I'd say it's kinda a normal/good price for a used unit.

Dec 8, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #2,982 of 7,049
My Gungnir MB is arriving tomorrow but I am wondering, do most people here leave it on like the Yggy? I'm kind of worried about the power consumption costs though I don't think it'll be that much at the same time... 
confused_face_2.gif

Dec 8, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #2,983 of 7,049
My Gungnir MB is arriving tomorrow but I am wondering, do most people here leave it on like the Yggy? I'm kind of worried about the power consumption costs though I don't think it'll be that much at the same time... :confused_face_2:

Yes I leave my Gumby on all the time, like I do my Yggdrasil. I only turn my dacs off, during thunder storms.

Dec 8, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #2,984 of 7,049
  My Gungnir MB is arriving tomorrow but I am wondering, do most people here leave it on like the Yggy? I'm kind of worried about the power consumption costs though I don't think it'll be that much at the same time... 
confused_face_2.gif

I think I read a comment once from Baldr or Jason that they wouldn't even put a power switch on their dacs except they have to for UL certification or some regulatory compliance issue. I believe some of the old Thetas didn't have power switches, but that was 20+ years ago. The point is that if you have any Schiit dac, leave it on all the time.

Dec 8, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #2,985 of 7,049
confused_face_2.gif

i leave mine on all of the time, too.  it consumes 20w of power so costs less than $20 per year to leave it on all of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back