Schiit Gungnir DAC
Aug 21, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #2,056 of 7,068
Nice :beerchug:

Looks like you have socket savers in the MJ2???

Correct. Makes tube rolling MUCH easier and keeps the tubes cooler.

Aug 21, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #2,058 of 7,068
  Now I finally got the Gungnir MB but it won't work with my Macbook. My decade-old PC does find it, but whatever I do on my Mac, it won't recognize the Gungnir. The Schiit support says to do an SMC reset and to use an externally powered USB hub, but all that doesn't seem to work. This is the first time I ever had problems with a DAC though. Has anyone else had similar problems and managed to resolve it? 

A few preliminary support questions: 

1. What playback/media program are you using with your Macbook? 

2. When you say that it won't work, is it visible at all in System Preferences > Sound? It should show up as "Speaker-Schiit USB Audio Device".

3. Do you have the proper input selected via the input select button on the front of the unit? Sometimes it gets bumped to one of the other inputs on accident. 

Aug 21, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #2,059 of 7,068
I did notice that my GMB was clicking a bit when I used a front-port on my PC.  Moving to a back port (directly connected to MB) cleared it up.  Thing is, my Audio-GD DAC's worked fine in the same port.  The GMB seems to be a bit more sensitive to USB noise than my other DAC's.

Not sure how this relates to the problem with the Mac (I'm using Win 7) but some food for thought.

Aug 21, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #2,060 of 7,068
Now I finally got the Gungnir MB but it won't work with my Macbook. My decade-old PC does find it, but whatever I do on my Mac, it won't recognize the Gungnir. The Schiit support says to do an SMC reset and to use an externally powered USB hub, but all that doesn't seem to work. This is the first time I ever had problems with a DAC though. Has anyone else had similar problems and managed to resolve it? 

Have you tried both USB ports? My left MBPro port stoppen working with my DAC recently... .

Aug 21, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #2,061 of 7,068
My mac works just fine with the Gungnir MULTIBIT.

Aug 21, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #2,062 of 7,068

Have you tried both USB ports? My left MBPro port stoppen working with my DAC recently... .

What BDM-Fi said could be accurate for you, Puzzles. My "top" USB port doesn't work with USB DACs for whatever reason, but the "bottom" works no issue. I have an older mid-2012 MBP and the one slot stopped recognizing audio devices several months ago. It still recognizes USB memory cards and external drives, so it's not a bad port. Maybe you are having a similar issue.

Aug 21, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #2,063 of 7,068

A few preliminary support questions: 

1. What playback/media program are you using with your Macbook? 

2. When you say that it won't work, is it visible at all in System Preferences > Sound? It should show up as "Speaker-Schiit USB Audio Device".

3. Do you have the proper input selected via the input select button on the front of the unit? Sometimes it gets bumped to one of the other inputs on accident. 

1. Amarra, but it doens't find the GMB either.
2. Nope, it doesn't turn up there. 
3. Yes. I've even tried all other modes.

What BDM-Fi said could be accurate for you, Puzzles. My "top" USB port doesn't work with USB DACs for whatever reason, but the "bottom" works no issue. I have an older mid-2012 MBP and the one slot stopped recognizing audio devices several months ago. It still recognizes USB memory cards and external drives, so it's not a bad port. Maybe you are having a similar issue.

I've tried both ports. Nothing. But they do work with my other DACs.

Since the GMB does appear in Windows (however that worked out), there might be actually a problem with my Macbook. But it's clear at whom those guys at the genius bar will be pointing to when I say that all USB devices work fine except the Gungnir.

Aug 21, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #2,064 of 7,068
Pretty sure that Schitt re-programmed the USB card inside the GMB so it can communicate what bit rates it supports to Mac OS. This was something I was wondering myself - does the new GMB still display 24/192 like the old model or does R2R DACs display something completely different? I am a little worried too that something may not work without a driver in Mac OS.

Everything works for me with my Mac. No issues at all.

Aug 21, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #2,065 of 7,068

1. Amarra, but it doens't find the GMB either.
2. Nope, it doesn't turn up there. 
3. Yes. I've even tried all other modes.

Hmmmmmm. Well, that rules out my next chain of inquiry (checking the Audio MIDI settings to make sure nothing is muted). As far as pickles go this one's a dilly. 

Aug 21, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #2,066 of 7,068
If you look in System Information (click on the Apple logo on the upper left corner, select About This Mac, and then click on System Report in the window that pops up), click on USB in the left column in the Hardware section, can you find the Gungnir or more likely some kind of unrecognized USB device in the USB tree on the right column?

Aug 21, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #2,067 of 7,068
I had lot's of trouble with the GMB during the driver install. (I fix pc's for a living so I do know my way around windows)  I have windows 10 on a new custom pc. Downloaded the driver from the Schiit site and I've never had any trouble with any of the Schiit dacs or any dacs for that matter with regard to driver installs. 

The first three times the software would call for the dac to be connected but would not recognize when I did. Restarted the pc and tried again. This time the installation completed so I thought I was good. But when I cued up some music with jriver it started and then froze. Had to manually shut the pc down. Then I had to install the driver in compatibility mode and all seems to be working. 

This GMB does not get as hot as the original. Can't explain why...

Aug 22, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #2,068 of 7,068
  I had lot's of trouble with the GMB during the driver install. (I fix pc's for a living so I do know my way around windows)  I have windows 10 on a new custom pc. Downloaded the driver from the Schiit site and I've never had any trouble with any of the Schiit dacs or any dacs for that matter with regard to driver installs. 

The first three times the software would call for the dac to be connected but would not recognize when I did. Restarted the pc and tried again. This time the installation completed so I thought I was good. But when I cued up some music with jriver it started and then froze. Had to manually shut the pc down. Then I had to install the driver in compatibility mode and all seems to be working. 

Hopefully you were "just" unlucky" with the installment....But this is the only good thing about living i europe and having to wait longer for the possibility of an upgrade - You guys get to try the GMB first but you also have to deal with the problems....and help find the solutions.

The delta-sigma Gungnir gets quite hot for my taste....so thats good news

Aug 22, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #2,069 of 7,068
This is an issue more an issue with Windows 10. The Gungnir and Gungnir Multi-Bit use the same USB card and same drivers.

If you are looking for a painless system I would recommend against Windows 10. It's too new and is so far not 100% reliable.

Quote:
  Hopefully you were "just" unlucky" with the installment....But this is the only good thing about living i europe and having to wait longer for the possibility of an upgrade - You guys get to try the GMB first but you also have to deal with the problems....and help find the solutions.

The delta-sigma Gungnir gets quite hot for my taste....so thats good news

Aug 22, 2015 at 2:54 AM Post #2,070 of 7,068
I will keep my win 7 then 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back