Schiit Gungnir DAC
Nov 8, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #707 of 7,100
To clarify - a toslink cable with a 1/8" male connector on one end that will fit into your mac's headphone jack
and the other end with the squarish male plug that fits into the jack on the backside of the DAC.

Nov 8, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #708 of 7,100
Quote:
To clarify - a toslink cable with a 1/8" male connector on one end that will fit into your mac's headphone jack
and the other end with the squarish male plug that fits into the jack on the backside of the DAC.

Sorry, yea, you'll just want toslink to miniplug (toslink).

Or a toslink cable and then a toslink 3.5mm mini adapter.

Nov 9, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #710 of 7,100
Do you guys know if there is a location in the PNW where someone can listen to Schiit amps / dacs? 

You should really trial one in your home. I dont think you will beable to appreciate the subtitles that such equipment offers until/unless you swap component 'A' for component 'B'. Too many other variables in listening to a piece in an entirely different system.

I know, I hate to send stuff back as well! The only piece of equipment that I had to send back was a Musical Fidelity V-DAC. The original. Just couldnt like it.

Nov 9, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #711 of 7,100
Hi guys .. first post. 

I've been considering an upgrade recently and found this thread after searching for info on the Gungnir. I've been a happy Bifrost user for almost a year now but wondered if the Gungnir would be a significant enough upgrade to warrant the expense. After reading the entire thread I thought I'd briefly share my experience with the screeching issue. I'd say it started about a month after I took delivery of the Bifrost. I exchanged emails with Schiit, Jason actually (to my surprise). Simply changing ports seemed to solve the problem for me although it would still occasionally happen. I haven't thought of this in a while because in the meantime I purchased a SOtM converter, loved what it has added to the equation, and haven't used the Bifrost USB connection since.

What struck me as I read this thread was the idea that the screeching issue might be also cable related. I say this because I experienced screeching with my Tranquility DAC as well. The cable I was using at that time (and no longer use) was the Essential USB Cable. I used this cable when I first purchased the Bifrost as well. I no longer use it simply because I felt it was too heavy and rigid. It seemed to stress the ports .. perhaps it didn't, I just didn't like it for that reason. Even more important, there was no change in SQ in my system with it either. I've also swapped the Tranquility for the Bifrost several times & used a generic USB cable without issue. 

So what does this mean to me? Seems this screeching could have something to do with the cable. I'm not an engineer so it's beyond me. My experience does show the issue in 2 different DACs from 2 different manufacturers so unless they use the same boards ...

For the record, I think dB Audio Labs make some excellent products and intend on keeping my Tranquility well into the future. I do like a NOS DAC. 

Here's my gear:

Mac Mini 2010 using Audirvana Plus
Bifrost w/USB
SOtM dX-USB HD converter
SOtM mBPS-d2s battery ps
Odyssey Cyclops Extreme/SE Integrated (w/ps upgrade)
Mark & Daniel Ruby loudspeakers
Better Cables ICs and speaker cables
Monster coax cable
generic USB cable

Nov 10, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #713 of 7,100
Quote:
Hi guys .. first post. 

I've been considering an upgrade recently and found this thread after searching for info on the Gungnir. I've been a happy Bifrost user for almost a year now but wondered if the Gungnir would be a significant enough upgrade to warrant the expense. After reading the entire thread I thought I'd briefly share my experience with the screeching issue. I'd say it started about a month after I took delivery of the Bifrost. I exchanged emails with Schiit, Jason actually (to my surprise). Simply changing ports seemed to solve the problem for me although it would still occasionally happen. I haven't thought of this in a while because in the meantime I purchased a SOtM converter, loved what it has added to the equation, and haven't used the Bifrost USB connection since.

What struck me as I read this thread was the idea that the screeching issue might be also cable related. I say this because I experienced screeching with my Tranquility DAC as well. The cable I was using at that time (and no longer use) was the Essential USB Cable. I used this cable when I first purchased the Bifrost as well. I no longer use it simply because I felt it was too heavy and rigid. It seemed to stress the ports .. perhaps it didn't, I just didn't like it for that reason. Even more important, there was no change in SQ in my system with it either. I've also swapped the Tranquility for the Bifrost several times & used a generic USB cable without issue. 

So what does this mean to me? Seems this screeching could have something to do with the cable. I'm not an engineer so it's beyond me. My experience does show the issue in 2 different DACs from 2 different manufacturers so unless they use the same boards ...

For the record, I think dB Audio Labs make some excellent products and intend on keeping my Tranquility well into the future. I do like a NOS DAC. 

Here's my gear:

Mac Mini 2010 using Audirvana Plus
Bifrost w/USB
SOtM dX-USB HD converter
SOtM mBPS-d2s battery ps
Odyssey Cyclops Extreme/SE Integrated (w/ps upgrade)
Mark & Daniel Ruby loudspeakers
Better Cables ICs and speaker cables
Monster coax cable
generic USB cable

I switched form a heavy "audiophile" USB cable to a generic cable about 3 weeks ago. This morning, the screech returned. I tend to doubt it's the cable. I'd used the previous cable for several months with a different DAC without any incident. I've emailed Schiit for an RMA number to get the USB board swapped out.

This is a very difficult issue to troubleshoot or isolate because it is so intermittent. I can go weeks without it screeching. Then it can happen several times within an hour. When the Gungnir behaves, I love the SQ. When it doesn't, it feels like someone is jabbing an icepick in my ear. I sure hope they are able to uncover the root cause.

Nov 11, 2012 at 6:25 AM Post #714 of 7,100
Quote:

I switched form a heavy "audiophile" USB cable to a generic cable about 3 weeks ago. This morning, the screech returned. I tend to doubt it's the cable. I'd used the previous cable for several months with a different DAC without any incident. I've emailed Schiit for an RMA number to get the USB board swapped out.

This is a very difficult issue to troubleshoot or isolate because it is so intermittent. I can go weeks without it screeching. Then it can happen several times within an hour. When the Gungnir behaves, I love the SQ. When it doesn't, it feels like someone is jabbing an icepick in my ear. I sure hope they are able to uncover the root cause.

Interesting .. makes me wonder (again) if it's one of the USB ports on my Mac Mini.

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #715 of 7,100
Quote:
Interesting .. makes me wonder (again) if it's one of the USB ports on my Mac Mini.

It is considered a best practice to have a USB DAC on its own high-speed bus. It should not be shared with other devices, esp. hard drives.

To verify this on a Mac, hold down the Option key, click on the Apple logo in the upper-left corner of the screen, and select "System Information..." Then select "USB" in the left column. If your DAC is turned on, it should show up. I've attached a screen shot from my Mac Pro as an example. 

Based solely on my personal experience (your mileage may vary), the root cause of the "screech" issue lies within the Schiit USB board. But,again, that's just me...

Nov 11, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #717 of 7,100
It is considered a best practice to have a USB DAC on its own high-speed bus. It should not be shared with other devices, esp. hard drives.

To verify this on a Mac, hold down the Option key, click on the Apple logo in the upper-left corner of the screen, and select "System Information..." Then select "USB" in the left column. If your DAC is turned on, it should show up. I've attached a screen shot from my Mac Pro as an example. 

Based solely on my personal experience (your mileage may vary), the root cause of the "screech" issue lies within the Schiit USB board. But,again, that's just me...

[ATTACHMENT=226]sys_info.jpg (47k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

That makes a lot of sense. I guess the same would hold true for a PC. My question would be, on a Windows laptop, are all the USB ports shared?

Nov 11, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #719 of 7,100
Quote:

It is a good practice and I've done so for the past couple of years.

Nov 26, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #720 of 7,100

before i go and buy the toslink cable is this the toslink cable on my pc.
i'm thinkin of switching my order from the usb one to the non usb . cause i keep hearing bad things about the usb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back