Schiit Gungnir DAC
Nov 10, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #6,436 of 7,050
This sums up very well why I don't think the "upgrade merry go 'round" is a bad thing. Whenever anyone starts a hobby, any hobby, I think he should "start small" and grow into the hobby. That's what entry level gear is for. My other hobby is amateur astronomy, another pursuit which has expensive gear available. Lots of new comers post questions in forums about, "which telescope should I buy", or "is this eye piece better than that eye piece". There is plenty of hyperbole in optical gear reviews as well. My recommendations always start with goals-type questions: what to you like looking at the most? Do you like wide views of big pieces of the sky, or do you like zooming in for a close look at one thing? Are you willing to take a half hour to set up gear when you want to observe, or do you want something to grab and go? There are dozens more questions. The right answers come with experience and trying different gear and figuring out what you like. Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

What really blows people away is when you remind them what they like today may change tomorrow and then they'll want different gear to serve those needs. Y
Yup lots of hobbies, when the kids came most of them went bye. They are grown and I've added a few but not the same. We who can afford hobbies and trips are fortunate because lots of people are living day to day that's why I spend 15-20 hours a week giving time to troubled children. No Saint and no guilt to spread, just a choice to give back.

Wish you all a nice day.

Nov 10, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #6,437 of 7,050
Yup lots of hobbies, when the kids came most of them went bye. They are grown and I've added a few but not the same. We who can afford hobbies and trips are fortunate because lots of people are living day to day that's why I spend 15-20 hours a week giving time to troubled children. No Saint and no guilt to spread, just a choice to give back.

Wish you all a nice day.
Yup. Those amps? Early mid-life crisis purchase the year before my daughter was born because I knew it would be decades before I could justify that kind of purchase again. Lots of prior experience went into that buying decision, though, so it's been a good buy. Those "new" speakers? Purchased so I could reclaim floor space in our family room from the Apogee ribbons (with subwoofers) which preceded them, so I would have more room to play with our young kids. My 2-channel tube pre-amp? Sold for a multi-channel pre-pro, because the kids wanted surround sound.

I'm getting close to where you are and looking for places to provide the time and energy our kids won't be using anymore to other who would benefit.

Nov 10, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #6,438 of 7,050
Yup. Those amps? Early mid-life crisis purchase the year before my daughter was born because I knew it would be decades before I could justify that kind of purchase again. Lots of prior experience went into that buying decision, though, so it's been a good buy. Those "new" speakers? Purchased so I could reclaim floor space in our family room from the Apogee ribbons (with subwoofers) which preceded them, so I would have more room to play with our young kids. My 2-channel tube pre-amp? Sold for a multi-channel pre-pro, because the kids wanted surround sound.

I'm getting close to where you are and looking for places to provide the time and energy our kids won't be using anymore to other who would benefit.
I had lots of room so I kept various panels until about 2003. I just sort of froze the audio but the camera equipment/dark room went. Fancy $300 a couple dinners turned into ball pits and burgers. Didn't feel lack but stuff had to go.

Nov 11, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #6,439 of 7,050

Wish you all a nice day.
God bless you.

Dec 7, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #6,441 of 7,050
Im considering getting the Gungir multibit with Unison usb as an upgrade to my bifrost 2. Would it be worth the extra cost? or should I go straight to the yggy?

current amps are lp, wa 3, jot 2
If you skip back a few pages you can see my thoughts about a similar path. I have a Bifrost I MB and had a Gungnir delta-sigma which I upgraded to multi-bit and Unison. I can't really comment about Unison compared to other Schiit USB boards: I used my DAPs for sources until just recently.

I am surprisingly ambivalent about the Gungnir MB. The improvement in sound I heard when I added Bifrost to my system was immediately noticed and surprisingly large. Previously I had been using the analog output of my DAP into my head phone amp. Improvements brought by Gungnir DS were more subtle, but easily noticeable: more detail and subtlety in the bass, smoother less grainy highs. Overall, a more sophisticated, fuller, more engaging sound. Now, I could compare Bifrost and Gungnir side-by-side.

I sent my Gungnir off for new bits. When I got it back I didn't really hear that much difference compared to what I remembered the DS version sounded like. Of course, I couldn't perform an A-B comparison. I will say the multi-bit change did not do any harm: everything I liked about the Gungnir DS, I still like with the Gungnir MB. I am in the minority in this thread: most everyone else who has had their Gungnir multi-bitted has reported big improvement.

That said, Gungnir is as high on the Schiit DAC ladder as I'm going to climb. I enjoy its sound and from the reviews and thread posts I've read the improvements Yggdrasil provides I either wouldn't hear, or wouldn't value. So I'm going to be content with what I have.

Dec 8, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #6,443 of 7,050
If you skip back a few pages you can see my thoughts about a similar path. I have a Bifrost I MB and had a Gungnir delta-sigma which I upgraded to multi-bit and Unison. I can't really comment about Unison compared to other Schiit USB boards: I used my DAPs for sources until just recently.

I am surprisingly ambivalent about the Gungnir MB. The improvement in sound I heard when I added Bifrost to my system was immediately noticed and surprisingly large. Previously I had been using the analog output of my DAP into my head phone amp. Improvements brought by Gungnir DS were more subtle, but easily noticeable: more detail and subtlety in the bass, smoother less grainy highs. Overall, a more sophisticated, fuller, more engaging sound. Now, I could compare Bifrost and Gungnir side-by-side.

I sent my Gungnir off for new bits. When I got it back I didn't really hear that much difference compared to what I remembered the DS version sounded like. Of course, I couldn't perform an A-B comparison. I will say the multi-bit change did not do any harm: everything I liked about the Gungnir DS, I still like with the Gungnir MB. I am in the minority in this thread: most everyone else who has had their Gungnir multi-bitted has reported big improvement.

That said, Gungnir is as high on the Schiit DAC ladder as I'm going to climb. I enjoy its sound and from the reviews and thread posts I've read the improvements Yggdrasil provides I either wouldn't hear, or wouldn't value. So I'm going to be content with what I have.
I can second exactly what Mac described. I went from a Bifrost 2 MB to a Gumby MB (both with Unision USB). The Gungnir just brings out more details across the entire frequency range. That being said, if the rest of your equipment doesn't compliment the quality of the Gumby you might not hear a tremendous improvement over the BF2. Once I upgraded my amp and cables the difference was definitely noticable.

Dec 8, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #6,444 of 7,050
I can second exactly what Mac described. I went from a Bifrost 2 MB to a Gumby MB (both with Unision USB). The Gungnir just brings out more details across the entire frequency range. That being said, if the rest of your equipment doesn't compliment the quality of the Gumby you might not hear a tremendous improvement over the BF2. Once I upgraded my amp and cables the difference was definitely noticable.
Adding to what @busseysound says: I just posted a review of the Kennerton Rognir I got to listen to as part of a tour. With that head phone it was easy to identify the differences between all the Schiit we have in our house. Head phones are a relatively new phenomenon here, so we have lots of silver boxes from CA. I used a few different combinations, some more others less, but describe the differences, some times generally other times specifically, in my review:
Gungnir -> Sys -> Aegir
Bifrost -> Mjolnir
Gungnir -> Mjolnir
Modi -> Magni

I believe there are audible and identifiable differences between various pieces of Schiit. If you have mid-fi head phones you may not get any benefit from higher-end components. Heck, if you have mid-fi tastes, you might not value the differences; not a thing wrong with that. No point in not fitting your gear to your tastes and values. Those Rognir were very resolving in my opinion, and made hearing differences easier than with the head phones I own. Still, I'm listening to my antique Stax today...

Dec 8, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #6,445 of 7,050
Agreed! Exactly how I heard it.

Jan 14, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #6,446 of 7,050
How does the Gungnir DS streak up against the B2?

Jan 14, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #6,447 of 7,050
Hey guys - I'm looking to dip back into Schiit DACs. I've owned the Yggy GS and I had the Gumby a while back. I found the GS a bit dry but quite detailed. It was an excellent pairing with a warmer amp like the LP or ZMF cans like the Aeolus. Has anyone compared the Gumby to the GS and if so were their major differences? From what I remember, the Gumby had a wider soundstage while the GS was more technically impressive and had great bass.

Jan 14, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #6,448 of 7,050
Hey guys - I'm looking to dip back into Schiit DACs. I've owned the Yggy GS and I had the Gumby a while back. I found the GS a bit dry but quite detailed. It was an excellent pairing with a warmer amp like the LP or ZMF cans like the Aeolus. Has anyone compared the Gumby to the GS and if so were their major differences? From what I remember, the Gumby had a wider soundstage while the GS was more technically impressive and had great bass.
I have both, and while I found I like the Gumby more for headphone use, I like the GS more with my Magnepan speakers.

Jan 14, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #6,449 of 7,050
I have both, and while I found I like the Gumby more for headphone use, I like the GS more with my Magnepan speakers.

Thanks for chiming in. Why did you choose the Gumby for your headphones? I feel like the GS with Magnepans would be a very analytical experience imo.

Jan 14, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #6,450 of 7,050
Thanks for chiming in. Why did you choose the Gumby for your headphones? I feel like the GS with Magnepans would be a very analytical experience imo.
With the Mjolnir 1 I use for planars, I found the GS a little too harsh. With the speakers, perhaps my room not being treated smooths that’s out a bit. And I also add an SVS PC12 plus sub crossed over at 40 Hz to the 2 channel setup, while running the 1.7i at full range with a pair of Vidars (Freya S preamp)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back