Schiit Gungnir DAC
May 27, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #5,056 of 7,080
Thanks for the reply. I’m currently building my FLAC library but still have mostly 256 AAC. Does that factor in? Fortunately I can afford the Gungnir, but from other forum members I got the sense that updating all my music to FLAC first would be the bigger improvement. I’m not trying to start a lossy vs. lossless discussion. I’m just curious if any gains from the Gungnir would be cancelled by using 256 AAC. My experience so far has been that I’ve noticed improvement at each upgrade of DACs, AMPs, and headphones with both AAC and FLAC sounding better at each step.

Your ears will be the final judge, but the resolving capability of the Gumby is a step in the direction of helping you appreciate the differences between your 256 AAC and FLAC files. If it doesn't do enough for you to justify the cost, there is always the option to return it. I land in the camp of trying it sooner than later.

May 29, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #5,057 of 7,080
Hello all I'm just about to order a new Gumby and was wondering what the preferred input is USB or SPDIF, The reason I ask is some reviewers say it's best sound the Gumby is with SPDIF, I've never used that input I don't know, Thanks for any info..

May 29, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #5,058 of 7,080
I’ve only tried it a few times but haven’t noticed much of a difference between it and the USB which is what I mostly use. I have the delta-sigma version (for now) and I run it to a Liquid Carbon X to drive a Focal Elear (considering an upgrade to the Clear)

May 29, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #5,059 of 7,080
Hello all I'm just about to order a new Gumby and was wondering what the preferred input is USB or SPDIF, The reason I ask is some reviewers say it's best sound the Gumby is with SPDIF, I've never used that input I don't know, Thanks for any info..
What is your music source? If it's a laptop or computer then you'll be using USB unless you take extra effort and cost to get SPDIF out of it.

May 29, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #5,062 of 7,080
Yes. The pre-2016 Macs allow a Toslink connection. I have the Gungnir with the older USB and haven’t noticed that much of a difference however i can’t say I’ve actively compared and have only used the toslink connection to the Gung a few times. I’ll start using it again this week and report back any differences.

May 30, 2018 at 3:30 AM Post #5,063 of 7,080
Personal preference:

1 coax
2 optical
3 USB

USB sounds good but has less bass and air IMO. The difference is not huge but noticable after listening for hours and then switching using the same playlist. Using the iPurifer 2 from iFi didn’t help.

May 30, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #5,064 of 7,080
Personal preference:

1 coax
2 optical
3 USB

USB sounds good but has less bass and air IMO. The difference is not huge but noticable after listening for hours and then switching using the same playlist. Using the iPurifer 2 from iFi didn’t help.
Right - that is the same preference sequence that Mike recommends.

I, too, have a pre-2016 Macbook Pro, so have both optical and USB direct-connect options.

I started using the USB, pre-Gen5, but had drop-out issues. Too unstable...at times the music would stop and JRiver would lock up.
So, changed to optical - toslink direct from Mac to GMB. Totally stable and the sound was good.

Then, upgraded GMB to Gen5 USB. That's my preferred connection now.
It is uber-stable and, to my ears, sounds a bit better than optical.
The Gen5 USB is certainly the real deal...it works.

As always, FWIW and YMMV.
RCB

ps. You will love the sound of the GMB with your other nice equipment, @abvolt!

May 30, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #5,065 of 7,080
I have found the Gumby with BNC SPDIF cheap diy cable out of the D300 Cambridge CD player as a transport as better sounding (clearer, more detailed) than with USB Gen5 out of a cheap PC (Foobar, Wasapi) using a cheap short USB cable. I'm pretty sure the BNC SPDIF is the most promising interface.

May 30, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #5,067 of 7,080
Yeah, out of a CD player the BNC would be the way to go, for sure...just ask Mike.
I did just that and Mike Tyson told me to fckoff...
Actually, he said beat it, beat it, no one wants to be defeated...
:grin:

May 30, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #5,070 of 7,080
Thanks for all your answers I don't have coax and did notice the new Gumby does come with Gen 5 usb that's what I use thanks again all..enjoy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back