Schiit Gungnir DAC
May 16, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #5,026 of 7,049
Well i have to say right out of box this is amazing. Sound have more body allround, slam and i don´t know the word but detail. This is another planet after Lead Audio LA-100.

May 16, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #5,027 of 7,049
Well i have to say right out of box this is amazing. Sound have more body allround, slam and i don´t know the word but detail. This is another planet after Lead Audio LA-100.
Nice rig! Welcome to the GMB team. How do you like the Sennheiser HD660S?

May 16, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #5,028 of 7,049
I tried few phones like Hifiman Edition X v2, Focal Elear to mention some but hd660s was best for music what i listen. I like progressive stuff metal/heavy/rock mostly. Guitars are beautiful and still crunchy, bass is fast as it should but could extend bit more lower register. Mids are best part. so meaty and just whats the word, take you to another place and you just float. Treble is soft but still got some bite when it is needed.
Haha i´m so bad to describe phones. Also cause english ain´t my native language makes it difficult.

May 17, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #5,029 of 7,049
I tried few phones like Hifiman Edition X v2, Focal Elear to mention some but hd660s was best for music what i listen. I like progressive stuff metal/heavy/rock mostly. Guitars are beautiful and still crunchy, bass is fast as it should but could extend bit more lower register. Mids are best part. so meaty and just whats the word, take you to another place and you just float. Treble is soft but still got some bite when it is needed.
Haha i´m so bad to describe phones. Also cause english ain´t my native language makes it difficult.
Great -- thanks for the information. No need to be sorry about your english...I clearly got the message.
I asked because I'm thinking about buying the HD660S for my brother. He needs new headphones!
All the Best!
RCB

May 19, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #5,030 of 7,049
I'm still struggling with which DAC to get. I have been thinking of getting a Gumby, but I've never heard a multibit DAC and not sure if I'll like the sound. Also I'm still somewhat nervous about descriptions I've read in places where people think that all DACs sound the same above a certain level. My ultimate plan would be to run balanced with the Jotunheim.

From reading the forums I get the sense that many people think the Mimby is nearly identical in sound to the Bimby other than the USB gen5 and better power supply offering a quieter background. I have an iUSB 3.0 nano, but I'm not sure if that = gen5 USB.

My current thought is to try the Mimby first and see if I like/notice a difference with the multibit vs. delta sigma. Do you think I should be able to notice a difference with the Mimby vs. the Jotunheim DS DAC or iDSD BL?

May 19, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #5,031 of 7,049
I'm still struggling with which DAC to get. I have been thinking of getting a Gumby, but I've never heard a multibit DAC and not sure if I'll like the sound. Also I'm still somewhat nervous about descriptions I've read in places where people think that all DACs sound the same above a certain level. My ultimate plan would be to run balanced with the Jotunheim.

From reading the forums I get the sense that many people think the Mimby is nearly identical in sound to the Bimby other than the USB gen5 and better power supply offering a quieter background. I have an iUSB 3.0 nano, but I'm not sure if that = gen5 USB.

My current thought is to try the Mimby first and see if I like/notice a difference with the multibit vs. delta sigma. Do you think I should be able to notice a difference with the Mimby vs. the Jotunheim DS DAC or iDSD BL?
I have Mimby fed by Eitr. I have Gumby Gen 5. Gumby is a significant improvement over Mimby. More bass slam. Better microdynamics. More resolving (Mimby is really good, but Gumby is a much sharper sounding DAC - while remaining non-fatiguing to my ears). If doing so doesn't make you do something financially foolish, don't fiddle around. Get the Gumby and don't look back.

May 19, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #5,032 of 7,049

You will not be disappointed with the Gumby Multibit. I have compared it to several other cheaper Dacs and i can positively tell you the sound is MUCH fuller!

May 20, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #5,033 of 7,049

I understand what you are saying and it is (IMO) hard to buy gear which you can’t test at home for a longer period of time. Lucky enough, with Schiit gear you can and thats why I personally pulled the tricker for Gumby after spending 750€ on a fail which should be a clear win.

I had the Bifrost G5 and it sounded great (as in good enough for me) but with a better/different amp it fell short (synergy?). The Gumby was a perfect match for me because I have no fatique at all, a lot of goosbump moments (I really think it sounds better) and I can enjoy my HP without mods or equalizers. No money and no regrets whatsoever :.)

I’m with Luckbaer, try (get) the Gumby and don’t look back. If you are not blown away in a week, return it. If you find something better afterwards you should have no problem selling it.

May 20, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #5,034 of 7,049
I had a BiFrost as my first "real" DAC, it was D/S - this was before the days of the MB upgrades for Bifrost and Gungnir.

Then, I went to Gungnir (and later GMB) because I wanted a fully-balanced system.

The Gungnir is truly hardware-balanced, a much more advanced DAC than the Mimby and Bimby.
There is a description of what "hardware-balanced" means on the Schiit web site under Gungnir.

The upgrade from Gungnir to GMB was the best $500 I've spent on this hobby...it has amazing sound for the price!

Happy Listening -
RCB

May 20, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #5,035 of 7,049
I had a BiFrost as my first "real" DAC, it was D/S - this was before the days of the MB upgrades for Bifrost and Gungnir.

Then, I went to Gungnir (and later GMB) because I wanted a fully-balanced system.

The Gungnir is truly hardware-balanced, a much more advanced DAC than the Mimby and Bimby.
There is a description of what "hardware-balanced" means on the Schiit web site under Gungnir.

The upgrade from Gungnir to GMB was the best $500 I've spent on this hobby...it has amazing sound for the price!

Happy Listening -
RCB

Same story, same happiness,

May 21, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #5,036 of 7,049
I'm sure this has been covered before but now that i've had my Gumby + MJ2 for over a month i need to know. What is the consensus on leaving these units on the whole time? Is it bad/good/okay to just leave them on for days even weeks at a time? I'm just concerned because when i leave my MJ2 and Gumby for a few hours with no headphones plugged in it gets really hot so days at a time scares me a bit, thus i have been turning it on and off once a day usually turning it on and leaving it on for the rest of the day and then switching off before i go to bed. What do people think is the best for prolonging lifespan?

May 21, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #5,037 of 7,049
I'm sure this has been covered before but now that i've had my Gumby + MJ2 for over a month i need to know. What is the consensus on leaving these units on the whole time? Is it bad/good/okay to just leave them on for days even weeks at a time? I'm just concerned because when i leave my MJ2 and Gumby for a few hours with no headphones plugged in it gets really hot so days at a time scares me a bit, thus i have been turning it on and off once a day usually turning it on and leaving it on for the rest of the day and then switching off before i go to bed. What do people think is the best for prolonging lifespan?

Gumby benefits from being left on - it leave it on 24/7 (I did this with my Gumby and do with my Yggy). I'd turn the MJ2 on and off as needed - it warms up quickly and doesn't need the thermal stabilization that the Gumby circuitry does.

May 22, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #5,039 of 7,049
Tubes have a limited life, and they will burn out more quickly if you leave them on all the time.

The MJ2 Owners Manual says:
Can I leave Mjolnir on all the time?
You can, but we really recommend you power down the amp if you aren’t going to use it for an hour or more.
Mjolnir uses a reasonable amount of power, and runs pretty warm.

May 22, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #5,040 of 7,049
Mike recommends leaving the GMB powered on all the time. That's what I do. I turn off the (SS) amp after using the rig.
The sound is very consistent using this approach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back