Schiit Gungnir DAC
Jul 8, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #4,381 of 7,049
And then Google created a $35 bit perfect Chrome Cast Audio :)
I'm sorry, are you trying to make me feel bad in some way because I only needed to spend $35 instead of the, to you, unknown amount I spent on the BDP-1?

In any case, I like that I can control the BDP like a CD player. Is the Chrome Cast controllable by anything other than an app? And touchscreen don't like my fingertips so I avoid them like the plague...

Jul 8, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #4,382 of 7,049
Up till now, I have been using GMB's USB input fed by a microRendu (+Uptone LPS-1) and it does give good results. However, reading comments by @Baldr @winders and others, over the last couple of months or so, about the merits of GMB's S/PDIF input, or S/PDIF in general, persuaded me to give this approach a try. I managed to source a European version of the Singxer F-1 (it's called the Armature Hercate over here ... note to Head-Fiers in Europe), for a reasonable price of €209. The SQ difference is quite a bit better than USB on the GMB to my ears. Powering the Hercate with the Uptone LPS-1 gave even more improvements and I've been listening to this in preference to USB. A positive and worthwhile experiment.

Jul 13, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #4,383 of 7,049
I had used usb in my older dacs and discovered that coax out of my Asus Essence stx II audio card gave me much better resolution without as much noise. When I bought the Gumby tried both and settled on the Coax feed. Very quite and neutral. I like the Asus card as it has it's own connection to the power supply and doesn't have as much noise as getting power from the motherboard directly. It also uses quality parts that are well shielded. I tried the Denafrips Ares for a short time and returned it, not nearly as good as the Gumby. This is a very good piece of equipment and has a great value, cost to performance.

Jul 17, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #4,384 of 7,049
Anyone doing the Gen 5 USB update? I sent my Gumby in today. Will post on impressions when I get it back.

Jul 17, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #4,385 of 7,049
I just settled in with a Singxer SU-1 feeding my Gumby about a month ago. When I first saw the announcement today I was sure I was going to pull out the wallet and get in line, but, I think I am going to wait and see how this plays out.

Jul 17, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #4,386 of 7,049
I've had a new Gumby/Mjolnir 2 combo for a couple of weeks now. I'm feeding the USB with the microRendu and find it very acceptable. Listening thru my HD 800s reveals a nice black background and no noise that I can discern.

Jul 18, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #4,387 of 7,049
Anyone doing the Gen 5 USB update? I sent my Gumby in today. Will post on impressions when I get it back.
I did not send mine in as I thought the cost was too high for the unit to be repaired and shipped so I bought the slightly cheaper Standalone unit but it wasn't until later on in his blog that he said that they were going to send out the boards to be self installed in the show in the near future had I known that I would have waited got the card and it just install it myself but he didn't say that at first I already ordered the stand-alone unit I want to test this against the coax coming off the Asus sound card and see which one is better if this one isn't as good or better and it's going back so if you don't want to send your dick in you have two choices either by the Standalone unit or wait until they have boards ready to ship and just install it yourself that would have been my choice had I known it was going to be available during the block he said it was not it was going to have to be shipped so at any rate good luck with it I think it'll be a worthwhile thing to have right now coax sounds better than USB so if they can straighten out the USB and have it a coax output that should be pretty good time will tell

Jul 18, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #4,389 of 7,049
The benefit of the uSB Gen 5 and the upgrade board is that you don't have to use an extra power outlet and there are less connections with one less cable. Plus it's integrated into your DAC. Otherwise they offer the same function and improvements.

Jul 18, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #4,390 of 7,049
I've had a new Gumby/Mjolnir 2 combo for a couple of weeks now. I'm feeding the USB with the microRendu and find it very acceptable. Listening thru my HD 800s reveals a nice black background and no noise that I can discern.
While my USB is of the older generation I'm pleased with what I've been hearing. That said, I've being offered a return exchange with a waived fee so I can reorder a Gen 5 unit.

Schiit makes it very easy to relax and trust their good intentions to put the best and most affordable audio products into our hands. For me this adds up to more enjoyment and pleasure.

Jul 19, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #4,391 of 7,049
How's the non-multibit version of the gungnir sound? I see it uses the AKM 4399 Dac? Going by numbers alone, that sounds worse the 4490 that's in the much cheaper Modi and Fulla 2 units. Am I wrong in that?

I was thinking of getting the standard Gungnir for $850 rather than the Bifrost Multi for $600 and then getting the Multibit upgrade down the line.

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #4,392 of 7,049
Anyone know where I can get a short 6 or 8 inch SPDIF Coaxial RCA cable?

Want to get the EITR for a secondary setup with a Modi Multibit... I already have a 1 foot cable ... just wanted a real short one

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #4,393 of 7,049
How's the non-multibit version of the gungnir sound? I see it uses the AKM 4399 Dac? Going by numbers alone, that sounds worse the 4490 that's in the much cheaper Modi and Fulla 2 units. Am I wrong in that?

I was thinking of getting the standard Gungnir for $850 rather than the Bifrost Multi for $600 and then getting the Multibit upgrade down the line.
I've heard the whole Schiit line-up at CanJam SoCal this year and I personally own a Schiit Gungnir D-S. What I can remember is the Modi having a thinner sound compared to Bifrost and Gungnir. I remember immediately enjoying the Bifrost on first listen before I was blown away by the super-black backround and resolution of the Gungnir. I didn't know my T50RP could sound as amazing as it does with the Gungnir!

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #4,394 of 7,049
I've heard the whole Schiit line-up at CanJam SoCal this year and I personally own a Schiit Gungnir D-S. What I can remember is the Modi having a thinner sound compared to Bifrost and Gungnir. I remember immediately enjoying the Bifrost on first listen before I was blown away by the super-black backround and resolution of the Gungnir. I didn't know my T50RP could sound as amazing as it does with the Gungnir!

Thanks! So did you prefer the gungnir D-S over the M-B or did you settle for the former like i am thinking due to cost? Also, how did everything compare to the Yiggy? Was it hands down the best sounding of the bunch or was it questionable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back