Schiit Gungnir DAC
Aug 1, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #4,411 of 7,014
I haven't gotten my Gumby yet because it's backordered but I read a review that ranked the inputs as follows in terms of SQ and I was wondering if anyone else here has had similar results.

BNC> RCA SPDIF>optical SPDIF>USB

http://passionforsound.lachlanfennen.com/schiit-gungnir-multibit-dac-meet-gumby/

I don't have a BNC output on my computer but this review leads me believe it would be a good upgrade. Thoughts?
Do yourself a favor and grab a Schiit Eitr. USB>Coax SPDIF. It beats most converters regardless of price.

Aug 1, 2017 at 4:11 AM Post #4,412 of 7,014
Do yourself a favor and grab a Schiit Eitr. USB>Coax SPDIF. It beats most converters regardless of price.

I have an optical out already so won't be using usb. Mainly I wanted to know if people had the same experience as the reviewer with the bnc connection being superior .

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #4,413 of 7,014
I tried everything except BNC ... don't have it at source. IME S/PDIF coax beats USB hand down ... it's not a 'slight' difference, either. GMB's USB Gen 5, I understand, is a big improvement over Gen 2. Optical wasn't the same difference ... I'd say it was a small improvement. I'm currently using a Singxer F-1 (equivalent) USB-S/PDIF coax converter and this gives very good results in my setup (see sig). I have ordered the EITR, rather than upgrade the GMB at this stage ... it may even beat the F-1 but if not, it will also serve duty with another setup I have in the office. Shame the EITR doesn't output BNC but I guess that could be a more limited market and would increase cost/price and perhaps might not fit the small-factor case.

Aug 1, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #4,414 of 7,014
Don't worry about BNC with Eitr. Coax is fine. You can get a coax to BNC converter but at that point it's just more stuff in the signal path. Eitr is the Schiit, literally. My only complaint with it is it has a slight audio delay. Very slight, most won't notice it but with competitive gaming and music creation I do.

Aug 1, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #4,415 of 7,014
BNC is Coax. "The BNC (Bayonet Neill–Concelman) connector is a miniature quick connect/disconnect radio frequency connector used for coaxial cable." The signal uses the same S/PDIF protocol and goes to the same S/PDIF receiver based on the AKM 4113 chip. If you use a good 75 ohm impedance coaxial cable with the Coax input the results will be indistinguishable from using the BNC input.

Because the Coax input uses a universal RCA socket some people use crappy not even coaxial cables and post here how crappy the sound is. Because it is practically impossible to find a crappy BNC cable all the posts about the BNC input are positive. Hence the presumption that the BNC input is superior to the Coax while they are the same.

Aug 1, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #4,417 of 7,014
BNC is Coax. "The BNC (Bayonet Neill–Concelman) connector is a miniature quick connect/disconnect radio frequency connector used for coaxial cable." The signal uses the same S/PDIF protocol and goes to the same S/PDIF receiver based on the AKM 4113 chip. If you use a good 75 ohm impedance coaxial cable with the Coax input the results will be indistinguishable from using the BNC input.

Because the Coax input uses a universal RCA socket some people use crappy not even coaxial cables and post here how crappy the sound is. Because it is practically impossible to find a crappy BNC cable all the posts about the BNC input are positive. Hence the presumption that the BNC input is superior to the Coax while they are the same.

Agreed ... this is to me the one area where the quality and spec of cable IS truly important, the RCA S/PDIF Coax.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #4,418 of 7,014

Some common sense is always welcome around here! Big thanks for sharing this.

Aug 1, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #4,419 of 7,014
I haven't gotten my Gumby yet because it's backordered but I read a review that ranked the inputs as follows in terms of SQ and I was wondering if anyone else here has had similar results.

http://passionforsound.lachlanfennen.com/schiit-gungnir-multibit-dac-meet-gumby/

I don't have a BNC output on my computer but this review leads me believe it would be a good upgrade. Thoughts?

I think what you wrote about the quality of digital connections is consistent with what Mike @Baldr had posted earlier.
On top at #1 would be the AES/EBU, but only Yggy supports that, not Gungnir.

Personally, I am using an optical connection, and happy with it.

With the launch of the Gen 5 and Eitr, however, USB may leap ahead of optical into 3rd place.
I think if you are able to use BNC/RCA, which are almost the same, then use them.

Since my source is a Mac computer, I don't have the BNC/RCA option unless I use an intermediate converter. Therefore, the toslink.

Aug 1, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #4,420 of 7,014
I think what you wrote about the quality of digital connections is consistent with what Mike @Baldr had posted earlier.
On top at #1 would be the AES/EBU, but only Yggy supports that, not Gungnir.

Personally, I am using an optical connection, and happy with it.

With the launch of the Gen 5 and Eitr, however, USB may leap ahead of optical into 3rd place.
I think if you are able to use BNC/RCA, which are almost the same, then use them.

Since my source is a Mac computer, I don't have the BNC/RCA option unless I use an intermediate converter. Therefore, the toslink.

It goes something like this today: BNC about equals Coax about equals Gen 5 USB>TOS>>Gen 3 USB. "About equals" means close to very close with tradeoffs.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 1, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #4,421 of 7,014
I wish all stereos had BNC connectors instead of the annoying RCA. No loose connections that way.

@Baldr, tradeoffs?

Aug 2, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #4,422 of 7,014
I wish all stereos had BNC connectors instead of the annoying RCA. No loose connections that way.

@Baldr, tradeoffs?

I worked in the broadcast industry for a while back when a lot of BNC connectors where used for analog video. They are much more reliable and robust than RCA connectors but to state no loose connections is not correct. I saw a lot of BNC connectors with sloppy tolerances and a lot that had faulty and intermittent cable to connector assembly. BNC connectors do not solve all cable issues. A lot of time was spent chasing faulty cable connections.

Aug 2, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #4,424 of 7,014

Since the Gen 5 USB has come out and will come with your Gumby, that evaluation is obsolete. Initial Gen 5 USB reviews from users are quite good -- on par with SPDIF. Regarding AES vs SPDIF vs BNC, here are Jason's comments regarding the differences.

Aug 2, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #4,425 of 7,014
If anyone needs more details on the differences among AES, BNC, S/PDIF they are super easy to find: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF#Hardware_specifications
AES has the highest signal output level (7V), then BNC (1.2V), then Coax (0.6V); max cable lengths - 100m, 1000m, 10m respectively. AES and BNC were designed for professional applications where one would need to run hundreds of meters of cable (concerts, large studios etc.), S/PDIF - for consumer applications. If your AES, BNC, coaxial cable is under 10m of length there should be virtually no difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back