Schiit Gungnir DAC
May 7, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #3,616 of 7,216
Is anyone else running the Gumby using both single-ended outputs? I'm having a weird issue where I have the Gumby feeding both a Peachtree Nova65SE integrated amp and a Violectric headphone amp, each from a separate single-ended output. My integrated amp's bass sounds really distorted and muddy unless my headphone amp is also on. This happens using both speakers and the headphone out on my integrated amp.

In other words:

Integrated amp ON + Headphone amp OFF = distortion
Integrated amp ON + Headphone amp ON = no distortion
Integrated amp OFF + Headphone amp ON = no distortion

Weird...

May 7, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #3,617 of 7,216
  Is anyone else running the Gumby using both single-ended outputs? I'm having a weird issue where I have the Gumby feeding both a Peachtree Nova65SE integrated amp and a Violectric headphone amp, each from a separate single-ended output. My integrated amp's bass sounds really distorted and muddy unless my headphone amp is also on. This happens using both speakers and the headphone out on my integrated amp.

In other words:

Weird...

Cannot say I ever had exactly your setup, because while I would occasionally have both single-ended outputs connect to amps in various states of being on/off, I also always had my balanced output connected to a balanced amplifier, also in some random state of on/off.

My guess is I've tried every variation, and never encountered what you are describing. I will certainly be testing for that as I currently have a single-ended amplifier, and another single-ended amplifier on order (my previous balanced amplifier is sold and a new one is on order, but 3 months off). I'll let you know if I hear any anomalies.

May 7, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #3,618 of 7,216
I have no idea what's wrong but will be fascinated by the answer! You'd sort of expect it to work the other way around wouldn't you?   Have you asked Schiit their opinion?  Their service is good.

May 7, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #3,619 of 7,216
  I have no idea what's wrong but will be fascinated by the answer! You'd sort of expect it to work the other way around wouldn't you?   Have you asked Schiit their opinion?  Their service is good.

Yeah, shot them a note to ask their opinion. I'm guessing they'll say it's something to do with either a grounding issue or a problem with my integrated amp since the distortion only shows up on the integrated and not the headphone amp. If anything, the amp is from Amazon so it can be returned with a minimum of fuss, but it's just a pain in the butt since I really like the amp.
  Cannot say I ever had exactly your setup, because while I would occasionally have both single-ended outputs connect to amps in various states of being on/off, I also always had my balanced output connected to a balanced amplifier, also in some random state of on/off.

My guess is I've tried every variation, and never encountered what you are describing. I will certainly be testing for that as I currently have a single-ended amplifier, and another single-ended amplifier on order (my previous balanced amplifier is sold and a new one is on order, but 3 months off). I'll let you know if I hear any anomalies.

Let me know what you discover!

May 7, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #3,620 of 7,216

In other words:

Weird...

I don't have the Gumby but I have experienced the same thing recently.

Audio-gd DAC-19 feeding Schiit Ragnarok SE and Liquid Carbon SE. When the LC is off, there is a very noticeable distortion with the Ragnarok. Switched on the LC, the distortion is gone.

Replaced the LC with Lambert's PIBE, whether ON or Off, there's no distortion with the Rok. So I don't know if it is amp specific. Grounding perhaps?

May 8, 2016 at 3:42 AM Post #3,621 of 7,216
Just put a deposit down at Addicted to Audio in Sydney - looking forward to collecting it when there is stock.
Sounded as good if not better as the Yggdrasil in the store - but then and again, the Yggdrasil there was brand new (I was the first person to demo it and requested it to be unboxed
wink_face.gif
) and so hadn't been burnt in at all.

May 8, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #3,622 of 7,216
Curious. What did you put a deposit down on :confused:

Just put a deposit down at Addicted to Audio in Sydney - looking forward to collecting it when there is stock.
Sounded as good if not better as the Yggdrasil in the store - but then and again, the Yggdrasil there was brand new (I was the first person to demo it and requested it to be unboxed :wink_face: ) and so hadn't been burnt in at all.

May 8, 2016 at 6:01 AM Post #3,624 of 7,216
Sounded as good if not better as the Yggdrasil in the store - but then and again, the Yggdrasil there was brand new (I was the first person to demo it and requested it to be unboxed
wink_face.gif
) and so hadn't been burnt in at all.

was gonna ask where the Yggdrasil was when I was there a few weeks back, turns out I missed out haha. Very happy with my Gumby so far though

May 8, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #3,625 of 7,216

Audio-gd DAC-19 feeding Schiit Ragnarok SE and Liquid Carbon SE. When the LC is off, there is a very noticeable distortion with the Ragnarok. Switched on the LC, the distortion is gone.

Replaced the LC with Lambert's PIBE, whether ON or Off, there's no distortion with the Rok. So I don't know if it is amp specific. Grounding perhaps?

Interesting. It does seem like it's amp-specific then. Potentially a grounding issue. Thanks for the input!

May 8, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #3,626 of 7,216
Well then I could post my results, but they probably would not help.
Amplifiers I have used are:

1. JDS Labs The Element
  2. Meier Audio Corda Rock
  3. Schiit Valhalla 2
  4. DNA Sonett

All were used while Cavalli Liquid Carbon was plugged into the balanced outputs.

May 8, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #3,627 of 7,216
  Well then I could post my results, but they probably would not help.
Amplifiers I have used are:

1. JDS Labs The Element
  2. Meier Audio Corda Rock
  3. Schiit Valhalla 2
  4. DNA Sonett

All were used while Cavalli Liquid Carbon was plugged into the balanced outputs.

Any results are helpful. The fact that @lukeap69 got the same effect when using a completely different DAC leads me to think it's an issue with how certain amps are grounded or designed perhaps. We'll see what Schiit says when they respond to my question.

May 9, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #3,628 of 7,216
In that case very interested to hear what you think if you get another chance to compare Gumby and Yggy - this time with the latter in thermal equilibrium or 'broken in' or whatever.

OTOH it might be better you don't compare again :evil:

Gungnir Multibit :)

May 9, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #3,629 of 7,216

In other words:

Weird...

Very odd. I always have all the outputs on my Gumby connected: XLR to my Xindak integrated amp and both RCA single-ended to La Figaro 339 and Cavalli CTH. I haven't noticed any issues when only one amp is on. However, I will do some tests to see if I can notice a difference and report back. 

Best of luck solving this...

May 9, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #3,630 of 7,216

In other words:

Weird...

Some amps short the inputs that aren't being used, either when switched off or another input is selected while switched on. The purpose is to stop the input interfering with the signals while a different input is selected. I found this out the hard way with an Audio-gd amp which I had to remove internal jumpers on to prevent the same thing happening with my Yggdrasil. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back