Schiit Gungnir DAC
May 9, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #3,631 of 7,216
Some amps short the inputs that aren't being used, either when switched off or another input is selected while switched on. The purpose is to stop the input interfering with the signals while a different input is selected. I found this out the hard way with an Audio-gd amp which I had to remove internal jumpers on to prevent the same thing happening with my Yggdrasil. 

Thanks for the info Amos! That explains it. The LC has both SE & Balanced inputs. The PIBE has only one set of SE input.

May 9, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #3,632 of 7,216

Some amps short the inputs that aren't being used, either when switched off or another input is selected while switched on. The purpose is to stop the input interfering with the signals while a different input is selected. I found this out the hard way with an Audio-gd amp which I had to remove internal jumpers on to prevent the same thing happening with my Yggdrasil. 

Fascinating!

So to experiment, what I'll do is listen to my second single-ended amplifier when my first single-ended amplifier (MicroZOTL2) is both switched to the input from the Gumby and switched to the other input. And if there is an issue, I'll be certain to let the folks at Linear Tube Audio know. They've been highly responsive to issues I have had to date.

My second single-ended amplifier may have a loop out, but it has no switched input.

Thanks!

May 9, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #3,633 of 7,216
  Is anyone else running the Gumby using both single-ended outputs? I'm having a weird issue where I have the Gumby feeding both a Peachtree Nova65SE integrated amp and a Violectric headphone amp, each from a separate single-ended output. My integrated amp's bass sounds really distorted and muddy unless my headphone amp is also on. This happens using both speakers and the headphone out on my integrated amp.

In other words:

Integrated amp ON + Headphone amp OFF = distortion
Integrated amp ON + Headphone amp ON = no distortion
Integrated amp OFF + Headphone amp ON = no distortion

Weird...

Yes, I have connected LC and WA6-SE.
LC must be turned on, otherwise WA6-SE sounds distorted...

May 9, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #3,634 of 7,216

Amos, you nailed it. Just got this back from Schiit late last night (their support folks were working through their queue pretty late):

"That means the Vioelectric is most likely shunting the inputs when switched off which is causing issues since the two outputs are paralleled. If you can disable the muting feature that would solve the problem."

"I’ve commonly seen it, and based on the issue only happening with the Vioelectric off it sound like the case."

May 9, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #3,635 of 7,216
Reading these comments make me a little concerned partly because I'm not sure exactly what's going on...

Does this issue only happen when two amps are plugged into Gumby?

May 9, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #3,636 of 7,216
  Reading these comments make me a little concerned partly because I'm not sure exactly what's going on...

Yes.
But it has more to do with the topology of the amplifier (specifically when the amplifier is powered off or switched to a second input) than it has to do with Gumby.

If I am correctly following the 15 threads we share...
biggrin.gif

You are planning to run XLR into Liquid Carbon and RCA into Black Widow (my plan too), and thus you will have no issues.

May 9, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #3,637 of 7,216

It's not really an "issue" per se as it is not the fault of the Gumby whatsoever, and isn't a design limitation on Schiit's part at all. Any DAC with parallel single-ended outputs would have the same issue, it seems. Also, my workaround is pretty easy in that I just leave my Violectric amp on, but the headphone output of it switched off. It's more of a minor annoyance than anything, and is the fault of the muting feature of the headphone amp doing what it's designed to do. It's not a fault with any of the products involved, but just a funny interaction between different pieces of equipment.

And again, this is only if you're using BOTH single-ended outputs, and only if one of the two amps shunts the inputs when turned off. 

I love my Gumby, and this weirdness hasn't diminished that whatsoever.

May 9, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #3,638 of 7,216
Originally Posted by sheldaze /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But it has more to do with the topology of the amplifier (specifically when the amplifier is powered off or switched to a second input) than it has to do with Gumby.

If I am correctly following the 15 threads we share...
biggrin.gif

You are planning to run XLR into Liquid Carbon and RCA into Black Widow (my plan too), and thus you will have no issues.

Haha that's right! We can be gear buddies :) 

It's not really an "issue" per se as it is not the fault of the Gumby whatsoever, and isn't a design limitation on Schiit's part at all. Any DAC with parallel single-ended outputs would have the same issue, it seems. Also, my workaround is pretty easy in that I just leave my Violectric amp on, but the headphone output of it switched off. It's more of a minor annoyance than anything, and is the fault of the muting feature of the headphone amp doing what it's designed to do. It's not a fault with any of the products involved, but just a funny interaction between different pieces of equipment.

And again, this is only if you're using BOTH single-ended outputs, and only if one of the two amps shunts the inputs when turned off. 

I love my Gumby, and this weirdness hasn't diminished that whatsoever.

Good to know! Now I just gotta wait for gumby's "backordered" status to change 

May 10, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #3,639 of 7,216
My initial Gungnir MB impressions....
Equipment-
Ascend acoustic RAAL towers
Parasound A21 amp
Parasound P7 preamp
Parasound Zdac
Dedicated custom Music pic feeding dac via usb

I was able to A/B the two dacs by running a usb out of my pc into each dac, then balanced out from the Schiit and Rca outs from the Zdac into the P7. I use Jriver so I created two zones, linked them and played some tracks. By flipping the input on the P7 it was easy to toggle back and forth.

The differences were noticeable. The Schiit was more laid back, less top end sizzle. The Zdac was brighter. Tough to say which one is more true to source. I felt the Schiit had a cleaner background, an overall smooth sound. I only had less than an hour to mess around. Verdict is still out yet:). Curious if others have had similar experiences? Does the multi bit Schiit dacs sound warmer overall and is this more accurate???

More to come!

Brandon

May 10, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #3,640 of 7,216
 The differences were noticeable. The Schiit was more laid back, less top end sizzle. The Zdac was brighter. Tough to say which one is more true to source. I felt the Schiit had a cleaner background, an overall smooth sound. I only had less than an hour to mess around. Verdict is still out yet:). Curious if others have had similar experiences? Does the multi bit Schiit dacs sound warmer overall and is this more accurate???

Compared to Yggdrasil, Schiit tuned the Gumby and Bimby to sound laid back, warm and smooth while having excellent detail and excellent soundstage. I'd say it's more euphonic than accurate. The more accurate sound is the sound signature from Yggdrasil.

May 11, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #3,643 of 7,216
From this post:

Originally Posted by Stillhart

1. The GMB’s SE output sounds noticeably worse (mids are very recessed) than the balanced output.  This is very easily tested on the LC.  Do not buy this one if you are not using it in balanced mode.  Think of it as a balanced-only DAC.  For SE the DAC-19 is clearly better.

This is kinda concerning... 

May 11, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #3,644 of 7,216
hi guys I am going to buy LCD2 and wonder what dac I am going to buy, I am thinking either Multibit bifrost or Gungnir. Though decision for me, not as experienced. Any thought? Will there be a clear difference? between the two?
smily_headphones1.gif

May 11, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #3,645 of 7,216
This is kinda concerning... 

I've compared SE output of GD-19, GMB, and Yiggy at home on my NAIM/Dynaudio system. The GD-19 was the distant third of the three. Both pieces of Schiit were fabulous in different ways. I've never heard any of them balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back