Schiit Gungnir DAC
Oct 14, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #2,731 of 7,223
  TubemanRQ, thanks for posting the pictures. That looks like a similar driver config to the Linkwitz Orion, except with an extra midrange and a different tweeter. Did you base your speaker on Linkwitz's dipole speaker work?

Hi! Yes, Siegfried was an inspiration, and I acquired these drivers originally to do an Orion-inspired design with an extra 8" driver. I used Seas Millenium tweeters for years in this system, which is the hole you see in the main baffle. I then purchased the Dayton Audio AMT-PRO 4 air-motion transformers. I feel they perform better than the Seas Millenium tweeters. They are also dipole! No need to have two tweeters with one wired out of phase and firing backwards. The distortion is very very low, and they measure very smooth within their designed frequency range.

This system has allowed me to appreciate what the Schiit Gungnirs do, D/S or multibit.

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #2,732 of 7,223
  It sure is GLORIOUS!  I would love to hear how your system came about especially the thought process. Ever think about starting a thread in the DIY section? 

I have no idea what the function of those things that look like metal shutters are, heat sinks? Baffles?

Thanks for posting pix. It was messier than I imagined, but about what I expected.

I think you are talking about the 24" tall midrange planar magnetic drivers. ATC is the company that makes them. Their frequency response is 300Hz to about 15kHz, but I use them from 550Hz to 900Hz. ATC also makes the LRAD and other public-address systems.

They are very efficient at 97db/ 1 Watt/ 1 Meter, so they only need that 25 watt small class-T amp on top of the one multibit Gungnir.

When I first heard an open-baffle system, it was because I was too lazy to build the boxes for the Hammer Dynamics Super 12 kit I purchased. The drivers sounded SOOO amazing with just a baffle board with a hole cut out for them, and mounted with simple brackets, that I never bothered finishing the cabinets.

Every thing I do to my system, the Gungnirs, especially the multibit, conveys audible changes. I feel that there is MUCH more improvement I can do to this system with further tweaking of the crossovers, and doing more testing with polar response, and phasing relationship. It's a LOT of work but is my passion.

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #2,733 of 7,223
  Very cool setup.  Never doubted you.  You always sounded like you knew what you were talking about from tech standpoint.  Next step: cable management! Ha.  Very nice setup. 

Cable management, easier said than done! haha.  What I don't want is to just lay all the cabling so that the audio-carrying cables start being infected by the power cables. At the least you should cross signal-carrying cables and power cables at a 90 degree angle. With 5 amps, and 5 DACS, 3 WYRDS, and 3 Behringer SRC 2496s, there's a lot of cables everywhere, and the dual-PC setup utilizing JPlay hihg-end playback software.

Oct 15, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #2,735 of 7,223

Let us know when that time comes, we will buy your used Gumbys. I only need one though :)

Wellllllll, thanks for the offer!  I probably won't have a need to "recoup" money and will certainly want the AMAZING Gumbys for probably a second system, or use one for my PC gaming, etc. Also have one sitting around to schlep over to friends houses to let them hear this amazing DAC in their OWN systems.

Soooo, I will probably be hanging onto my audio gear. I learned about 18 years ago to be very careful about selling audio gear. I wish I NEVER EVER EVER had sold my Theta DSPRO Progeny A Revision DAC! I had regretted it ever since, until I got these Gumbys.

Cheers!

Oct 15, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #2,736 of 7,223
  Wellllllll, thanks for the offer!  I probably won't have a need to "recoup" money and will certainly want the AMAZING Gumbys for probably a second system, or use one for my PC gaming, etc. Also have one sitting around to schlep over to friends houses to let them hear this amazing DAC in their OWN systems.

Soooo, I will probably be hanging onto my audio gear. I learned about 18 years ago to be very careful about selling audio gear. I wish I NEVER EVER EVER had sold my Theta DSPRO Progeny A Revision DAC! I had regretted it ever since, until I got these Gumbys.

Cheers!

I happen to have just come from a meeting about how public and private agencies can help address hoarding, when it reaches dangerous levels in a community.  Watch out for that mindset!  ("Oh, I'll keep a few more _____'s around in case 'someone else', not me, wants it...")

Oct 15, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #2,737 of 7,223
I happen to have just come from a meeting about how public and private agencies can help address hoarding, when it reaches dangerous levels in a community.  Watch out for that mindset!  ("Oh, I'll keep a few more _____'s around in case 'someone else', not me, wants it...")

I be a happy audio hoarder, yea can not have enough amps lol:D

Oct 15, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #2,738 of 7,223
I be a happy audio hoarder, yea can not have enough amps lol:D

You're not a hoarder RD. Nah, more of a connoisseur collector. 
wink.gif

Oct 15, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #2,739 of 7,223

You're not a hoarder RD. Nah, more of a connoisseur collector. 
wink.gif

I'm sure you're right about that.  BTW, most hoarders think they are collectors.  Most collectors are NOT hoarders.
My test:  a collector is proud of their collection and would like to show it to you, in part because they organize and take care of it.  But a hoarder does not want to show you his stuff, he/she is usually ashamed to show it.
Back to topic: Schiit rocks!

Oct 15, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #2,740 of 7,223
Yes, Schiit rocks...

I just came home and listened for the first time to my Gumby that came back from Schiit today after upgrade. I am completely satisfied, everything I hoped for became reality. It is somehow more precise and more present, as far as I can tell, even cold out of the box. At the same time it is smoother and less aggressive. There were recordings, especially piano, where I could hear clearly digital artifacts with the old Gungnir. Whenever a rather percussive beginning of a note had to develop all the harmonics in order to sound natural, I could hear something that I would describe as a digital shadow... maybe some people understand what I mean.

However, this is gone. In the case of not so perfect recordings the Gumby does not slap the imperfections in your face. Better recordings are breathtaking. I am very happy how natural everything sounds.

Just for reference, I use a Parasound P5/A23 combo and Brocksieper Minara loudspeakers, and a Lyr 2 with Amperex Bugle Boys and HD650 headphones.

In the spirit of Jason Stoddard's latest chapter I can say: I arrived, no more improvements necessary. I have heard better gear, but this is as perfect and natural as I can hope to achieve. Done.

Also, the service of Schiit was outstanding!! I created a logistic nightmare: I wanted to have the input selector checked out while the Gungnir was at Schitt, wanted the upgrade, ordered an European power supply for my Wyrd (I am giving it to my dad in Germany) that I wanted to have sent with the upgraded Gungnir, and needed everything to be sent to a Fedex location because people steal packages from my doorsteps. Schiit did it all, very professional and quickly. Thank you for the great support!!!!

Oct 15, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #2,741 of 7,223
I need to send in my Gungnir...I just have too many hobbies, but I will get around to it before long. 

Since it's still USB Gen 2 there are no driver changes when used with a PC correct? Any setting changes required with J.River MC 21? 
Thanks!

Oct 16, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #2,742 of 7,223
  I need to send in my Gungnir...I just have too many hobbies, but I will get around to it before long. 

Since it's still USB Gen 2 there are no driver changes when used with a PC correct? Any setting changes required with J.River MC 21? 
Thanks!

no changes required!

Oct 17, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #2,743 of 7,223
So I'm planning to get the Gumby, as far as cables go, I have zilch. So for the xlr balanced and USB cables, any monoprice cable would do or shall I order PYST along with the Gumby??

Also I have no idea about my USB quality from my PC or laptop, so do I get a WYRD too??

Oct 17, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #2,744 of 7,223
Any monoprice cable will do. If your USB connection is longer than the standard PYST USB cable, then you will most likely benefit from a WYRD. I have an extended USB cable, and am thinking about getting a WYRD, or switching to optical out.

Oct 17, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #2,745 of 7,223
So I'm planning to get the Gumby, as far as cables go, I have zilch. So for the xlr balanced and USB cables, any monoprice cable would do or shall I order PYST along with the Gumby??

Also I have no idea about my USB quality from my PC or laptop, so do I get a WYRD too??

I suggest you get the Wyrd also. And cables you need. Schiit cables are reasonably priced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back